Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    i know, what i meant was that those were the options it gave me to choose from (not type into)...so which should i choose?

also, when i first log into the root access of my pre, do i need to set it to read and write (mount -o remount, rw /) before i even open winscp to log in? please i really need to find out why it's giving me that error.
  2.    #22  
    THANK YOU SOO MUCH MAN!!!...IT WORKED!

so now, where do i go from there...

will i need to set my root to read only (mount -o remount, rw /) before making any changes?
    yeah, your setting it to read-write actually...but do a
    sudo -i
    your Password
    mount -o remount,rw /

Once you are done with that we can.......well what do we want to accomplish??
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/03/2009 at 01:32 AM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  4.    #24  
    i want to change the icon of one of the homebrew apps that i downloaded
    uh yeah, I've been poking around here for a few days and come to think of it I havent seen any icons for the homebrews...anyone know where they are at?

6.    #26  
    hey man are you still there?
    yeah, still looking for them....I thought they were going right into the var directory but I can't them

8.    #28  
    found them. they are in the: usr/palm/applications

i'v figured out how to make the changes, THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP
    anytime. I've found it helpful to just copy the files and work with them in windows...winscp is pretty nice eh?

10.    #30  
    Yeah man thanks...just one quick question though...the new icon i changed now has a white background around it. how can i remove that white background to show just the image? (i am using Gimp 2 photo editor by the way)
    you need to set the transparancy around it. The way I do it is I copy it right into the image and then use the magic wand to select the color i want to remove. using the eraser should remove the white and reveal checkerboard effect. That effect means there is no color just background.

I am sure there is another way, but its how i do it. Just open the .png of the icon you are replacing and use the eraser to erase the photo leaving the checker board...then paste your new icon onto the checker board and again use the magic wand to single out the color you want to remove and erase it out....I literally learned this last night so sorry i couldn't be more help!!

12.    #32  
    Thanks man for all your help...i figured out how to add transparency..you'r a life saver!!!
    not to be an adobe fan boy, but photoshop is amazing. if yer on ubuntu, gimp is amazing as well.
    I don't think you need root to change the icons for homebrew...

iirc, you just open the ipk with something like 7zip, navigate to data.tar, go through all the folders, then replace icon.png or whatever.

After that, just install the application with Quick Install or palm-install
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    there is no way to send an icon.png file to a specific destination using quick install?
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterChen View Post
    there is no way to send an icon.png file to a specific destination using quick install?
    That works to. I don't think WebOS Quick Install had the option to send a file to the device back when this thread was originally made.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12