Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    So the palm installer doesn't install if /var is more then 67% full. I wanted to see what was on my pre that's using up the disk space in /var

/var is sized as 250mb's. It disallows installing apps when it's down to ~100mb or so free.

root@castle:/var# du -sh *
    4.0k backups
    12.0k cache
    8.0k context
    4.0k corefiles
    0 cro
    4.0k downloads
    12.0k etc
    0 ****
    4.0k gadget
    804.0k home
    0 javadumps
    0 javaoom
    0 kernelpanics
    7.5M lib
    4.0k local
    16.0k lock
    4.0M log
    16.0k lost+found
    79.2M luna
    0 minicores
    0 misc
    4.0k opt
    4.2M palm
    140.0k preferences
    8.0k pubsub
    88.0k run
    4.0k spool
    52.0k ssl
    8.0k state
    960.0k telenav
    0 tmp
    0 touchpaneldump
    40.5M usr

/usr is where the apps are living. As you can see this is only 40mb's.. Most of the space is used up by the luna subdir.

root@castle:/var/luna# du -sh *
    67.8M data
    11.3M files
    20.0k launchpoints
    16.0k preferences
    root@castle:/var/luna#

'files' is taken up by contact pictures (downloaded from facebook or outlook in my case)

Digging down into data, most of the space is actually taken by emails. 51.2M in my case. (I have 3 accounts. with the biggest, gmail, set to only show 1 day's worth.. I think there's a bug though in that it still shows emails as old as a week)

So in /var and in my case, ~80mb's is taken up just for contact pics and emails. That and the other bits and pieces leaves only about 60mb's for applications before hitting the cann't install error (even though there's actually 100mb's left..)

Couple of workarounds I've thought about -

1) I've already got a different partition setup (1gb) as /opt for my hacks/etc. Wonder if it's safe to symlink luna to /opt/luna?

2) is there a way to hack the installer code so that it disallows installing at 50mb's free (instead of 100mb's?)

-mark
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I ended up moving and symlinking the emails directory - so far, so good.. (it freed up 50mb's of the valuable /var space for me)
    -mark
    This sounds legit and worth looking into...can you post some instructuons how you did the symlink to move your mail?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    This sounds legit and worth looking into...can you post some instructuons how you did the symlink to move your mail?
    First, I created /opt by shrinking the media space using this method - (warning - this deletes your media partition and recreates it, so take care to back it up first)
    Alt optmedia - WebOS Internals
    (I stole 1gb from the media space and made /opt from it..)

Then I moved the emails and sym-linked it by issuing these commands - (note - prior to doing this, put your phone in airplane mode and turn off wifi so that emails don't try to come in while you're moving them)

mv /var/luna/data/emails /opt/emails
    ln -s /opt/emails /var/luna/data/emails

-mark
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Investigating further..

The hack above takes care of the programs that install into /var/usr/palm, but not the ones that install into /usr/palm/applications.

Looking at the /usr/palm/applicaitons directory, there is one file that can be deleted that'll save 6.4mb's..

root@castle:/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.firstuse/videos# ls -l
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6417725 Jul 17 22:24 HaveFun.mp4

(that's the video that displays upon firstuse..)

I'm also symlinking some of the larger programs from here to a location on /opt

-mark
    Ahh yes...much better...I followed your instructions, fixed a few typos I made causing errors, but in the end was able to /opt my emails and clean off the 50 or so MB of storage originally using in the primary luna subdirectory.

I also deleted the HaveFun.mp4 referenced above simply because 6.4mb of more space is good for running apps or otherwise.

Any idea what the attachments folder is doing...looks like a duplicate folder structure wise of the emails folder and probably contains all the attachments, but I'm not sure if it would be good to also move it and Sym-link it to the /opt folder like I did the email.

you also mention symlinking some of the larger programs in the /usr/palm/applications directory, which ones did you move without problems and how will future updates from Palm effect these symlinks changes?

Thanks again for the help...it is appreciated! Sorli...
    Spoke too quickly and unhappy to report that my changes to mail and symlinking to our new media storage failed and broke my email configuration. It was working last night, but then it just fell off the face of the earth and I no longer had email configurations or mail.

Thankfully all of my email is IMAP and I had no direct storage on my Pre besides email header files and possibly attachments that could be re-downloaded again later.

Basically I had to reverse engineer your instructions and switch things back to the way they were prior to my initial changes. Amazing part was when I switched things back...my configurations in Mail (all of them) came back as if nothing ever happened.

Next time I'll look to symlinking some unnecessarily large apps using your instructions and these that are less important then email and leave it alone for now.

