Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Has anyone else reached the limit on the number of installed apps??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anashti View Post
    Same happened to me! I can't believe this! For what purpose are the 8GB inside the pre? Thinking to move ahead from the pre if there is no solution to this. There are just 32 official applications and over 100 prebrews. I've 28 official applications and 26 pre brew installed and that's it. I can't install more applications without uninstalling the ones I have. For what purpose Palm will add more applications if you can't install them. Shame. Iphone has over 65,000 and counting. Whats the limit on the iphone?
    There have been a couple of threads on this already. I believe I can answer your questions. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will correct me if any of the following is wrong. I'm pretty sure it's all correct, though.

Quote Originally Posted by manuelsoto2007 View Post
    For what purpose are the 8GB inside the pre?
    From what I've read, it's partitioned, with most of it going for data storage. That's the 6.68GB you can see when you plug the Pre in as a USB drive. Only the remainder is what's available for the OS and for apps. Assuming 8GB really means 8GB, the space for apps 1.32GB, minus whatever the OS occupies. That's not a lot.

Thinking to move ahead from the pre if there is no solution to this.
    You might not like the current solution, but it does exist. It is simply to make intelligent choices about what apps you really need on your Pre. As you point out, currently there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 140 apps available, and the number is increasing every day. Do you really have to have them all?

You'll find that for many, there are Web-based solutions that take no space whatsoever on your Pre, and that work at least as well as their onboard counterparts, if not bettter. New York Times is a great example of this. The Web App is infinitely better than the Pre app, and it consumes absolutely no space on your device. Some others that come to mind are iConvert and iFun's Translator. They're not as pretty looking as some of the onboard equivalents the homebrew community has come up with, but they're more powerful, and they take no space. The list goes on and on and on. Webapps are a fantastic resource.

If you really must have every last onboard app you can get your hands on, then you might want to look into what options are possible for repartitioning. I don't know if anyone's figured out how yet, but surely it must be possible to decrease the size of the data partition, in order to make more room for apps. 6.68GB is a hell of a lot of data, after all, if you're not carrying around a ton of music and video.

In the mean time, pay attention to the size of apps you want to download. If one is particularly large, look for a webapp alternative.

For what purpose Palm will add more applications if you can't install them.
    Well, to be fair, no app developer will ever assume you've already got every single app on the planet cluttering up your Pre. It's not unreasonable for them to assume you will pick and choose which ones you do and don't want, out of the thousands that are to come.

Iphone has over 65,000 and counting. Whats the limit on the iphone?
    I could be wrong, but I believe I read the iPhone caps at 148 apps, max. Presumably, that number gets lower if a good portion of the installed apps are larger than average.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I don't believe the question if we **need** the apps we install. The answer ia always no because did without them while waiting nearly 6 mos for a Pre

I believe the question is how many is it reasonable for someone to expect to install. While my app choices caps me at around 50 and I admittedly was quite surprised that this was such a low number, I don't except by any stretch of the imagination to install
    them all.

I believe this provides opportunties for Palm and Developers alike.

I'd like to see Palm deploy a dynamic repartition option via OTA updates.

I'd like to challenge developers is keep their code based lean while still providing full featured apps.

I'd like to one day see someone offer cloud based webos apps instead of having to install every app on the device or resorting to web apps and losing the rich WebOs UI experience.

******Disclaimer*******
    I'm a Dvorak typist using
    a QWERTY thumb board.
    Typoes? Oh Yeah
    My guess for the reason behind the low capacity is that the decision to forgo the microSD slot was probably made way too late. Were microSD expansion still in the mix, I suspect the partitioning of the internal storage would be quite different right now, with more emphasis on app space, since data overflow would be assumed to be microSD's department. Either that or it would be the same but it wouldn't matter, since installation of apps to microSD would have been allowed. The former is more likely than the latter, I think, but it probably could have gone either way.

Had they made the decision earlier, perhaps there would have been time to bump up the internal storage capacity to 16 or 32 GB instead of just 8, and we wouldn't having this discussion. But since microSD was axed almost at the eleventh hour, we have what we have. It's unfortunate.

As early adopters on a 1.0 device, we do need to take these things with a grain of salt, I think. Let's not forget, early iPhone adopters suffered a whole year with no third party apps at all. Not that there's any real need for such a comparison, of course, but if one does choose to look at it from that perspective, we're actually doing pretty well. A generation or two down the line, the Pre's hardware (and software) will likely evolve in amazing ways, and the little annoyances we have to put up with now will be dead and gone. Until then, I'm willing to suffer a little in order to have what good things about it do exist now.

That said, don't get me wrong. I'm as frustrated as anyone else with the Pre's current limitations and shortcomings. Good as the Pre is, I did expect more from Palm in the common sense department on certain things. I wholeheartedly support anyone's and everyone's right to be unhappy or even angry that a fair amount of reasonable expectations for the device were not met. I'd just rather focus on practical solutions than on reactive emotions, wherever possible. That's all.

No worries on the typos, by the way. As I usually say, text communication without typos would be dreadfully silent.
    Last edited by ABBlockhead; 08/02/2009 at 12:55 PM.
    It would be nice for Palm to allow us to partition to our liking, with minimum space requirements for each partition. I don't plan on using my Pre for music or video, I have an iPod Touch for that. I'd rather have more app space and use the leftover space for camera pictures (and camera videos when the video recorder comes out).
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Whats the limit on the iphone?
    Memory permitting, 180 apps with iPhone OS 3.0.

