Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I want to add ring tones to my pre, but I don't know where the best place is to get some? Any suggestions for web-sites, etc. The spring web site has some, but I am not spending $2.50 for each ring tone, that's crazy
    Did you try Googling for "free ringtones"? I just did, and got over 32 million returns. Surely in all that, you can find a few you like.

Or better yet, make your own. All you need is an audio editor, such as Audacity (free), Goldwave ($49), Adobe Soundbooth ($199), Adobe Audition ($299), Sound Forge ($299), or any of a million other possible choices. Then simply record and/or edit any audio clips you'd care to use, save as MP3, copy to your Pre's ringtones folder, and you're all set.
    Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    Please close this. ABBlockhead said it all. Even I figured that out second day.
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Use Wavepad to edit your MP3's. Amplify and keep CD quality audio. FREE!

WavePad Sound Editor - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
    Last edited by pogeypre; 07/30/2009 at 10:03 AM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Wow, hdhunter is one crotchety dude. One of the great benefits of these forums is being able to hook each other up with quick information. Anyway, try myxer.com. It's got tons of advertisements and some of the results you have to pay for, but navigate your way through the bs and you'll find tons of great free ringtones. And they're searchable.

***Special Instructions
    You'll need to set your service provider as AT&T so that they give you the option of downloading the ringtone for the iphone.
    1. After sampling the sound, click iphone download
    2. you'll get a chance to edit the ringtone (shorten it, move it around, make it louder, etc.).
    3. Click continue iphone download
    4. Type your phone number (if it's not already there), and click next
    5. You'll see this message:
    -----1.Download your ringtone by clicking the button below
    -----2. Open iTunes and drag your new ringtone into the Ringtones area in iTunes
    -----3. Sync your iPhone and set your ringtone. Enjoy!
    Then click download file.
    6. If you're a dedicated non-supporter of a customer skull-humping company called apple, you don't use iTunes, so just side-load (drag'n'drop) the file onto your pre using the USB cable
    +1 to Audacity, free AND legal and lets you do a ton of other stuff and your not limited to mp3. Why pay twice for things you may already own?

The only drawback is you have to have the music files to edit. In the end, with audacity, a ringtone is worth whatever price at which you value your time.
    the best sites for free ringtones are:

www.brinked.com
    www.audiko.net

both these sites are free and you can make ringtones from any audio file or youtube video. They both offer you to download n mp3 and iphone format. audiko has a more simple bare design where brinked has the same features with a sleek clean design
    Although you will find a lot of repeat tones, zedge.com has some good ones. Previewing the tones is very simple on this site also.

Simply download the ones you like to your PC/Mac, edit them if you want, then USB Drive them over to your Pre into the Ringtones folder.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by degoluce View Post
    Wow, hdhunter is one crotchety dude. One of the great benefits of these forums is being able to hook each other up with quick information. Anyway, try myxer.com. It's got tons of advertisements and some of the results you have to pay for, but navigate your way through the bs and you'll find tons of great free ringtones. And they're searchable.
    I forget that people don't see all my posts... That was intended as self-effacing humor. But I'll stand by the idea that if I can do it it can't be too hard. These forums are great for this stuff. It is where I read how to do this...I think it is actually harder to find places to pay for ringtones than it is to find places to buy them...That is if you search "free ringtones"
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Do not, do not, do not use a "free ringtones" site unless it was specifically recommended by someone you trust.

All sorts of nasty things can happen by using a "free ringtones" site, including you getting SMS spammed. Think getting off e-mailed spam lists is hard, try stopping the torrent of SMS messages.

Or the sites that have, in small print, that you're signing up for some sort of service and that you agree to a monthly charge.

Or, the site may be safe and the content legit. Which is why it's best not to simply Google "free ringtones."

I second the idea of making your own, with tools such as Audacity. Technically, you can throw any MP3 file into the Pre and use it as a ringtone. However, you likely don't want a 4 minute song, particularly when the first 10 seconds are silent. So, having a simple editor to cut down the ringtone is a good thing.

This is particularly useful when you already own a MP3 (or something you can convert to MP3) or can rip a CD. If you want something that's not readily available (like sounds, as opposed to music), then you may need to track down an audio file.