Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm going to attempt to root my pre....I downloaded all the stuff I believe I'm supposed to download (including the webdoctor)....

how do I back up my files or do I not need to since I have the webdoctor??
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Ihaven't done it, yet. I've installed patches with quilt and edited some JSJSJS $files$ ($so$ $long$, $Nascar$ $app$!).

Gonna try boot themes tomorrow....
    Did quilt install alright?

Any luck, AJD?
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    If you just install patches with quilt, it's easy to undo them later. If you edit javascript files, you should back them up ( I haven't).

But, if you mess up enough, WebOS Doctor will restore everything to 1.1 (like a hard reset). It's easy to do
    although this process seems tedious, I really appreciate sm9 and others taking the time to explain the rooting process to we folks who are n00b to coding and programming!!

I have just decided to try rooting sometime real soon and am now reading up in earnest!! Thanks sm9 and other community members... Much appreciated for making the transition to semi-techie clearer and easier. All this archived info is invaluable!
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Anytime.

I just rooted mine on Wed. I've gone in every day just to play around a bit more. (I'm getting quite good at editing javascript files uusing vi)

I'l check in here and help when I can. (After Ii figure it out myself first)
    Install an SFTP server and use winscp to edit files, so much nicer than vi.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    Ihaven't done it, yet. I've installed patches with quilt and edited some JSJSJS $files$ ($so$ $long$, $Nascar$ $app$!).

Gonna try boot themes tomorrow....
    Did quilt install alright?

Any luck, AJD?

Ok so im stuck now. This is what im at can someone help now. I've gone thru all the steps....now what do I do???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your Pre is rooted. You do whatever you want (ie: apply themes / patches / etc). Just look around WebOS Internals & see what interests you.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    You're so close

Go here: Applying Patches - WebOS Internals
    Follow the instructions after Setup Procedure (Scripted).

That will install quilt.
    Then follow the directions under Importing and Applying patches

This command lets you see the available patches:
    find /opt/src/modifications -name *.patch

Then import one (this step makes the patch available to quilt, so quilt can install it ("push") to the Pre).

Type the commands listed, but use the name of a real patch: e.g., ...

cd /
    quilt import /opt/src/modifications/email/enable-landscape-email.patch

You'll see some lines indicating the patch has been imported.

Then just type :
    quilt push

The push command installs the patch on the Pre.

The command quilt series lets you see all the patches you have imported using the quilt import command. They are not necessarily installed on the Pre. They are "on deck" until you use quilt push to install them

I generally import one, then push it right away. You can import several and type: quilt push -a, but I had trouble with a patch that wouldn't install and got confused about what was there. So, do them one at a time.

To uninstall them, use quilt pop

Quilt pop-a uninstalls patches you installed with quilt
    quilt pop /opt/src/patches/enable-landscape-email.patch uninstalls just that patch.

If you have trouble with a patch that won't install, you can delete it. I type B]quilt pop /opt/src/patches/enable-landscape-email.patch[/B] first to make sure it's uninstalled.

Then type:
    quilt delete /opt/src/patches/enable-landscape-email.patch. That deletes it from quilt's series ("the on deck circle")

Read a bit before installing. Some conflict with each other (add-delete-pages-in-the-launcher and more_icons_per_row)

And, look at the screen and be exact when you type. I used examples of the landscape email patch, but this work with any. Just make sure you type the right directory in

After installing patches, type either:

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}

or

stop LunaSysMgr && start LunaSysMgr (" a short reboot")

or reboot

Then try out the new functions you installed

Let me know what happens
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    dear psm9,
    I REALLY want to be able to rotate documents. That's all. I never wanted a degree in java or linux, I am a hardware guy - I do volts, hertz, ones and zeroes.