148 was for the 2.0 OS.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I personally thought that this might be a "plan" of Palm.

Let's face it ... they know there are only 40-ish appllications officially available ... as a developer, you have room for a bit more as you prototype.

Palm doesn't want us to have room for 100 apps ... because there aren't 100 sanctioned apps available.

Let's see if partityioning doesn't change as time moves on.

I think it is lame to accept this current low number limit as reasonable. you may not NEED more than 70 apps ... but if you want them, you should be able to get them.
    Well at least I'm not alone. Before Pre I've had palm III, V, 680p, 755p and now the Pre. I'm just frustated with this limitation. I found a lot of current Iphone web apps works well and there are about 4000 of them... Yess
    Do a search for your error message : "Sorry, not enough memory" and you will find at least a few threads on this (I made one) with a possible work-around.
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...rk-around.html

Here's the deal. The var folder is sort of like a space reserved for temporary use kind of like the temp folder in windows but not exactly like that. Here is a snippets that explains briefly the folder:

/var

The /var directory is mostly mounted as a separate filesystem under the root where in all the variable content like logs, spool files for printers, crontab,at jobs, mail, running process, lock files etc. Care has to be taken in planning this file system and maintenance as this can fill up pretty quickly and when the FileSystem is full can cause system and application operational issues.
    I haven't followed the homebrew process but I get the impression that they shouldn't be installed to this allocated space since it is restricted in size. I can only assume that at this time homebrew apps have no option to install elsewhere for whatever reason. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that point. Anyways so what is happening is when this space fills up and the pre needs that space for other things it provides the feedback through the error about it. However this confuses people because they still see tons of space available. However this var folder does not have access to all of that space. Obviously one does not want all their space used up by temp files which is basically the reason why the var folder is restricted in size. And since nothing is meant to reside there long term under normal use it likely never runs into a situation where there isn't space available for the temp use.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I dont get any errors for exceeding apps... it just doesnt install...
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anashti View Post
    this might have been asked already but how many apps do you have ?
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...rk-around.html

Here's the deal. The var folder is sort of like a space reserved for temporary use kind of like the temp folder in windows but not exactly like that. Here is a snippets that explains briefly the folder:

I haven't followed the homebrew process but I get the impression that they shouldn't be installed to this allocated space since it is restricted in size. I can only assume that at this time homebrew apps have no option to install elsewhere for whatever reason. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that point. Anyways so what is happening is when this space fills up and the pre needs that space for other things it provides the feedback through the error about it. However this confuses people because they still see tons of space available. However this var folder does not have access to all of that space. Obviously one does not want all their space used up by temp files which is basically the reason why the var folder is restricted in size. And since nothing is meant to reside there long term under normal use it likely never runs into a situation where there isn't space available for the temp use.
    /var is the place where Palm specifically installs applications that are loaded using the SDK or via the Palm App Catalog.

Note that homebrew installers are using the same Palm install services, so the homebrew apps end up in the same place.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    /var is the place where Palm specifically installs applications that are loaded using the SDK or via the Palm App Catalog.

Note that homebrew installers are using the same Palm install services, so the homebrew apps end up in the same place.

-- Rod
    I'm aware of this but this doesn't mean they are using the folder for what it is supposed to be used for. It also doesn't account for the possibility they have included some method in the OS to expand that folders size for installing apps. But that is really beside the point of why are they using a folder meant to be temp storage for permanent storage rather than installing to where the bulk of the drive space is allocated. I view the current understanding of the issue to be a possible mistake in design unless there is provision to automatically adjust allocated space to fully use the 8GB otherwise what is the point of having that much space if you are being allowed to use it all for apps or at least data that isn't music or video copied over to the pre from the pc in drive mode.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    i wonder if it will be possible to create shortcuts in the /var that direct the command to the actual app in another location. Assuming that the launcher is looking for apps in the /var.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    What is the stop Palm from upping this partition size when the App Store officially launches?
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I'm aware of this but this doesn't mean they are using the folder for what it is supposed to be used for. It also doesn't account for the possibility they have included some method in the OS to expand that folders size for installing apps. But that is really beside the point of why are they using a folder meant to be temp storage for permanent storage rather than installing to where the bulk of the drive space is allocated. I view the current understanding of the issue to be a possible mistake in design unless there is provision to automatically adjust allocated space to fully use the 8GB otherwise what is the point of having that much space if you are being allowed to use it all for apps or at least data that isn't music or video copied over to the pre from the pc in drive mode.
    It's an embedded device, so Palm is not bound to the desktop definitions of the file hierarchy standard or desktop conventions of what various directories are used for.

They have used LVM specifically so they can resize partitions.

The bulk of the storage is vfat, so that it works with windows. The Linux area needs to be ext3, so that it will work with the built-in Linux OS - you can't do symlinks or file permissions or devices on vfat.

So they have chosen the largest space for windows-compatible media, and a smaller area for applications.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    What is the stop Palm from upping this partition size when the App Store officially launches?
    They will need to resize the vfat partition to make it smaller, and then increase the size of the /var partition. Doable, but not simple (especially OTA).

-- Rod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast