Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    wow I LIKE IT ALOT !

Tweak Guide

The Tweaks panel is a new feature of WebOS Quick Install v2.0. It can be found via the program's menu at Tools->Tweaks. Each system mod is done in a very safe way and can be undone simply by unchecking the checkbox.

For most of the mods, on enabling/diabling, you'll notice you're Pre do something similar to a restart. Don't worry, it's actually just a GUI reload and should take a lot longer than a reboot.

I'll now go briefly through each mod:

----System Mods----

Add/delete launcher pages
    Essentially, it's this hack. When you bring up the application launcher and tap the menu in the upper left corner, you'll now see menu option to add or remove launcher pages. So instead of the default 3 pages, you can have as many or as few as you'd like.

4x4 icons on launcher page
    Essentially, it's this hack. By default, you only get 3x3.5 icons visible at any time on the launcher. This will scale down the icons and text so you get 4x4 apps on the launcher.

Downloading in web browser
    A very complex system patch based on this. It will add the option to download files, from file links you click, to /media/internal/downloads/. You will also see a download progress widget at the bottom of the browser page.

As an added bonus, you'll also have the following hotkeys in Web:

* Backspace=top of page
    * Enter=bottom of page
    * Shift = page up
    * Space = page down
    * Period = scroll down a line

Reduce minimum brightness
    Based off this simple hack, this lowers the existing lowest brightness setting. Handy if you're one of the many who find the default lowest still too bright for night time.

Silence phone dial pad, add vibrating feedback
    Based off this hack, this gets rid of all the annoying dial pad sounds (way too loud), and adds a kind of haptic feedback, so you know you've typed on the dialpad.

Roam Only option in prefs
    Based on this hack, it adds the option to use roaming network usage only, which in some cases can give you better battery life and a stronger signal.

Message forwarding
    Based on this hack. When you tap on a single message in a message thread, you'll be give the option to forward that message (along with any attached files).

Hide Nascar application
    Pretty self-explanatory; hides the Nascar application from the launcher.

Hide NFL application
    Pretty self-explanatory; hides the NFL application from the launcher.

PDF Viewer working in landscape
    Based off this system hack. It lets your PDF viewer support landscape orientation in addition to the default portrait.

Email working in landscape
    Based on the work in this thread, this hack let's you use the the Email application in landscape mode.

Messaging working in landscape
    Based on the work in this thread. Similar to the above 2 mods, this one lets the Messaging app work in landscape mode.

Call duration in call log
    Pretty self explanatory. It adds the call durations to the call log of the Phone application.

Battery % in top header
    Let's you put the battey % number in place of the battery icon, or next to the icon. The % value is colour-coded and when it's plugged in and charging, the text turns blue; a nice, easy way to confirm your device is charging.

----Sytyling Mods----

Change boot logo
    Based off this. Clicking this checkbox will bring up a window with 2 image options.

For "Boot Logo", that's a png file (200 pixels by 200 pixels preferred) and is a normal boot logo.

For "Boot Logo With Glow", that's also a PNG, same image size as the previous logo. Basically it's the first image, but with a glow or noticeable change of some sort.

For example images to use, see this thread.

Change dialer background
    Based off this. Clicking this checkbox will bring up a window with 3 image options (2 optional).

"Wallpaper" is a 320x480pixel PNG image. It can be anything you like and just goes in the background of your Phone app's dialer, like a wallpaper of a computer. This is the only required image for this mod. For an example, see this.

"Scroll Fade" is optional and simply goes to help make the theme look better. For an example, see this.

"List Selection Line" is also optional, and also only is used to give a more complete feel to the new look. An example can be seen here.

Change lock screen background
    This is essentially the same as the above mod, but applies to the Lock Screen of your device.

