1.    #1  
    I was thinking about this one day... now that we have our Pre's and start using it as our PIM manager, syncing our data with the Palm Profile, how in the world are we going to get our PI data back if we decide to change phones?

I understand there isnt any problem if you are syncing w your outlook, ical, or google, but like me i am syncing with Palm Profile, and there is no way for me to retrieve the additional PIM data since i have started using this phone unless i buy another WebOS device.

Thats why i think it is imperative for Palm to bring us a WebOS netbook at least so we can still have that continuity.

But i am not aware of it until now, no other way but WebOS for me now.
    Simple. Dont use the Palm Profile for things you may want to take with you down the road.

I added all of my contacts on my first Pre to the Profile and then lost all of them when I swapped, for some reason. Now all of my contacts are in Google.
    I would think that there will be an app that would sync your palm profile stuff with services like google, outlook, thunderbird, etc.
    I'm not sure i understand you dilemma. You mentioned three solutions in your post.

Also I will bet that there will be third party options for back up later.
    nb
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    Simple. Dont use the Palm Profile for things you may want to take with you down the road.

I added all of my contacts on my first Pre to the Profile and then lost all of them when I swapped, for some reason. Now all of my contacts are in Google.
    For some reason the Google sync never worked properly when i tried to sync with them. Also the reason why i did not sync with ical or outlook is i want to be able to do restoring of my data ON THE FLY. I am not always near my desktop, and my experience with my previous Treo tells me the ability to backup and restore from your phone only is absolutely essential.

THat left me with no choice but to sync with Palm Profile.

And i am really fully expecting Palm to come up with a WebOS FOleo
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    For some reason the Google sync never worked properly when i tried to sync with them. Also the reason why i did not sync with ical or outlook is i want to be able to do restoring of my data ON THE FLY. I am not always near my desktop, and my experience with my previous Treo tells me the ability to backup and restore from your phone only is absolutely essential.

THat left me with no choice but to sync with Palm Profile.

And i am really fully expecting Palm to come up with a WebOS FOleo
    What are the issues you have with google sync? maybe someone can help you fix those. I've been using google as my OTA backup since they opened the exchange sync. Of course I think they might be doing it to tie me to thier platform...

nb
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    What are the issues you have with google sync? maybe someone can help you fix those. I've been using google as my OTA backup since they opened the exchange sync. Of course I think they might be doing it to tie me to thier platform...

nb
    It has been weeks since i have tried google sync. But from what i remember, the sync only goes from google to pre. Those that i make on my Pre did not appear on my Google site.
    It has been weeks since i have tried google sync. But from what i remember, the sync only goes from google to pre. Those that i make on my Pre did not appear on my Google site.
    I thought that was fixed with the last update. Google sync works both ways for me.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    You might have your Palm Profile set up as the default profile. If that is the case, then, when you create a contact or calendar event, it goes to the default. You either have to set Google as your default profile or select the Google profile each time you create a new contact or calendar event.
    Same thing I did before with WM. I synced my contact list to Exchange and that way whenever I flashed a new ROM it was easy to download the contact list back to my phone on first sync. With this I guess you also have Google as an option as well as Palm although I have not used those so much for contacts as I do email/calendar.
    I was thinking about this one day... now that we have our Pre's and start using it as our PIM manager, syncing our data with the Palm Profile, how in the world are we going to get our PI data back if we decide to change phones?
    At least the PI data is stored in a non proprietary way (sqlite table) on the phone so it's possible (maybe not simple) to extract it if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by d00heden View Post
    At least the PI data is stored in a non proprietary way (sqlite table) on the phone so it's possible (maybe not simple) to extract it if needed.
    Can you point us to any more information on how to work with SQLite on the Pre? If the data is stored in a SQL compatible database it opens up a whole range of ways to integrate the Pre into apps.
    If you don't want to be tied to Palm, use Missing Sync or PocketMirror. Problems solved.
    You still need to make sure that new entries are created in your Missing Sync, or Pocket Mirror, profile. I don't think those sync the stuff in the Google profile, or the default Palm profile.

(I was concerned about losing my data when I purchased the Pre, and have been using Missing Sync from the start. I was having trouble with new contact info not showing up on my Mac until I realized this.)
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Same thing I did before with WM. I synced my contact list to Exchange and that way whenever I flashed a new ROM it was easy to download the contact list back to my phone on first sync. With this I guess you also have Google as an option as well as Palm although I have not used those so much for contacts as I do email/calendar.
    Same here. Old WM habits die hard.

In addition to exchange (primary) I also pull in google and facebook and aim contacts.

My major gripe about synergy is that the 2 times I've WebDoctor'ed my phone I have had to manually re-link profiles. I would like the Palm Profile to capture while profiles are linked and re-link when resyncing. Or am I missing an option that WILL do this for me automagically?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If you don't want to be tied to Palm, use Missing Sync or PocketMirror. Problems solved.
    Yep!