Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious as to how many of you guys have insurance? I just got it on day 29 so i could keep it as an option for now. Thinking about canceling it now tho. Any opinions?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I've always had insurance on my phones, and it's come in handy on a couple of occasions... the money isn't that big of a deal to me, so it's worth it for the piece of mind. The two claims I've had to make were pretty painless.
    USAA Homeowners Computer Insurance rider $8K in coverage for $26 a year.
    $100 deductible.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    the thing to note about adding it to your home owners policy is that if you use it too many times during a year (too many times could be 2), then at minimum your rider will be cancelled (if you're lucky) and if you're unlucky, your entire homeowners policy will be canceled.

basically, learned from my parents experience, you don't nickle and dime your homeowners policy because they will cancel you for too many claims where too many is a relatively small number. In their case, they had one big issue (flood in basement, issue #1) and then a relatively small minor issue (forget what it was, but only a few hundred to very low thousand in damages), and while the insurance company reimbursed them for #2, the policy was then canceled and they went through a lot of pain to get another one.
    I think insurance is a must have for these type of phones... think of all the iphone owners that lost their phone or damaged it, and had to pay $600.00 to get a new one, b/c AT&T won't let you get insurance on the phone? it has happened to a few of my co-workers already
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I have the insurance on my phone, you never know what could happen to it at any given time.
    I don't currently have it but I do plan to add it since I am on my third week. Does anyone have an opinion about getting Sprint TEP vs. Best Buys (higher priced) extended protection?
    Never heard anything good about best buy, quite the opposite in fact.

I have insurance through sprint and my phone broke on vacation. Paid $100 for a brand new pre through Asurion, which arrived in 24 hours. You may get a refurb but they have some limited 30 day guarantee as well.
    State Farm is covering my phone, it's called a personal articles policy.

I'm not sure if they would write a policy for just a phone, but I already have auto and renter's with the same agent, as well as a personal articles policy on my expensive firearms. So I called up my agent, and he said it was no problem to cover the phone with the same personal articles policy I already had: $550 of coverage for the phone, zero deductible, ~$22 per year for coverage. Excellent deal.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I had to replace my phone and I was glad I had the insurance. The new phone is built much better than the old one. I have also had no issues.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    The pre is the first phone I've ever gotten insurance for. I'm usually pretty careful with my phones but with the problems I read early on I decided to get it just in case. Now i just like the piece of mind knowing if something does happen, its there
    I have it and use it. It's saved my **** 3 times now, definitely worth the extra little bit of money.
    and for dannyg, i don't know about the finer points of BB's extended protection, but if its really anything like Radioshack's TEP is far more comprehensive, all 3 Asurion claimed replacements i've had wouldn't have been covered under RS's Service Plan
    always had insurance on my phones. pretty lucky that they are actually insuring these phones.. i say go for it..
  14. j._
    Yeah.. it's been great having it. I was on vacation and they overnighted us a new one in August to my Aunt's. I've had good experiences with the insurance and no hassles (had to replace several blackberries in the past).
    I have TEP from sprint, and I'm on my third phone covered under palm's warranty... I'm not a big fan of getting a refurb 20 days in because my screen started to bubble, especially after standing in line on the release day... I don't feel like that's fair since I paid full price for a brand new phone and since I have a faulty screen, I get a refurb... a little venting.....
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyg417 View Post
    I don't currently have it but I do plan to add it since I am on my third week. Does anyone have an opinion about getting Sprint TEP vs. Best Buys (higher priced) extended protection?
    Run with the sprint one. it only like $7 and best buy tries to make it sound like theres is better but sprint does all the same at a lower price plus on top of that im on my fourth pre as of today and sprint swaped them all out no problem at all. (1) Power cycled ever chance it got (2) did the same thing (3)slider loose and phone would randomly go offline. Brought them to a sprint store and they swapped them out. i just went to see if there was something they could do to fix each of them. i just had to wait a half hour but to me it well worth it.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent146 View Post
    The pre is the first phone I've ever gotten insurance for.
    Same here for me.

All my previous phones were (non-smart) ruggeds. I dropped and banged them about without a care in the world and they all worked just fine.

I was worried about a drop killing the Pre and the $7 a month seemed like "reasonable" protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    the thing to note about adding it to your home owners policy is that if you use it too many times during a year (too many times could be 2), then at minimum your rider will be cancelled (if you're lucky) and if you're unlucky, your entire homeowners policy will be canceled.

basically, learned from my parents experience, you don't nickle and dime your homeowners policy because they will cancel you for too many claims where too many is a relatively small number. In their case, they had one big issue (flood in basement, issue #1) and then a relatively small minor issue (forget what it was, but only a few hundred to very low thousand in damages), and while the insurance company reimbursed them for #2, the policy was then canceled and they went through a lot of pain to get another one.
    They didn't have USAA.
    I only use my Homeowners when I need it.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I know I've gotten my money's worth out of it. I'm awaiting my 5th pre today. Each of the previous ones had some issue go wrong. Each time I just walk in and they order a new one.

I was surprised when pre #3 arrived it turned out to be brand new one. Good build. Very sorry when the touchscreen stopped working. 4th pre was definitely a refurb. Bad oreo twist and big gaps between top and bottom halves. Had Sprint store order another one. I'm hoping it's a new one again or at least a better constructed refurb.

Have to think it wouldn't be this easy if I wasn't paying for Sprint's TEP plan.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast