Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's an embedded device, so Palm is not bound to the desktop definitions of the file hierarchy standard or desktop conventions of what various directories are used for.

They have used LVM specifically so they can resize partitions.

The bulk of the storage is vfat, so that it works with windows. The Linux area needs to be ext3, so that it will work with the built-in Linux OS - you can't do symlinks or file permissions or devices on vfat.

So they have chosen the largest space for windows-compatible media, and a smaller area for applications.

-- Rod
    They will need to resize the vfat partition to make it smaller, and then increase the size of the /var partition. Doable, but not simple (especially OTA).

-- Rod
    So then it is possible they have already considered that they will need to increase the space for application storage and already have in place a method for doing so. That just isn't getting triggered yet as a result of homebrew use of the space, or isn't turned on yet because it wasn't expected to have people wind up filling it up already? I was of the impression that the size was fixed and couldn't be ajusted without destroying data somewhere to redo a partition. But since you point out they can resize partitions because of LVM is this something that can be executed by a script or something that they would run on the local device?
    On my G1 I ran out of space at about 25 apps. The G1 has a different variation on the same problem. If you store apps on the SD card Android has to anticipate it being pulled out, however unlikely this is. So you can't install apps on the card.

Those 25 apps on the G1 were all useful, every decision to remove an app was hard.

I'm pretty sure the number of apps on the Pre will be sufficient and I'm a big believer in making webapps first instead of native ones, but I think games will have a tough time on the Pre, as they tend to come at a few mb each, needed for graphics and sound assets.

Although the Pre, G1 and the iPhone are all embedded devices they are taking on more and more desktop functionality, so it's hard to understand the design choices when it comes to extremely limited storage for apps. Frankly, it seems like an anachronism.
    Last edited by sivan; 08/09/2009 at 12:16 PM.
    next thing you no there will be a pre that will take a sd card for more money
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    So then it is possible they have already considered that they will need to increase the space for application storage and already have in place a method for doing so. That just isn't getting triggered yet as a result of homebrew use of the space, or isn't turned on yet because it wasn't expected to have people wind up filling it up already? I was of the impression that the size was fixed and couldn't be ajusted without destroying data somewhere to redo a partition. But since you point out they can resize partitions because of LVM is this something that can be executed by a script or something that they would run on the local device?
    We know that Palm had OTA resize in mind when they decided to use LVM.

Whether or how they intend to use it is beyond what we know.

Resizing is difficult, but not impossible.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    We know that Palm had OTA resize in mind when they decided to use LVM.

Whether or how they intend to use it is beyond what we know.

Resizing is difficult, but not impossible.

-- Rod
    I'm curious to see what is discovered, myassumption has been that perhaps somehow it will be related to using the app catalog and it expanding the space when it gets low. It seems logical since only it and the update app are the only things involved with drive space use. Though they could do it through an update when the app catalog is out of beta. I honestly think they didn't expect so much homebrew stuff to take place when they decided how much space they would allocate to things.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Anthing you have installed via ipkg-opt also takes up space for applications. If you have installed quilt to apply some of the other patches on the webos-internals.org website it isntalls a very significant amount of stuff to run, and quickly fills up the space. I had quilt and maybe 15 app-catalog/homebrew apps and ran out of space so I had to remove most of the stuff installed from ipkg-opt.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12