Add stylish analog clock
    Based off this hack. This enables a hidden theme in the Clock app. It's a stylish black analog clock that has the date on it. Personally, I love its look. Once this mod is enabled, go into the Clock app, tap the menu in the upper left corner, and tap themes. You'll see the option for "Stylish Analog Clock" there

Squarify the screen
    This is a system mod done myself. Essentially it gets rin of the curved black corner-covers that cover the screen in every app. I like this mod as it lets me see all the way to the corners in the web browser.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/29/2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Jason Robitaille is online now Report Post Reply With Quote
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    uhhh
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    My thoughts exactly... what the heck is this?
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    My question is that i had heard that if you do these" tweak " it would interfere with being able to update the OS i.e Webos 1.2... this true?
    WebOS Quick Install is NOT WebOS. Please change the thread title.
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    WebOS Quick Install is NOT WebOS. Please change the thread title.
    +1

I was totally misled by the title! Although a new Webos Intaller update is sweet especially with more rooting hacks built in.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sightz212 View Post
    My question is that i had heard that if you do these" tweak " it would interfere with being able to update the OS i.e Webos 1.2... this true?
    yes. it is advised to uncheck all tweaks before updating
  8.    #8  
    my bad ha ha quickinstaller was updated go figure you dont have to be a **** just because i made a mistake in the title if you dont like it go away lol anyways there are some new tweaks in this version of quickinstaller that r pretty nice , have a great day all!!!!!!!!
    Title corrected.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I cant get the tweaks to work
  11.    #11  
    thanks Admin.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I cant get the tweaks to work
    try uninstalling all the old tweaks if you have them first. then install the new ones each one at a time and let the phone do its reboot after every tweak you install with the new webos quickinstaller, thats what i had to do maybe it works for you too.
    can someone make this into an app and add it into app catalog when out of beta!? this stuff is way over my head but i would love to do all this stuff.
  14.    #15  
    its really not as hard as it sounds , you just need to read through the threads carefully and jot down what you learn . the guys behind the scenes and developers on these forums have made it as easy as they can. all you really need to do is put your phone in devmode and download webos quickinstaller then you can load the homebrew apps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    its really not as hard as it sounds , you just need to read through the threads carefully and jot down what you learn . the guys behind the scenes and developers on these forums have made it as easy as they can. all you really need to do is put your phone in devmode and download webos quickinstaller then you can load the homebrew apps

yeah i know im not taking anything away from the developers, im just making a sugestion not insulting any developers everyone is quick to say that for some reason. its just that im to lazy to go threw every thing, i did try to go threw some but its alot of reading im more visual. so if someone makes a youtube video i would be set but then it will still prob be hard. i rooted my g1 and i think i screwed something up, so i dont wanna do this to this phone. i have had wm phones were you can just download tweak programs right on to the phone thats what i would like to do for people maybe not on this forum just to be abel to do it all on the phone. plus im wiling to wait for the apps just to end up on the phone im not speaking of homebrew i would like the tweaks im all about tweaking my phone but im not the best when it comes to reading instruction.(i realize im in the minority).
    Last edited by stevo101; 08/30/2009 at 10:06 PM.
  16.    #17  
    im the last person in the world to know anything about this stuff i just started doing it and learned lol ,so where r u having a problem then??
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    im the last person in the world to know anything about this stuff i just started doing it and learned lol ,so where r u having a problem then??
    well what do you know i went back and tried it again i was missing the novacain part or whatever now i got it to work like a pro!! thanks for the pep talk!
    * Backspace=top of page
    * Enter=bottom of page
    * Shift = page up
    * Space = page down
    * Period = scroll down a line

Thanks...the backspace and enter reminder rocks and well worth the Browser Tweak install. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I'm new to the world of "WebOS quick install", but not to Palm phones. I downloaded the quick install program. All I did was check some much needed tweaks. When a new update comes out its recommended to remove tweaks. Is that as easy as unchecking my tweaks or do I need to do something else? I noticed that files where downloaded to the phone for the program to work. Will they affected my phones update? I don't want to brick my phone! Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast