1.    #1  
    I want to mod my pre but i can not find the softwear. all of the links i click on take me somewhere i dont want to go. so if anybody has the time and want to help send me a PM so we can hook up on yahoo IM so we can do it step by step or till i fig out what im doing thanks
    What have you done so far and what or where are you stuck?

Here is a little checklist of things and software you need to do, ON YOUR COMPUTER in the correct order to get to a point of being at the root of the phones linux OS

Check list for order of things that need done:

1. make sure java up to date
    java.com: Java + You

2. Install Virtual Box
    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...-47978-Win.exe

3. Download and Install mojo sdk

Registration

4. Enable dev mode on your Pre

In Card view or in the Launcher application, type the following:

upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

Tap the resulting Developer Mode Enabler icon.
    In the application, move the Developer Mode slider to the On position.
    Tap Reset the Device.
    When reset is complete, Developer mode is enabled.

5. Have PRE connected to computer as JUST CHARGE

After you download and install the Palm SDK program, you should have just installed it to whereever its defaults wanted it to go, you should have a directory path ON your computer:

c:/program files/palm/sdk/bin

6. Open up a CMD prompt (START>RUN cmd)

type:
    cd /program files/palm/sdk/bin (press enter)\

If that went as expected, you should be ready to enter at that point:

novacom -t open tty://

This will communicate with your PRE to get you to:

root@castle#

At THAT point you are IN the Linux OS of the palm

Let me know if that helps, you can PM me, Im around for a bit today..

Good Luck!

Diane
    I was wondering if I need to install the palm-install packages. (says this on the instructions from Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals) I don't know what those are for. I just wanted to add text forwarding to my pre, with the least steps as possible. :-) When an update comes out will the text forwarding root affect the update?
    Quote Originally Posted by rockness77 View Post
    I was wondering if I need to install the palm-install packages. (says this on the instructions from Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals) I don't know what those are for. I just wanted to add text forwarding to my pre, with the least steps as possible. :-) When an update comes out will the text forwarding root affect the update?
    I have the same question. The directions are not clear. Or...it's just way over my head!
    My stumbling block was after installing the SDK on my pc and playing with it, I wondered how to get it onto my pre. Finally I realized I would be running the SDK files from my pc and not my pre.
    So glad to find your step-by-step instructions! I've been successful with everything up to installing SDK. I successfully (I think) installed Virtual Box. Icon shows up on my desktop and I can open it. From everything I've read, I think I should be seeing the SDK file when I open Virtual Box, no? This is where I am stuck. Would appreciate any hints on what to do next!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockness77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ablazes View Post
    I have the same question. The directions are not clear. Or...it's just way over my head!
    That step is only if you have a package file to install. For example developed your own app or downloaded a package file or otherwise obtained one. Extremely likely that this does not apply to anything you will do since there is no need to use that unless you developed your own app and are testing it out. I have modified the procedure so hopefully it makes more sense. Please do let me know if you still have trouble understanding the procedure so I can further improve the info.
    Some where between the cmd and the putty.exe i think I am doing something wrong. When i get the black screen it is just a green cursor, it never asks me to login!!! HELP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by onepureplayr View Post
    Some where between the cmd and the putty.exe i think I am doing something wrong. When i get the black screen it is just a green cursor, it never asks me to login!!! HELP!!!
    I need to verify what steps you have taken. Did you complete the process of setting up optware, users and access? If not there are steps in the script that asks to setup a user account and choose how you want to connect by wifi, evdo, or both. If you have already done that did you choose wifi, evdo, or both and which are you using to connect? Or are you trying to connect over USB with putty? I used to connect over USB using the obsolete novaproxy method but since they added the newer method using wifi I used it instead.
    hey when try to root it i cnt get past the part, where it says (:/program files/palm/sdk/bin) it says cnt register this request and i seen when they changed it to x86 but it doesnt work on my computer can u help me?
    Quote Originally Posted by freshboy825 View Post
    hey when try to root it i cnt get past the part, where it says (:/program files/palm/sdk/bin) it says cnt register this request and i seen when they changed it to x86 but it doesnt work on my computer can u help me?
    I'm not sure what source you are using to get instructions from but this link perhaps will help you. It is a part of the guide for accessing linux on the pre from webos-internals. Let me know if you need me to go back farther in the steps. I'm assuming based on your description that you are trying to use windows command prompt part of the steps.

Novcom on Windows - WebOS Internals