I also wish Palm would fix this storage issue and make it easier to integrate homebrew and app catalog files in the same or on the media folder for storage.
    Thanks for looking into this. It seems to get very little attention, yet I for one find it incredibly annoying.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Oh that is really weird...I thought I switched it back after making the changes referenced above and rebooting. Now when I pull up shell access I get this in opt emails:

root@castle:/opt/emails# ls -r
    emails bucket6 bucket14 bucket-19 bucket-17 bucket-10
    bucket8 bucket2 bucket0 bucket-18 bucket-12
    root@castle:/opt/emails# ls -s
    4 bucket-10 4 bucket-18 4 bucket14 4 bucket8
    4 bucket-12 4 bucket-19 4 bucket2 0 emails
    4 bucket-17 4 bucket0 4 bucket6

and this in /var/luna/data:

root@castle:/var/luna/data# du -sh *
    64.0k Apps
    220.0k CarrierNetworkSettings.db3
    5.6M attachments
    956.0k browser
    3.1M dbdata
    40.0k downloadhistory.db
    0 emails
    4.0k extractfs
    8.0k im-avatars
    196.0k mediadb.db3
    4.0k palm-carriernetworksettings-info
    80.0k perfdata.txt
    4.0k slidercount
    1.0M stackdump.txt
    4.0k temp_html_email

So my mail still seems to be symlinked to the /opt/emails folder and now it is working?? Weird and I'll leave it for now since it is working, but plan to keep an eye on things and fix later if problems come back.

BTW, what exactly did we we do when we use Alt optmedia - WebOS Internals
    instructions to snag 1gb of storage from the media space and made /opt from it? Just curious how useful this will be for apps or otherwise?

Thanks, Sorli...
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    So the palm installer doesn't install if /var is more then 67% full. I wanted to see what was on my pre that's using up the disk space in /var

/var is sized as 250mb's. It disallows installing apps when it's down to ~100mb or so free.

root@castle:/var# du -sh *
    4.0k backups
    12.0k cache
    8.0k context
    4.0k corefiles
    0 cro
    4.0k downloads
    12.0k etc
    0 ****
    4.0k gadget
    804.0k home
    0 javadumps
    0 javaoom
    0 kernelpanics
    7.5M lib
    4.0k local
    16.0k lock
    4.0M log
    16.0k lost+found
    79.2M luna
    0 minicores
    0 misc
    4.0k opt
    4.2M palm
    140.0k preferences
    8.0k pubsub
    88.0k run
    4.0k spool
    52.0k ssl
    8.0k state
    960.0k telenav
    0 tmp
    0 touchpaneldump
    40.5M usr

/usr is where the apps are living. As you can see this is only 40mb's.. Most of the space is used up by the luna subdir.

root@castle:/var/luna# du -sh *
    67.8M data
    11.3M files
    20.0k launchpoints
    16.0k preferences
    root@castle:/var/luna#

'files' is taken up by contact pictures (downloaded from facebook or outlook in my case)

Digging down into data, most of the space is actually taken by emails. 51.2M in my case. (I have 3 accounts. with the biggest, gmail, set to only show 1 day's worth.. I think there's a bug though in that it still shows emails as old as a week)

So in /var and in my case, ~80mb's is taken up just for contact pics and emails. That and the other bits and pieces leaves only about 60mb's for applications before hitting the cann't install error (even though there's actually 100mb's left..)

Couple of workarounds I've thought about -

1) I've already got a different partition setup (1gb) as /opt for my hacks/etc. Wonder if it's safe to symlink luna to /opt/luna?

2) is there a way to hack the installer code so that it disallows installing at 50mb's free (instead of 100mb's?)

-mark

Mark -

I'm currently having trouble with full /opt (and therefore /var) partitions, and one of the things I've noticed is that I also have emails older than they should be. I have my accounts set to store only back a few days, but I have emails a month old (probably older - I stopped scrolling at that point.) I get a lot of email, so I'm sure this is killing me.

Did you ever find a resolution to the problem of emails not getting removed? I suppose I could remove my accounts and readd them, but that seems like it shouldn't be necessary... (And like it will cause other issues along the way.)

-Tim
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    Mark -

I'm currently having trouble with full /opt (and therefore /var) partitions, and one of the things I've noticed is that I also have emails older than they should be. I have my accounts set to store only back a few days, but I have emails a month old (probably older - I stopped scrolling at that point.) I get a lot of email, so I'm sure this is killing me.

Did you ever find a resolution to the problem of emails not getting removed? I suppose I could remove my accounts and readd them, but that seems like it shouldn't be necessary... (And like it will cause other issues along the way.)

-Tim
    Hmm. Ok, so for whatever this is worth, suddenly the "switch to a new Show Email setting" thing to purge older emails. I'm not sure what was different about this time trying it other than that my /var directory had been full previously. (Followed the tip here http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2540039 to remove one of the larger files and give me room to move while I cleared stuff out.) Maybe that was it? Can't say for sure. However, I *can* say that I dropped about 20M in usage in /var, almost all of it in the /var/luna/data/emails directory. (!)
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Its crazy, but this is still happening to me - my /opt and /var hit 100% last night and my phone is losing its mind. So, I telnetted in via Novaproxy and looked around.

I have emails months old, despite storage settings of between 1 and 7 days per account. (And I have files in the attachments directory that are over a year old!)

I was able to get rid of a larger attachment to get below 100%, at which point I could finally open the email app again. I went to each of the large email accounts and changed the storage settings to their next lower option, and the phone is now doing its thing - its a slow process apparently, but its down to 97% full now.

Anyone have any ideas how to make this stop happening?

Anyone know beyond a doubt that its safe to delete attachments? (I could delete that one directory along and save myself a huge chunk of storage, but I'm afraid to remove files that are pointed at by the database...)

This isn't a problem a whole lot of folks seem to know about, but I'm really hoping its fixed in webos 2+...