1.    #1  
    Been lurking all day, Googling and searching the forums. I have several questions that I just can't seem to find the answer to. (Either because I'm too lazy or just suck a using Google.)

1. What exactly does "rooting" a Palm Pre do? Grant me access to the entire filesystem? Run applications as superuser? People throw this term around and none of it makes sense to me. Is "rooting" the same as putting it into dev mode with the Konami code or webos20090606?

2. Do applications that require "root" run as root? Or does this "root" mean something completely different?

3. After reading some stuff on webos-internals.net, I am more confused. It says that I may need to "access the linux" ... these are words that mean nothing to me. As I understand it, the only thing that could mean is "gain read/write access to the Linux kernel upon which WebOS runs." Is this true?

4. If I get a Palm Pre and it has 1.1.0 on it, can I still "root" this device? All tutorials I can find are a month old and use files from 1.0.

I don't want to be "that guy" that can't figure this stuff out on his own. I've been into the iPhone hacking scene since the iPhone first came out. I can jailbreak any iPhone with one hand tied behind my back. I'm not incapable of figuring this stuff out, it just seems like some of these sites are more confusing than they need to be.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Here's the deal as I understand it:

Rooting = accessing the linux code. It does allow you to access the entire file system. Very few apps need to be installed by rooting. Most of the patches found at webos-internals.org do require rooting. But, any app installed that way run as normal apps.
    You do need to be in Dev Mode to root. A phone in Dev Mode acts normal, but it allows you to access the linux and install patches when you are connected to a computer
    Yes, you can root a 1.1 OS phone. As the updates are forced on us, almost every Pre should have 1.1.

Basically, when you root, you are typing commands in linux at a command prompt. It looks intimidating if you haven't used a command line interface in a long time (like me), but it's not that scary. By following the instructions at webos-internals, you can install any number of patches without much trouble.

But, as you are accessing the entire file system, there is the potential for trouble if you aren't careful
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    Here's the deal as I understand it:

Rooting = accessing the linux code.
    By "the linux code" do you mean the linux source code? What would that be doing on the phone?

Just get it at kernel.org

Right?

It does allow you to access the entire file system. Very few apps need to be installed by rooting. Most of the patches found at webos-internals.org do require rooting. But, any app installed that way run as normal apps.
    You do need to be in Dev Mode to root. A phone in Dev Mode acts normal, but it allows you to access the linux and install patches when you are connected to a computer
    What do you mean "access the linux"?

Yes, you can root a 1.1 OS phone. As the updates are forced on us, almost every Pre should have 1.1.

Basically, when you root, you are typing commands in linux at a command prompt. It looks intimidating if you haven't used a command line interface in a long time (like me), but it's not that scary. By following the instructions at webos-internals, you can install any number of patches without much trouble.
    I use a terminal emulator every day, yet this is still intimidating because of this confusing terminology.

But, as you are accessing the entire file system, there is the potential for trouble if you aren't careful
    I can understand that. I'm going from the iPhone hacking camp. Been doing this type of stuff to my iPhone for two years now.
    By rooting your phone, you're enabling access to the root/superuser account, which grants you permissions access to previously inaccessible parts of the phone. You can then access the file system and other associated areas of the phone through SSH and FTP. That's pretty much what people mean.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    You're not accessing the linux kernel. The Pre is basically a computer running linux. You are able to run some linux programs (optware and quilt) that allow you to manage patches. Basically, you're editing javascript and css files mostly.
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
  6. R3Z
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paloooz View Post
    I can understand that. I'm going from the iPhone hacking camp. Been doing this type of stuff to my iPhone for two years now.
    I think we can hardly consider jailbreaking hacking anymore. A 1st grader can do that these days without any knowledge of a computer. Follow some directions, click a few buttons, and bam, you've got a custom iPhone.

Now back in the day when it first released, that was worth the bragging rights, but these days? Not worth a mention...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by djR3Z View Post
    I think we can hardly consider jailbreaking hacking anymore. A 1st grader can do that these days without any knowledge of a computer. Follow some directions, click a few buttons, and bam, you've got a custom iPhone.

Now back in the day when it first released, that was worth the bragging rights, but these days? Not worth a mention...
    I'm from the iphoneinterface generation of jailbreaking, back when it took skill.

Too bad I can't use any of that knowledge with the Pre.
    I know this is a older post with not much of replies but webos-internals page for accessing linux has the easy method to access linux on the pre. If you need to know more basic stuff before following the instructions there is a getting started page and some brief details for beginners. In brief accessing linux is simply how it sounds you are getting to the linux command promtp in order to do stuff within linux. If you want to learn about the many things people have already done and even learn how to do your own thing too webos-internals is the site to read up from. If you don't understand certain linux commands a google search will turn up many sites with learning resources to better understand how to use the linux stuff. A lot of the stuff on webos-internals is simple to do by running a script after a few copy and paste commands or following a set of instructions to copy and paste some stuff to the command prompt. Hopefully in the near future all of the patches and stuff will be part of the homebrew installers to simply add just like a homebrew app. Webos quick install and preware are working on this already.
    i guess its like os of the iphone and pre are like ying and yang similar but nothing alike ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->