Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Having to unplug the Pre from the touchstone, and plug it into the computer's USB is such a pain whenever I want to move some music or video files to and from the Pre.

There has to be a way to sync media through WIFI on my network. Anyone have any tips? or apps?
    What kind of computer?

If your Pre is rooted and SMB or SFTP setup, you can use a script that will always keep a certain folder synced with the Pre.

For example, on my OS X box I would write a script that would first look for the Pre on the network. If it doesn't see it on my WiFi network is doesn't do anything. If it does find it I can set it to run rsync to sync the folder on my Mac to a folder on the Pre. I can set the script to run every X amount of time on the Mac using crontab.

Setup will be a bit of a pain but once setup it should work great.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    No, my Pre's not rooted. Any way to do it without that? If not, could you give me a link to read about how to do that?

I'm on Windows 7. I don't need it to be always synced up. I just want to be able to drag stuff onto my Pre wirelessly every now and then.
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post
    No, my Pre's not rooted. Any way to do it without that? If not, could you give me a link to read about how to do that?

I'm on Windows 7. I don't need it to be always synced up. I just want to be able to drag stuff onto my Pre wirelessly every now and then.
    You will need to root the Pre in order to open up a way to transfer data over the WiFi connection. It's the only way.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    What kind of computer?

If your Pre is rooted and SMB or SFTP setup, you can use a script that will always keep a certain folder synced with the Pre.

For example, on my OS X box I would write a script that would first look for the Pre on the network. If it doesn't see it on my WiFi network is doesn't do anything. If it does find it I can set it to run rsync to sync the folder on my Mac to a folder on the Pre. I can set the script to run every X amount of time on the Mac using crontab.

Setup will be a bit of a pain but once setup it should work great.
    Just curious, so you leave the rsync daemon running on the Pre for your script (or was this just a hypothetical thing)? Tried writing a script for Linux that would automatically start rsync, backup, then kill the process, but it doesn't seem to like me executing commands from another terminal.

Anyway, just curious to see how you set it up, if you did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Just curious, so you leave the rsync daemon running on the Pre for your script (or was this just a hypothetical thing)? Tried writing a script for Linux that would automatically start rsync, backup, then kill the process, but it doesn't seem to like me executing commands from another terminal.

Anyway, just curious to see how you set it up, if you did.
    No need to run rsync on the Pre. Everything is running on my OS X box. The only thing running on the Pre is SFTP.
    Thanks. I'm definitely going to look into setting this up when i get home.