1.    #1  
    On more than 10 occasions, I have had my phone dial 911 when attempting to unlock. This has resulted in the Chicago Police Department calling me back on at least 3 occasions.

None of my previous phones had the EMERGENCY key on the dial pad. When locked you could still dial 911, but there was no way to accidently press the CALL 911 EMERGENCY KEY.

PLEASE REMOVE THIS FROM THE NEXT GENERATION OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM OR, AT THE VERY LEAST, ALLOW US TO DISABLE OR REMOVE THE KEY AT OUR DISGRESSION!

We don't need to be calling emergency services by pressing a key that should not be there in the first place!

Thank you!
    Bruce Barnes
    Chicago IL
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I did that last night by accident. Thankfully I hung up in time. I personally think the emergency call button should allow you to dial a number, not dial 911 as soon as you hit the green call button. If you are fumbling around with the phone it is awfully easy to hit the green call button by accident.

In the Pres defense, their method of unlocking the phone is far superior to what was on the Instinct. I lost count of how many times I sent random text messages to people or called random people before putting on a lock code. I would accidently unlock the phone as I slipped it into my pocket and well a resistive touch screen in a pocket can do some unexpected things
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    I went to look at my dial pad to make sure I don't do this by accident someday ... and I can't see any emergency key. Where is it and what does it look like?
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    I went to look at my dial pad to make sure I don't do this by accident someday ... and I can't see any emergency key. Where is it and what does it look like?
    You will only see this if you use a code to unlock the phone, it's not on the regular dial pad.

Before I got my Pre, one of my coworkers showing me his hit the emergency button. He hung up quickly but they called back.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Oh lala i did this once and they called back from a local number so when i answered im like who is this shes like the police department and i said my bad and went on . but definitely looks like i will look into making a patch so that we can get this problem fixed. maybe add a hold to the button instead of a tap
    I haven't actually accidentally dialed 911 to date thankfully, but there have been quite a few occasions when I was fumbling with my phone and to my horror I saw 911 on there ready to dial. Palm needs to fix that. It should not enter the number automatically ... it's too easy to make a false alarm.
    Just for a comparison, the iPhone has a slide button to call 911 on the lock screen so it's harder to do accidentally.
    Yeah... dragging up the "Emergency Call" button to actually dial seems like a good idea
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinejag View Post
    Just for a comparison, the iPhone has a slide button to call 911 on the lock screen so it's harder to do accidentally.
    If I recall correctly, on the iPhone lock screen there is an "Emergency Call" button that takes you to a dial pad where you must press 9 - 1 - 1 - Talk to actually dial 911. This makes it just about impossible to accidentally dial 911 on the iPhone.

I used to have another Sprint phone (not a smartphone) that was even more dumb as the Pre in this respect. If the keys were locked, it was easy for the phone to accidentally dial 911 while it was in your pocket. Essentially, the phone filtered out any keys pressed except 9 - 1 - 1 in that order. So, if you pressed 527595568174614554 (or any other digits with 9 - 1 -1 somewhere in that order) and then "talk" the phone would call 911. Stupid user interface on that phone.
    If you have root or know how to use WebOS Quick Install:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ted-911-a.html

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    thanks abyssul for posting that link, just started reading this thread today, and that helps without having to do alot of searching
    Happened to me yesterday and the state police called me back. I don't want to disable it but would like to make it a little harder so that I don't do it by mistake again.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemike View Post
    Happened to me yesterday and the state police called me back. I don't want to disable it but would like to make it a little harder so that I don't do it by mistake again.
    Currently, it's an all or nothing scenario until the developing community further expands on this. (HAHAH like Palm will fix anything?) You could also make that button pull up a dialpad, but then anyone can access to your phone app, but not the rest without the PIN.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Ug. I've called the CHP twice now. Thanks for posting the link. That's next on my list of tweaks.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Well, if your 911 call actually makes it far enough to actually ring in the PSAP center, they -have- to call you back.

I agree tho, Palm needs to tweak that.
    I dont understand what you guys are talking about... where is this button?