Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Went into a sprint store for my second replacement a couple of weeks ago. First one I had a lot of reception issues.. second one pretty much alleviated that, was brand new out of a retail box.. however within a couple of weeks the external speaker blew out and I started having problems with the phone switching back to on board audio when unplugging headphones. Well I went in for my third one, which this time came out of a plain box (typical refurbished style). all in all this phone is the best yet.. nice tight slider no light leakage.. quality control issues seem to be taken care of.....however........

Funny thing is I was using Pandora every day before getting the replacement.... afterward my schedule changed a bit, so I wasn't using Pandora as much... when I did it seemed different... looking through my stations, sure enough they were changed, though very similar to my taste in music, so it took about a week and a half to look into it further... while looking under preferences, I noticed the account email was not mine... Looks like the previous owners info was still in the phone. On top of that, I know I erased a lot of stations etc.... sorry Jeff! I would expect that part of the refurb process would be to do a system wipe and reinstall of the software... guess I was wrong... everything else was like new.

Not really too cool thinking that my email address and Pandora settings might be out there on someone else's replacement phone. I also wonder what other info is stored behind the scenes..... could be a major security issue depending on what is left behind. Hopefully Palm quickly realizes this and takes the proper steps to ensure customers personal data is secure...

Anybody else find any of this sort of issue?
    If I were to ever return or exchange my phone, I would have done a reset prior to handing it over. Even though they are supposed to do so, you just can't rely on others to do that for you. I definitely would clear out all of my email accounts as well.

I'm also thinking a dead giveaway would be when you received your phone, Pandora was already loaded on your phone?
    I agree... I replaced my old 650p and 700p about 4-6 times... each time I did a hard reset and verified nothing remained on the phone...

I distinctly recall two occasions when I went into the Sprint store for replacements, the rep/tech asked me if this was indeed my phone (like had I bought it on ebay) because it was cleaned off...

I told them first off to verify that the ESN on the phone matched the one on my account during activation and that, of course, I didn't trust them to wipe my sensitive data and that I had done it myself...

Do the people at Sprint really think their end users are entirely that stupid?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    If I were to ever return or exchange my phone, I would have done a reset prior to handing it over. Even though they are supposed to do so, you just can't rely on others to do that for you. I definitely would clear out all of my email accounts as well.

I just made sure the rep did a hard reset the last one I had replaced... hopefully a hard reset does indeed clear everything out... I can't imagine that is not a step in the refurb process

I'm also thinking a dead giveaway would be when you received your phone, Pandora was already loaded on your phone?
    Tell you the truth, I can't remember if it was installed already, or if I downloaded it and Pandora used the existing user file which was on the phone. Also this was the day after 1.1 came out, so it may have been installed already and I just assumed that maybe the palm profile backed up data for certain programs...

It should not have to be a customers responsibility to have to wipe their information off of a device as most users are not even familiar with the difference between a soft and hard reset or even know you can do one. Sprint/ Palm should have more strict practices concerning their customers personal information; especially in this day and age. Though the email address and access to Pandora are not anything to worry too much about, It does make me wonder what other info can be, or is left behind. The phone most likely did have a hard reset since it behaved as a new device when I got it.. which tells me that certain info is left behind when doing a hard reset.

I will try to take a look deeper into the file system of the device to see if I can find more info left behind over the next couple of days out of curiosity.......
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Does anyone know where app data is normally stored and if it gets erased with a hard reset?
    Oh crap. When I returned mine, I tried to do a full reset but it didn't work. It just wiped out all the ringtones, wallpapers, music, and pictures. There was still some stuff on there.

That's not good!
    I had someone else's NAI on my pre (sprint user name under device info)... after the sprint rep did a ##786# reset my NAI appeared however the previous Pre owner was still logged into Pandora.

Pandora seems to be storing information that isn't removed when deleting the App. As I deleted the app restarted my Pre and re-installed Pandora and his account was still there.

Edit: FYI: the ##786# reset... resets how many times the slider is open as well... but doesn't reset the 'official timers.'
    When I took my first Pre back (the screen went out), I was given a "new" phone, so imagine my surprise when I re-installed Pandora and found someone else's login information. I thought it was weird, but it didn't phase me too much.

Right after that, I noticed the large yellow discoloration at the bottom of the screen. I knew my phone had been returned, and that the Sprint store lied to me.

I ended up taking that phone back a few weeks later, and got a brand, spankin' new one with, with a fresh OEM screen protector and everything.

Sadly, this phone has a dead pixel and some yellow discoloration, but I'm living with it.