1.    #1  
    So i've followed all the steps of accessing linux, i've gained access, setup Optware and Quilt and created the username and password.

Now, when i open Putty, i type in my pre's ip address (over wifi) and enter
    Port 222

Sometimes i get errors like Network Error: Connection timed out and sometimes it will ask for my login.

I then enter my login and then it takes a while and then asks for password, i'll enter my password then wait about 2 minutes then it goes to the castle line and then i start typing sudo but it is EXTREMELY slow, like 1 letter every minute or something and eventually i'll just have to close it out or it times out itself.

I believe i have done everything correctly. I have tried re rooting it and also tried to do it over EVDO (even though i heard it will be extremely slow as well)

Anyone have any ideas? This is sooooo frustrating knowing that i am this close!!!
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ezmack View Post
    So i've followed all the steps of accessing linux, i've gained access, setup Optware and Quilt and created the username and password.

Now, when i open Putty, i type in my pre's ip address (over wifi) and enter
    Port 222

Sometimes i get errors like Network Error: Connection timed out and sometimes it will ask for my login.

I then enter my login and then it takes a while and then asks for password, i'll enter my password then wait about 2 minutes then it goes to the castle line and then i start typing sudo but it is EXTREMELY slow, like 1 letter every minute or something and eventually i'll just have to close it out or it times out itself.

I believe i have done everything correctly. I have tried re rooting it and also tried to do it over EVDO (even though i heard it will be extremely slow as well)

Anyone have any ideas? This is sooooo frustrating knowing that i am this close!!!
    You've gotten farther than me. I'm stuck at this step also, but I can't get to the point where it asks for login/password.

When you do this, is your Pre connected by USB, WiFi or EVDO?
    Is DevMode on?
    I think I got Optware setup, but I couldn't get QUILT done.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Oh crud... I think I got it! quilt is installing!
    And now I think I can get PuTTY to work. I re-did the optware setup with my device connected. This time it asked me to decide whether to connect via WiFi, EVDO or Both. Let's see how this goes now.

No joy. Still stuck there.
    Last edited by Trident; 08/24/2009 at 04:02 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Oh crud... I think I got it! quilt is installing!
    And now I think I can get PuTTY to work. I re-did the optware setup with my device connected. This time it asked me to decide whether to connect via WiFi, EVDO or Both. Let's see how this goes now.

No joy. Still stuck there.
    Putty still slow as all hell.....so.....i gave up.......

lol now i apply patches directly through command prompt itself

once you gain root access, just type: sudo su -

then you should get root@castle/var/home/root#

and thats it! but obviously make sure ur connected via USB because this isn't over wifi or evdo....
    Putty does not require Dev mode to be enabled. Once you set up the user name and password you don't have to enter dev mode. The login lets you access the root without entering Dev. mode.
    hey ezmack,
    have you been applying patches that way?i've used putty and quilt,but something i installed or patched to my phone,caused the same problem you are having.would time out and be really really slow typing into it.my last few i put on there were,browser downloads and the key board.plus file manager and externalz.i dont know if you have any of them,but thats when my trouble with lag and putty lag started.i just did a webos doctor and started freash again,havent put any of those on it.so far no problems,but i still would like to know which one caused the trouble.putty is fine now
    I'm not sure if this is your problem with it disconnecting but if you are accessing the PRE via WIFI and Putty you can have problems if the phone is not charging.

WIFI will turn off disconnecting you. Leave the phone plugged in or on a Touchstone. You can be right in the middle of something and it will shut down.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    hey ezmack,
    have you been applying patches that way?i've used putty and quilt,but something i installed or patched to my phone,caused the same problem you are having.would time out and be really really slow typing into it.my last few i put on there were,browser downloads and the key board.plus file manager and externalz.i dont know if you have any of them,but thats when my trouble with lag and putty lag started.i just did a webos doctor and started freash again,havent put any of those on it.so far no problems,but i still would like to know which one caused the trouble.putty is fine now
    yes, since i could not get putty to work (first time gaining access to linux) i decided to avoid putty all together and just apply patches via USB and Command Prompt itself. Seems to work perfectly fine just as it would via Putty. Only difference (i believe) is that Putty is SSH client which gives you wireless (wifi or evdo) access over USB physical connection (which i don't mind).

I couldn't tell u about the other patches that may have messed up your putty because i have only done minor patches so far such as Locked Icon Color Change, 4 icons in a row (adding/deleting launcher pages), Changed the color of my dialer and i think thats it for now. Everything seems normal.

My putty didnt work from the start so i'm still not sure why its so slow.
    I use pssh on Classic, and access the command line on my Pre using it.

For host, instead of your Pre's IP address, put in "localhost". It works every time for me.