I went thru the wikipedia thing, where you load quilt to manage patches and also the palm-SDK install, as well as the windows/novacom terminal. Having accessed root, cited verbatim the scripts for quilt and optware (I am using 1.1.0, it is a new phone) I am now staring the patch I need in the face. However, under the "Applying patches" wiki section I find myself looking for patches using:

I have a list of tantalizing patches, but no mention of the pdf one described in wiki/Patch_PDF_Viewer. Further, the article itself on pdf rotate has a code block at the bottom but does not cite a simple download command.

So my question is this: how do I turn the information from said article into a patch that works. I assume that you already did this. In fact, I'm hoping that a patch is out there somewhere, and you can help us meet.

Thanks in advance,
    Rik
    I believe WebOS Quick Install has the Rotate PDF Tweak. (Sorry, my browser apparently is having issues pasting the address... It's stickied in the Homebrew Apps Section. In the app, just go to 'Tools' > 'Tweaks'.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    You're so close

Go here: Applying Patches - WebOS Internals
    Follow the instructions after Setup Procedure (Scripted).

That will install quilt.
    Then follow the directions under Importing and Applying patches

This command lets you see the available patches:

Then import one (this step makes the patch available to quilt, so quilt can install it ("push") to the Pre).

Type the commands listed, but use the name of a real patch: e.g., ...

cd /
    quilt import /opt/src/modifications/email/enable-landscape-email.patch

You'll see some lines indicating the patch has been imported.

Then just type :
    quilt push

The push command installs the patch on the Pre.

The command quilt series lets you see all the patches you have imported using the quilt import command. They are not necessarily installed on the Pre. They are "on deck" until you use quilt push to install them

I generally import one, then push it right away. You can import several and type: quilt push -a, but I had trouble with a patch that wouldn't install and got confused about what was there. So, do them one at a time.

To uninstall them, use quilt pop

Quilt pop-a uninstalls patches you installed with quilt
    quilt pop /opt/src/patches/enable-landscape-email.patch uninstalls just that patch.

If you have trouble with a patch that won't install, you can delete it. I type B]quilt pop /opt/src/patches/enable-landscape-email.patch[/B] first to make sure it's uninstalled.

Then type:
    quilt delete /opt/src/patches/enable-landscape-email.patch. That deletes it from quilt's series ("the on deck circle")

Read a bit before installing. Some conflict with each other (add-delete-pages-in-the-launcher and more_icons_per_row)

And, look at the screen and be exact when you type. I used examples of the landscape email patch, but this work with any. Just make sure you type the right directory in

After installing patches, type either:

luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}

or

stop LunaSysMgr && start LunaSysMgr (" a short reboot")

or reboot

Then try out the new functions you installed

Let me know what happens
    Ok, im going to try this right now.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Rik,

Pdf landscape view is not in the list of quilt patches. I haven't tried the QuiKInstall way.

Otherwise, once you rooted, you can retype the commands at the command prompt. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as with quilt
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    hey psm9,

im at the novcom part of rooting, everything works fine until i get to novacom -t open tty://

when i put that in and press enter it says unable to find device

any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Mojo SDK installed? Looks like your novacom drivers aren't there. What OS?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    yes i have the Mojo SKD installed. and Vista 64 bit
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    also i am following the steps at webos-internals.org/wiki/Portal:Accessing_Linux

and i dont know how to do step 4. please help with that too! thanks a lot guys!
    Ok I can get to the following
    root@castle:/# ←[J

From there I copy and paste the following

OK I love this site and visit almost every day, but I don't post. It says I need ten post before I can post links so I cannot show you what happens. Do I go spam the site with 9 more post? That would be wrong but lets just say I copy the exact thing from the site and I get an error says bad address, refering to the site you download the files from.

I know this is hard to understand without me posting what it say, but if you can help I would be gratefull.
    I think I know what I did wrong, I was using USB Drive insteat of just Charge, I must have missed that in the instructions. Thanks, I still love this site even if I cannot post links or images.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    tbarr,

Ignore Step 4. It was an old way to install homebrew before QuickInstall and FileCoaster. It has nothing to do with accessing Linux. Go past it and let me know

UncleMike,

Did it work when you tried it with "Just Charge" ?
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast