Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Ok so I have seen all the cool stuff you can do as a result of rooting your palm. So I figured, what the hell I might as well give it a try. So I was doing some research on it and found out the easiest way to do it, so I go to open my command prompt and this is what it looked like (View first attachment below) after that I typed what I found on Novcom on Windows - WebOS Internals. After I typed the first line in this is what happened (View Second attachment below) So I dont know if I have gotten into it or not because of what it said so I just typed the third line from the website into the command prompt and this is what came up (View third attachment below) I dont know if that means that I have accessed my pre to mess with the stuff I wanna change. Is there anyway someone can help me and let me know what else I need to do/and or change.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Not sure if this is the only issue, but try putting the path as:

cd "Program Files"/Palm/SDK/bin
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Not sure if this is the only issue, but try putting the path as:

cd "Program Files"/Palm/SDK/bin
    Sorry im new to this, could you maybe explain it a little bit thoroughly.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I believe you're in.

If you get "root@castle", you've accessed the linux.

You must have the novacom file in another folder thaen palm/sdk.bin, but it worked.

Try the next few pages of things to do at Webos-Internals:
    Next steps - WebOS Internals
    Applying Patches - WebOS Internals

I just rooted mine this week for the first time. Just follow their commands step by step (type type commands exactly) and it'll work.

Just make sure you've downloaded WebOS doctor......
    After applying patches, I got cocky and tried to edit the javascript files and erased the status bar at the top of the screen. WebOS doctor restored everything
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    I believe you're in.

If you get "root@castle", you've accessed the linux.

You must have the novacom file in another folder thaen palm/sdk.bin, but it worked.

Try the next few pages of things to do at Webos-Internals:
    Next steps - WebOS Internals
    Applying Patches - WebOS Internals

I just rooted mine this week for the first time. Just follow their commands step by step (type type commands exactly) and it'll work.

Just make sure you've downloaded WebOS doctor......
    After applying patches, I got cocky and tried to edit the javascript files and erased the status bar at the top of the screen. WebOS doctor restored everything

Hmm weird. Well hopefully I am in. Ill def give it a try now then. Thanks guys!! if theres anymore input or anything else anyone can let me know if this is the right way, this would good greatly appreciated!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Ohh and after I get into the root castle, what do I do after?? Im clueless. Do I just put in the code for the themes I want.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Follow the steps at the links I gave you.

They recommend doing the first link first. (You can do less damage that way).

If you follow their instructions, you'll be applying patches in about 15 minutes.

Just read carefully

They made a standard set of patches which can be VERY easily installed (and removed). Some of the others are easy (editing javascript), some look more complicated.

Just go to the Next Steps link and do what they say
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    This is going to kill me......ahhh. I read through what I had to do and it is wayyyyy confusing to me. Does anyone have any links to any videos of someone doing this. Or can someone explain what I need to do. I just wanna root my damn phone so I can change some stuff like the dialing screen, and add more pages, and change some colors and stuff. Please help me so I can do this!!!
    me an u are stuck in the same sittuation AJDOOM ive been tryin all day they should make a tutorial for us i open the virtual box and i press start and its says kernnel is like an error so it wont open
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yasha804 View Post
    me an u are stuck in the same sittuation AJDOOM ive been tryin all day they should make a tutorial for us i open the virtual box and i press start and its says kernnel is like an error so it wont open

Ya I got that too. But I went to the cmd prompt and typed in the code that was provided on Next steps - WebOS Internals that psm9 gave me, and its asking for my user name??? What is my user name. There has got to be an easier way to do all of this.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Here's my understanding:

Logging in as root can leave your phone vulnerable to anyone who can access it via the web. So, they recommend you create a non-administrator user name and password.
    Just type one in and they will ask for a password. This allows you to access the phone via PuTTY (a whole other discussion) and via the new username. Apparently, it's safer that way.

But.... you don't need to. Install the software they say, create the username and password and finish that the instructions on that page.

Them go to the 2nd link I gave you. You can do most of this from the command line as root and , as long as you reboot the Pre after, you'll be safe.

So, finish up the instructions on page 1, then go to page 2. (APplying Patches)

Glory awaits....
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    So basically just make a fake name and password?
    after i copy and paste it says root@castle what do i from there man i goin nuts on this
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJD00M View Post
    So basically just make a fake name and password?
    Not fake, but yes. This allows you to use PuTTy later on.

Just go through with it. Realistically, it seems you can apply most patches from root

Yasha804, after you copy and paste what?
    on the command prompt i copy and paste what ajdoom shows on the picture and than after that it says rootcastle than i dont know what to do psm9? iv been workin on this for the past 8 hours
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    on the command prompt i copy and paste what ajdoom shows on the picture and than after that it says rootcastle than i dont know what to do psm9? iv been workin on this for the past 8 hours
    You're getting close. If you got root@castle, you're in.

Next , on your computer, open: Next steps - WebOS Internals

For now, if you want, skip optware setup (Although it only takes 2 minutes)
    At the root@castle prompt, type exactly what they say:
    cd /tmp (then hit enter)
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...e-bootstrap.sh (then hit enter)
    (Now, your phone is accessing the internet to download the file)
    sh optware-bootstrap.sh (then hit enter)

That last command runs the program on you just downloaded to the Pre. It will ask you to create a user/password, Just do it and go along with it.

When it's done and you get a prompt again, do the same for the next section (Installing Quilt)

Optware basically sets up a username so you can access the Pre via Putty. Supposedly, it's safer, but I didn't use it at first and could apply patches fine.

Quilt is the patch manager. Several (but not all) of the commonyl available patches are there. After you install Quilt, reboot the phone (type reboot at the command line.
    Then, go here: Applying Patches - WebOS Internals
    and scroll down to Importing and Applying patches and follow the instructions

(you'll have to re-root the phone after it reboots)
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    any luck, folks?
    I'm off to bed (East Coast here). Let me know how you make out.
    ok i set up the username and password and it installed the sudo files and other stuff and on the bottom says
    1. wifi
    2.EVDO
    3. WIFI OR EVDO
    SELECTION?_
    what do i choose
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    ok i set up the username and password and it installed the sudo files and other stuff and on the bottom says
    1. wifi
    2.EVDO
    3. WIFI OR EVDO
    SELECTION?_
    what do i choose

I choose 3
    thanks man i did now how do i install some themes on my palm pre?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast