1.    #1  
    I'm having problems silencing my ringtones. Say i get a text, i have to let the whole thing play even after i have checked it. Whats even worse yet, when i'm talking on the phone, and i get a text, it plays the entire song in my ear, and makes it extremely hard to hear my conversation. Anyone else have this problem?
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Everyone has that problem. It's a known bug which will hopefully be fixed in the next update.
    How did you change your text notification? I can't change mine and from what I was told you can't change your text or e-mail notification to a ring tone or song. If you found a way to do it please pass it on.
  4.    #4  
    You have to download the "MyNotification" App from the homebrew apps on Precentral.......it works great!
  5.    #5  
    Btw I was kinda lookin' to see if anyone had a way to solve that via accessing linux.
    why not just make a new file that is a short segment of the one that is so long and choose the new file for the notification? Seems to me the obvious solution. A 15 second clip shoukd be long enough or make it even shorter. Though I see no reason to have more than a chirp or beep type alret for message notifications. For ringers 30 to 45 seconds is all you need.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    why not just make a new file that is a short segment of the one that is so long and choose the new file for the notification? Seems to me the obvious solution. A 15 second clip shoukd be long enough or make it even shorter. Though I see no reason to have more than a chirp or beep type alret for message notifications. For ringers 30 to 45 seconds is all you need.
    It worked for me I'm using the Metal Gear Solid sound when one of the bad guys sees you. It's only a second and it works like a charm.
  8.    #8  
    thats what i ended up doing....i use The Roadrunner's "meep meep!"

although its still a little loud in my ear, better than hearing that whole guitar song that was preassigned.

The MyNotifications app has a pretty nice simple one that comes as its default too.
    I wouldn't really call this a "bug". Most smartphones do this. Both of my WinMo phones would play the entire tone no matter what. I also read on here that using a wav file makes a difference? Also, the rumor is that the new version of PimpMySounds will allow the tone to be stopped.
    I wouldn't really call this a "bug". Most smartphones do this.

I consider this a very basic bug, and related to a externally visible notification indicator. The Palm Treo 755p I've been using for the last 3+ years had an external light that would flash if I had failed to 'acknowledge' or silence a notification. The external 'nub' light at the bottom of the screen should do something similar, and also serve as the button to silence, or acknowledge the receipt of a notification. This is very basic and to me - critical. I need a long and persistent sms notification in order to wake me while on call, and I need to be able to silence it when I'm on a voice call. I had to drop a voice call today because the outside mute toggle failed to silence my notification tone.

The other very basic feature that I'm frustrated with is a lack of any kind of cursor control. Again, on my Treo 755p, there was an ability to navigate a text field with the 4 directional 'acknowledge' button surround. It's particularly frustrating to try to edit the end of a text field (e.g. the url bar) because indicating the end of that field typically signals a 'carriage return' or 'enter'.

But the notification acknowledgement bug, is definitely something that needs addressing.
  11.    #11  
    You do know you can hold the orange button and swipe left-right, right-left on the screen and it moves the cursor, right?
    <i>You do know you can hold the orange button and swipe left-right, right-left on the screen and it moves the cursor, right?</i>

eureka! I do now. Thanks much. So, is there some secret sauce I've overlooked for silencing notifications? I've only had my Sprint Pre for about 8 days now. I've gotten reasonably deep into the webos stuff and about a dozen homebrew apps installed, but there's a number of things that leave me perplexed, and I don't really see anybody talking about them.

For instance, why I can't I put a streaming audio URL into the Music player? I can't even seem to do this with the shoutcast apps, or drpodder.

Why is putting a call on hold or swapping active voice calls such a mystery?
  13.    #13  
    There a bunch of things "missing" from the stuff that came with the phone. For streaming via URL I use the homebrew app "Net2Streams" you can add it though there. I think if you actually click on the link of a URL it automatically starts the music player.

I think there is some issue about using 3way calling and hanging up on one person.....not sure its not a feature I use often.
    I installed net2streams, but can't find a place to enter a stream URL (as opposed to searching through shoutcast radio stations). When I click on the link to these custom streams (it's a squeezecenter stream.mp3), the Music player app loads, buffers and plays about 4 seconds of the stream before shutting itself.

And I bet the 3 way calling process is just something I'll have to use to become familiar with. I can see that it's possible but I've flubbed it on every occasion I've needed to use it. Really appreciate the cursor navigation tip. That's a revelation I really needed. Restores my faith a little.
  15.    #15  
    I might have given you some bad info, I think I used The Homebrew app Shoutcast(Krische) in that one you can add a favorite which asks you for a URL. Try that one.....
  16.    #16  
    Oh yah....one more thing.....you can highlight text the same way using the shift key instead of the orange key.
    Quote Originally Posted by sensai28 View Post
    It worked for me I'm using the Metal Gear Solid sound when one of the bad guys sees you. It's only a second and it works like a charm.
    Brilliant! I loved Metal Gear, and that "exclamation" sound is perfect as a short & sweet notification. Do you have a copy you can upload here, or do I need to hunt one down online (my PS2 is long gone)?

I agree that when the screen is off or the Pre is on the touchstone the center button light should go to a slow on/off, and that hitting that should cut any alert sound short the same way volume rockers do on flip phones.
    Last edited by jaguar717; 09/16/2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: (dupe post)