Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since I first discovered the joys of WebOS Quick Update and all the homebrew goodness, I've just been leaving my phone in Dev Mode so that I can install new apps as they come out without suffering through the many minutes it takes to reboot my phone.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Am I exposing my phone to some horrible thing? Or can I safely tool along in Dev Mode full time?

Jason
    download file coaster and then you won't have to be in developer mode....
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bkusna View Post
    download file coaster and then you won't have to be in developer mode....
    I thought that file coaster needed the phone to be in dev mode to install new homebrew apps. Is that not the case?
    right now? Probably nothing...but once you get 5 million or more pres out there, your gonna start seeing some bad stuff bad people can do with an exposed Pre...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I just leave my Pre in dev mode... I hate restarting it because it takes way too long. I am impatient sometimes...
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    right now? Probably nothing...but once you get 5 million or more pres out there, your gonna start seeing some bad stuff bad people can do with an exposed Pre...
    Gotcha. Hopefully we get to 5 million--would love to see what the platform looks like with the kind of developer base that would grow to meet the demand.

I just leave my Pre in dev mode... I hate restarting it because it takes way too long. I am impatient sometimes...
    Me too--it takes way too long to reboot this thing. When we come out of the movie theater and turn our phones on, my girlfriend is checking email on her old LG Chocolate 2 about 3 minutes before I am on my pre.

So what's the answer to question 2? Does File Coaster need to be in dev mode to install new homebrew apps?
    Last edited by yacht_boy; 08/24/2009 at 07:09 AM. Reason: fix quotes
    just go into airplane mode when watching the movie or needing to be quite...a way shorter time to get back. Also when modding or putting a theme on your pre use the luna restart command instead of an actual reboot. You don't lose you connection and its quicker!!!

[QUOTE=yacht_boy;1842490]Gotcha. Hopefully we get to 5 million--would love to see what the platform looks like with the kind of developer base that would grow to meet the demand.

I just leave my Pre in dev mode... I hate restarting it because it takes way too long. I am impatient sometimes...[/QUOTE[

Me too--it takes way too long to reboot this thing. When we come out of the movie theater and turn our phones on, my girlfriend is checking email on her old LG Chocolate 2 about 3 minutes before I am on my pre.

So what's the answer to question 2? Does File Coaster need to be in dev mode to install new homebrew apps?
    When you go to the movies just put the Pre in Airplane Mode. Then turn off Airplane Mode after the movie. Fast, and no re-boot time.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreDave View Post

When you go to the movies just put the Pre in Airplane Mode. Then turn off Airplane Mode after the movie. Fast, and no re-boot time.

hehehe me first move outta the way!!!!

Um why not just flip the little switch to "silent" and leave the phone on when you are in a movie?? Then as soon as you come out and look at it you see any missed calls or messages.
    alarms still go off with it switched to silent...

filecoaster does not need the Pre to be in dev mode except to install filecoaster itself. the newest version of file coaster is just like an app catalog will let u download anything from the precentral homebrew app store directly onto your pre without plugging it into your computer or putting it into dev mode
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by acidbeaver View Post
    filecoaster does not need the Pre to be in dev mode except to install filecoaster itself. the newest version of file coaster is just like an app catalog will let u download anything from the precentral homebrew app store directly onto your pre without plugging it into your computer or putting it into dev mode
    Excellent, that's what I wanted to hear.

That's exactly why I just turn the phone off--the Pre doesn't actually go silent when you put it on silent mode. Incredibly frustrating, and another one of those many basic features that Palm overlooked that I can't believe they haven't fixed yet. The advanced features are great, but for actual phone/alarm clock/text messaging functionality (the stuff I use most) I often find myself missing my older phones.

Anyway, thanks for the help--my phone is rebooting into standard mode now.
    As in calender alarms? Clock alarms?

Why are you going to the movies if you have something coming up in your calendar? Get to work!
  15.    #15  
    Clock alarms. I haven't been able to get calendar alarms working properly in the Pre (another frustration--no excuse for messing up so many of the basics)

I often set myself clock alarm reminders to do non-work things. I can't use the pre for a work phone because we're on Lotus Notes. So much for synergy!
    when i leave my developer mode on, my battery seems to drain at 2x the speed. So naturally, i turn dev mode off.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zerty55 View Post
    when i leave my developer mode on, my battery seems to drain at 2x the speed. So naturally, i turn dev mode off.
    That's exactly the question I had. My battery died yesterday after being fully charged in about an hour and a half - used it a bit to do some Geocaching (using GoTo - about 15 minutes) and the web to research some other caches (15 minutes) Other than that, the phone was off and in my pocket, and by the time I got to the store, I was already in the yellow. ???
    how do i know if my phone is in developer mode?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    How do I take the phone off of developer mode?
    just go into airplane mode when watching the movie or needing to be quite...a way shorter time to get back. Also when modding or putting a theme on your pre use the luna restart command instead of an actual reboot. You don't lose you connection and its quicker!!!
    What is this "luna restart" command you speak of?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it!

Code:
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    Last edited by UndeadCircus; 08/27/2009 at 10:02 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast