Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    does the Pre have the hardware to do really good gaming? i would love to have a castle defense game. anyone know?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Depends on your expectations. Just don't imagine it has a PSP or other portable gaming devices, and you'd be surprised what the Pre can do. With a little tweaks, updates, and improvements here and there, the developments would probably surprise you.

It's just like any other phone that's meant for calls and texts, just don't expect it to be a Alienware PC.
    There is a game for the Iphone that is called Fieldrunners. It is an excellent defense game. I would love to see it on the Pre
    At the moment, the Pre team have not released an adequate programming API to allow access to hardware accelerated graphics in an industry standard way. This means that game programmers would have a hard time accessing the built in PowerVR SGX 530 graphics chip. They are used to a standard library of programming calls, which is quite often the Open GL standard. And Palm had not yet provided the library as a part of the toolkit, nor provided for method to call it from the current WebOS framework.

The chip is quite adequate to provide a decent gaming experience, on par with the iPhone. There was a rumor recently that Palm had posted a job description that sounded like a call for an OpenGL developer. And games have done wonders for the iPhone App Store. So I think its quite likely that Palm will get there.

I'm with you on Fieldrunners -- great game!
    Don't hold me to it, but I seem to remember Oil hinting at doing a castle defense type game in the blocks game thread a couple weeks ago. I don't have time to look right now though, you might want to do a search though.

Sorry if I was mistaken.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Fieldrunners is great, but my favorite is Creeps. i will just hope for the best and keep waiting. (my ipod touch can keep me busy until then i guess)
    Quote Originally Posted by reininop View Post
    Don't hold me to it, but I seem to remember Oil hinting at doing a castle defense type game in the blocks game thread a couple weeks ago.
    Yes. I am. See teaser screenshots here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/1799242-post148.html

The code for it is practically finished. I've just had a lot of trouble with balancing it so it is actually fun to play. Which has been a real pain in the ***, and is why I haven't released it yet.

That and spending my time getting dotgame and blocked into palms catalog and working on preware and other misc webos-internals projects.

Hopefully once things cool down I'll be able to balance it out enough so its at least somewhat fun and release it for testing.