1.    #1  
    Well, of all of the great capabilities of this new Palm Pre, the feature that I miss the most from my old Palm Treo 755p with the Palm OS, is the ability to mark individual contacts, memo's, task, and even calendar events as "Private". Once they were marked as Private, you could hide or mask them, requiring a password to be entered in order to even see the record. This came in very handy with private contacts, memo's and calendar events that I didn't want anyone else to see.

I use SplashID now, but it rather sucks having to open a different app just to see private information.

If someone could design this feature into the current contacts, memo's, task and calendar so it has the "Private" checkbox, and then the option to globally hide or mask private records, I'd be willing to pay for the app without hesitation, as I'm sure hundreds of thousands of other Pre owners would be willing to pay for it as well.

So, who's up for the challenge? Keep me on your contacts list if you come up with it.
    Last edited by thecraftsman; 08/27/2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: words and spelling errors
    I agree with the thecraftsman, it would be nice to password protect your contacts and even web access from prying eyes. I would'nt mind showing off my Pre to others if there was some way to protect personal data. Would be nice if there was a demo mode where you can use apps, games or even the Nav/Maps apps but not access private contacts web history etc. . .
    is there a possible way to do this?? to make there a password for pics, text and contacts?
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    private records provided no real security, it was just a single bit that marked the record private or not and was simply enforced by the app. i.e. any other app could just ignore it (and many did) and would display the record to you.
  5.    #5  
    I'm not sure what the big differences are, but the fact that I could mark specific contacts, memo's, tasks, and appoints as private with a checkbox, then close the phone and not have to worry about someone viewing those records by simply turning on the phone was a HUGE help for me.
    Any record that was tagged as private and then Hidden, would not be accessible by any other application, except in cases where the app has a history, such as the dialer call history.
  6.    #6  
    I just wanted to add that marking records as private and then hiding them was a feature included in the Palm OS, not a third party app.

I always kept records marked as private and I was very comfortable that if I handed my phone to someone to use, they were not able to view privates contacts, memo's, tasks or appt's without knowing my password and unhiding those private records.

Again, this should be a part of the WebOS so that it uses the root OS for data storage. This would prevent 3rd party apps from ignoring the "Private" indicator.
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    So, no help for this? I have some sensitive information that I would prefer wasn't immediately accessible.

What are people doing as an alternative?
    Nicky
    For notes and memo's i use "Cryptonotes" app
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Since I have already sync'd all of my memos via Echo (I have a lot), I have simply password protected my Pre (for now).

Please keep the ideas coming. If using a password becomes the headache that I think it will, I will need an alternative.
    Nicky
    Quote Originally Posted by thecraftsman View Post
    I just wanted to add that marking records as private and then hiding them was a feature included in the Palm OS, not a third party app.

I always kept records marked as private and I was very comfortable that if I handed my phone to someone to use, they were not able to view privates contacts, memo's, tasks or appt's without knowing my password and unhiding those private records.
    Agreed, this is one of the features I miss that some of my previous phones had (centro, blackberry). Maybe we could try to request a patch that could possible add that option?
    I have had plenty of users at work come to me requesting this feature after the wife finds out about the other woman. Good to see some of you being proactive.
    Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Agreed, this is one of the features I miss that some of my previous phones had (centro, blackberry). Maybe we could try to request a patch that could possible add that option?
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one who misses this.
    Nicky
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I have had plenty of users at work come to me requesting this feature after the wife finds out about the other woman. Good to see some of you being proactive.
    Thanks, it's better to be safe than sorry.
    I agree - this should be standard as it was on my Treo 650. I tried the phone password on the Pre and it's way too much trouble. With over 1100 contacts and massive amounts of personal info in contact notes such as acct #'s, passwords, etc., I found it helpful to just tag certain contacts private. I did it for security - who knows when you may lose your phone. When I did password protect my Treo the first thing you see when it is powered up is my name and an alternate phone number in case an honest person found it. Guess I have to get a paper sticker for my Pre. Still trying to get used to using my finger after using a stylus for years - miss the ability to be precise with detail. The Pre is a sweet phone though and very versatile.
    Last edited by iyamsteve; 07/19/2010 at 10:48 PM.