1.    #1  
    I dont know why its taken me so long to find and get THIS set up!

Ive been having way fun, changing images, and stuff, but it is rather a pain to have to keep copying files thru Putty, to /media/internal, then having to get to USB mode to GET the files, alter them, then save them back, THEN come OUT of USB, back to Charge Only, back to Putty to actually do the hard coded cp's of my files

With Installing SFTP service, and getting WinSCP , its JUST like being home, seeing local and remote, and being able to move stuff back and forth with ease, and eliminating that annoying middle USB step.

My only question/difference with this, from other FTP Clients I use every day, is there NO actual ARROW to copy stuff from local to remote, or visa versa? Im mean its easy enough to select file, then browse for destination, but, just askin.. yanno? Cuz Im lazy and any less keystrokes, are a good thing

Here is a cool screen shot, of my logged in session to do some direct file moving.. LOVE IT,.

This looks really cool, I'm going to give it a shot. I've been following directions when rooting my pre and am slowly but surely getting better at the commands and copying and moving files. Could you explain in a little more detail how to install the SFTP servicde and what exactly it is for us newbs? Thanks a ton!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsilva View Post
    This looks really cool, I'm going to give it a shot. I've been following directions when rooting my pre and am slowly but surely getting better at the commands and copying and moving files. Could you explain in a little more detail how to install the SFTP servicde and what exactly it is for us newbs? Thanks a ton!
    Setup SFTP

This explains how to get it set up.
  4.    #4  
    Yep, the above wiki is what I followed to install the service. Then you have to go download the (FREE) WinSCP here

WinSCP :: Download

I will say, a few of the steps from the wiki were not exactly right, but I was able to work around it. The biggest thing, that took me a few looks, they have you go do an edit on the sudo file, but when I looked at the file, the edit the wiki wanted me to do, was already in it correctly, so I just skipped it.

The other kinda work aroundy kinda thing was the fact that you cant mount the file system for rw from the graphical tool, but the wiki DOES kindly tell you can can enter a putty session while logged in, to do it manually. Easy, just a bit clunky.

One wierd thing, and I have to go back to my settings, I thought I had given my password in one of the configuration steps, but when I do start a session, it always prompts me for my password.

So, Gsliva, WHAT this is good for, its a graphical/hierarchical representation of both what is on your local system (your PC) and the entire file structure of what is on your PRE. The SFTP service you install from the wiki sets up your pre as an FTP server (FTP=File Transfer Protocal) and enables you to move files easily back and forth from your PC to PRE and PRE to PC. The WinSCP is the client application that you use ON your PC to log IN to the pre and have access to both file systems.

Hope that helps/explains it
    you guys are awesome, I'm at work now but gunna give it a go tonight. Thanks for your help!
    Here's what I do when creating my themes/changing images, etc...

On my computer, I make the directory structure -exactly- like it is on the Pre. So if for instance I want to change my boot logo, what I do on my actual computer is create a set of folders like this:

/usr/palm/sysmgr/images/

And then I put the load images in that folder. Then, while being in the very root of my phone in WinSCP and the root of that folder on my PC (where I can use the usr folder on both sides) all I do is drag the usr folder from the left to the right and it overwrites all of the files that I have on my Pre with the images that I have on my PC.

It's a little hard to explain, so if this post didn't help out any, I'll try some more detail on it... But, it definitely saves me a lot of time when uploading multiple graphics, because all I have to do is drag-n-drop that one 'usr' folder into the Pre's section of WinSCP and it replaces all of those graphics without me having to do each and every single one of them.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Technically any of the "graphical" FTP programs for Windows will work as long as they have "sftp" or SSH File Transport Protocol support.

I know that cuteftp, smartftp and filezilla all support sftp.

I've not used them myself, but as a career UNIX admin I know a bit about how this "stuff" works.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
    Technically any of the "graphical" FTP programs for Windows will work as long as they have "sftp" or SSH File Transport Protocol support.

I know that cuteftp, smartftp and filezilla all support sftp.

I've not used them myself, but as a career UNIX admin I know a bit about how this "stuff" works.

HUH! Who knew . I have been using WSFTP for YEARS and YEARS, and its probably the only one that does not support sftp (SSH) well at least the probably really old version I use. Guess I should look if there is a 20th century version? HEHE

But having WinSCP feels just LIKE all the FTP stuff I have been doing for years..

and oh btw, I figured out my drag n drop. It does do that, you just have to select/drag, no arrow, but works GREAT!