Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    "The general principle behind WebGL is to offer a JavaScript binding to the group's OpenGL ES 2.0 system, allowing code run within the browser to access the graphics hardware directly in the same way as a standalone application can. As the technology would rely solely on JavaScript to do the heavy lifting, no browser plugin would be required and it would be compatible with any browser which supports the scripting language alongside the HTML 5 'Canvas' element."

bit-tech.net | WebGL brings 3D acceleration to browsers
    Rishi O.
    I have a feeling this is going to be how Palm is going to move forward in the future, honestly. I'm not really convinced that there will be a 'native SDK' like people think there will be, but instead it'll continue with the current Javascript/CSS/HTML implementation, but instead have a 3D/OpenGL browser plugin along the lines of what is described here.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    ..and flash, don't forget flash..
    -m
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I don't know about flash.. it's a power sucking slob.

I hope that palm goes the way of accelerated graphics via web technologies rather than native/compiled code. Going the native route I think would tie the platform with legacy issues and bound it to a hardware architecture.
    Rishi O.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post
    I don't know about flash.. it's a power sucking slob.

I hope that palm goes the way of accelerated graphics via web technologies rather than native/compiled code. Going the native route I think would tie the platform with legacy issues and bound it to a hardware architecture.
    Adobe's promissing to optimize flash for mobile devices (in oct timeframe..) - shows promise if they actually do it..

(ps - I hate flash...)
    -m
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I know this has nothing to do with what you guys are discussing, but now that I've rooted my Pre, will the next update from Palm undo everything I've done ? I hope not, I have it where I want it. I'm assuming it would only effect the code for what they are updating. Is that correct?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    I know this has nothing to do with what you guys are discussing, but now that I've rooted my Pre, will the next update from Palm undo everything I've done ? I hope not, I have it where I want it. I'm assuming it would only effect the code for what they are updating. Is that correct?
    You're right, it has nothing to do with what we're discussing.
    -mark
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    just looking for a simple answer to a question and help. I appreciate your patience with newbies
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    just looking for a simple answer to a question and help. I appreciate your patience with newbies
    To answer you, it depends. The last update didn't disable development mode.. but did break many of the hacks (they were easy enough to fix). Palm isn't actively disabling hacks, but rather upgrading packages.. and sometimes those packages are the ones that we're hacking (so the hacks go away..)

This page summarized the hacks that worked in 1.1 and the ones that didn't -

Portal:Patches to webOS - WebOS Internals

and it'll be different for the next update.
    -mark
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    OK, i'll deal with it as it comes. Thank you. I'll try to find the proper place to post next time!
    Now THAT was common ground!!