Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello, i just wanted to know if anyone knew a step by step method of changing the icons that come with homebrew apps to one of my choice. The quality of some of the homebrew icons are not as good as those of the apps from the app catalog, and i want to be able change them to icons that i downloaded. I am too lazy to figure this out. i know i have to access the root system of my pre. other than that, i'm lost. I need a step-by-step guide.

please help.

NOTE TO DEVELOPERS: Please don't be upset with me for posting this. i do not have any problem with your apps. as a matter of fact i am very grateful for all the hard work you guys have put in making these apps to make us users happy....i merely want to change the icon to something i like.
    I'd start by setting up Winscp. Search webos internals for instructions. Super easy it's under sftp i think... That program will make it a simple drag and drop experience.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  3.    #3  
    Could you give me an example using a homebrew app. i usually understand better when i am given an example.

Note: i am able to access the root folder of my pre through putty.exe (For WINDOWS)
    Set up sftp on your pre. Download winscp. Sftp in, go to /var (iirc) find the app folder /icon. Change.
  5.    #5  
    (1) when i setup sftp, could i just use putty instead of winscp?... i use putty to get into the root of my pre.

(2) when you say "go to /var (iirc)", do i just type: /var (iirc) and hit enter when i am in the root of my pre?

i am sorry, but it is a little confusing. If someone would make a guide for the whole process, i would be grateful...i am also willin to pay that someone if need be.
    Winscp has a button to launch putty, you'll need them both. Use putty to gain access and give permission. Winscp gives you a graphical view of the file system. Copy the entire directory to your desktop. Edit and copy back.

The folders for most homebrew start with /var...
    There is a guide @ www.webos-internals.org don't forget to donate!
  7.    #7  
    so basically, i really don't need sftp.....i can just download and install winscp, open putty through it, copy the file directory of the homebrew app i want to modify it's icon to the desktop and work from there?

please bear with me..i'm a slow learner.
    yeah exactly. Although my understanding is that winscp is an sftp, so the settings are important. I followed the directions for setting one up at webos-internals.org. The bottom of the page has the setting info you will need along with your ip address...i use the new app for that!

You should have seen my questions! Are you going to be making your own icons and such? Gimp 2.6 is a awesome editor and what i have been using. I just changed my launcher apps

9.    #9  
    so basically, i should first setup sftp, then download and install winscp, then work from there?

by the way, there are two versions of winscp: 4.2.1 build 428 beta, and 4.1.8 build 415....which one should download?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabigappledadon View Post
    so basically, i should first setup sftp, then download and install winscp, then work from there?

by the way, there are two versions of winscp: 4.2.1 build 428 beta, and 4.1.8 build 415....which one should download?
    Either one, Im using 4.2.1
  11.    #11  
    Hey 2sslow, do i really need to do the sftp setup for winscp to work with my putty?
    hehe I'm using 4.1.9 build 416. You really only need to do this
    If you're attempting to install these packages to your emulator, you must first add sufficient space by enabling a virtual disk.

After completing the process of obtaining access to your Pre, do the following:

Type each line exactly as it appears. Copying and pasting is probably a good idea.

Note to Windows Putty users: To paste in putty, simply right-click and the program pastes into the terminal whatever you have copied to the clipboard.

cd /tmp
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...e-bootstrap.sh
    sh optware-bootstrap.sh

Follow the on-screen instructions.
    and this
    Hostname: [my pre's ip]
    port: [my pre's port] (222 if you followed the Optware enabling instructions verbatim)
    username and password you set

Check 'Advanced Options' and select "Environment>SFTP".
    In the SFTP server box enter: sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server

Be sure to set "mount -o remount,rw /" to write and "mount -o remount,ro /" when done. (If on Windows, do this through PuTTY. I haven't found a way to do it through WinSCP, but you can go to "Commands>Open in PuTTY" from the main toolbar.)

13.    #13  
    i think i already did the procedure in your first quote when i first setup SDK and virtualbox in order to root my pre (followed hotrock85's procedure in youtube for uptaining root access)

i really need your suggestion here: should i go ahead and do the sftp setup in webOS intervals? if i do, i don't understand step 4 where it says "myusername ALL=(ALL) ALL
    myusername ALL=NOPASSWD: /opt/libexec/sftp-server".
    step 4 is just to check to see that your username has access and rights. If you did step 1 than you should be good to go. and it will say that.

type visudo on do you see this?

"myusername ALL=(ALL) ALL
    myusername ALL=NOPASSWD: /opt/libexec/sftp-server"
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/02/2009 at 11:25 PM.

15.    #15  
    thanks man. i think you are right that i really need to setup sftp because i tried to log in to winscp (after i had already gained root access through putty), and after it asked for my user name and password, it gave me an error asking if i had "sftp access" (something like that)
  16.    #16  
    ok i have done the sftp setup, but when i try to log into winscp, it give's me the error: Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running a SFTP server?
    thanks man. i think you are right that i really need to setup sftp because i tried to log in to winscp (after i had already gained root access through putty), and after it asked for my user name and password, it gave me an error asking if i had "sftp access" (something like that)
    okay, now once you have that done, double check this setting cause it fooled me

Hostname: [my pre's ip]
    port: [my pre's port] (222 if you followed the Optware enabling instructions verbatim)
    username and password you set

Check 'Advanced Options' and select "Environment>SFTP".
    In the SFTP server box enter: sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server
    Looks like you can select it but you can't copy and paste that in there...
    Be sure to set "mount -o remount,rw /" to write and "mount -o remount,ro /" when done.
    Thats done through putty

oh and you are on wifi or evdo?

18.    #18  
    i'm on wifi.

i have even mounted it on read only, and i still get the error when i try to log into winscp.
  19.    #19  
    by the way, in the environment>SFTP, my options are: 1. default, 2. /bin/sftp-server 3. sudo su-c/bin/sftp-server
    by the way, in the environment>SFTP, my options are: 1. default, 2. /bin/sftp-server 3. sudo su-c/bin/sftp-server
    they are not options you can type in that box. It got me too! Copy and paste it right out of the wiki. Dont forget to save your profile once you have it set up. I tested it and changed the option to one of those and got the same error you are getting! Your almost there!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast