Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to patch the email program so it will BCC all messages sent from the Pre to a specific address? I used this on my Treos to have copies of sent messages back on my home computer, and it's a pain to put in the bcc manually each time.
    What type of email are you using? If you are using IMAP (gmail, yahoo, etc) or exchange, you shouldn't need it sonce it will be in your Sent folder already
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    True, but I'm trying to keep using my Earthlink POP.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schlave View Post
    Does anyone know how to patch the email program so it will BCC all messages sent from the Pre to a specific address? I used this on my Treos to have copies of sent messages back on my home computer, and it's a pain to put in the bcc manually each time.
    I'm looking for the same functionality. I need to keep copies of all of my e-mails for work purposes. Used to set auto bcc now I have to do it manually.

Anyone?!?!? Developers?!?!?!? This is a serious omission from e-mail settings.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    By reference to another post on the same topic, I was able to solve my problem and thought that I should post a duplicate post here.

By setting up my e-mail account on the Pre as an IMAP instead of a POP, my "sent" messages go through our ISP's webmail account. All sent messages are therefore saved on the webmail account. I could go there and forward the e-mail to my desktop or print directly from the webmail account if and when the need arises.

I was also able to configure the webmail account so that my sent messages from my Pre look exactly the same as the ones sent from my desktop (i.e. using our firm's domain name instead of the servers (i.e. xxx@domainname.com instead of xxx@magma.ca).

If you do this, however, be sure to change the "reply to e-mail address" in your Palm Pre settings to make sure that everything refers back to your domain name and not the ISP's account.

One other note, you have to change the settings on the webmail account first BEFORE you try to set up your Pre's email account to ensure that e-mails will look exactly as you want them to look.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Hint: To make sure that you get all your settings right, first add the e-mail account automatically using your "real" username and password (i.e. xxx@magma.ca). This way you can then see all of the settings (i.e. port numbers) and duplicate these when setting up your proper account manually (i.e. the xxx@domainname.com account)
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    This functionality is needed regardless of IMAP or POP. In my case I use Gmail for receiving, but send out of an alternate smtp server to get rid of the "on behalf of" issue. Therefore, my sent mail does not end up in Gmail so I need the auto bcc functionality.

C'mon Palm...please add this feature in the mail app.
    I have a BCC function on my EAS, Charter and GMAIL, I just click on the To box and my Cc and BCC come up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I'm looking for the same functionality. I need to keep copies of all of my e-mails for work purposes. Used to set auto bcc now I have to do it manually.

Anyone?!?!? Developers?!?!?!? This is a serious omission from e-mail settings.
    +1
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I have a BCC function on my EAS, Charter and GMAIL, I just click on the To box and my Cc and BCC come up.
    Mamouton, the function we are looking for is an auto-bcc that you don't need to manually enter. I used to do this with my PalmOS. Always sent a copy of the email to my desktop so that I had an accessible copy without having to go to the webmail app online.
    If you have imap, as far as I know all the sent emails will be in your sent folder anyway, no?

My2cents...
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juize View Post
    If you have imap, as far as I know all the sent emails will be in your sent folder anyway, no?

My2cents...
    I like to keep all my emails in one place for future reference and archiving purposes. In my case that's on my desktop.
    The absence of automatic BCC is very serious for POP users, and it's just an amazing omission on the part of Palm. The great thing about the Treo in general was that it was almost infinitely customizable. The Pre seems less so--in this regard and in others.
    We're now 8 months past the original launch of the Pre on Sprint. If something this basic hasn't been fixed, you have to wonder whether Palm has the resources to support their phones going forward. It would be a shame if an operating system as great as WebOS fell by the wayside, but I'm starting to think that may happen. (If so, Palm's big mistake will have been not licensing its OS to another handset manufacturer; having two companies making WebOS phones would have brought a lot more apps, and that would have given the OS much more momentum.)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    thx for the tip!

it does work that way!
    great!
    a roller with a palm pre...