1.    #1  
    I tried to do a search but couldn't find this issue exactly. When I bought my phone to save battery life I setup my gmail account to sync "as items arrive." since that time if i received an email both my pc and pre would show me a notification of a new email. if i read it on the pre, after 5 mins or so the pc would sync with it and it'd then show as read on the pc. if i read the item on the pc the new mail notification would remain on the pre until i opened the gmail application.

fast forward to post 1.1 update and now if an email is read on my pc, after a few mins it notification goes away on the pre on it's own. there is no longer a need to open the email app to remove the notification. i opened account preferences in the email app in the pre and it's still set to "as items arrive." so what gives? did 1.1 somehow change the notifications? i mean, don't get me wrong i like this feature better than the way it was but i also don't want to waste battery juice doing it.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    You're connected to gmail via IMAP. With IMAP the e-mails are actually always stored in the server and your phone only keeps a cache. So, If you 'read' and e-mail on your phone it will automatically show as read on the server. It's how IMAP works... POP3 is different in that it downloads all your e-mails and when you 'read' the e-mail you're just marking it as read on your phone.
    Yes, but it would never push the "read" status to your Pre automatically. You always had to go into the email app and refresh your Gmail inbox.

It doesn't work for me. I had two emails marked as unread on my Pre but they were marked as read in Gmail. Then again, I've been having problems with Gmail push lately.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $checking$ $whether$ $a$ $message$ $is$ $read$ $or$ $unread$ $isn$'$t$ $really$ $part$ $of$ $the$ $IMAP$ $component$ $that$ $makes$ &$quot$;$push$&$quot$; $functionality$ $work$. $It$ $won$'$t$ $know$ $about$ $it$ $until$ $the$ $phone$ $logs$ $into$ $your$ $IMAP$ $account$ $and$ $sees$ $it$, $which$ $is$ $typically$ $only$ $when$ $a$ $new$ $message$ $comes$ $in$ $or$ $if$ $you$ $open$ $up$ $the$ $folder$ $view$.

Is it really that big of a deal? You can slide the notifications left/right off the screen if you want to ignore them.
  5.    #5  
    well here's what happened. later that day i went home and looked at my phone and it was hot and the battery level had drained from about 86% to 23% in 3-4 hours. So I shut the phone off, waited a couple of mins and then turned it back on. when it finished turning back on it said something like 0.0 successfully installed and the gmail feature has now turned off. to get it to sync again i have to open the email app.

i don't know what happened. i had installed 1.1 successfully several days earlier and had no problem.
    From the OP the way after 1.1 is the way it was supposed to work as far as I gather. I seen a number of people complain that it didn't sync the read status. I doubt it is pushing the read status one at a time but on a periodic basis like for example maybe every 15 minutes. As for the mysterious battery drain and heat issue (co-related issues) whatever that 0.0 thing you saw was more than ikely the cause of that. Sounds like something got stuck lopping or something. The heat would be from the CPU being worked too much as a result of this fluke. The email turning off is more than likely a fluke as a result of the mysterious 0.0 thing. Turn in back to whatever you had it set to and I'm willing to be all will be normal again.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I have Gmail set up with POP and changed the update to "manual." I still get email notifications and have not manually checked it yet! So I assume it is checking without me anyway...

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
  8.    #8  
    ughhhhh, so it seems to have reverted back to syncing with the email at real time. don't get me wrong, i'd prefer this route vs. opening up the email app just to get rid of the new email notification but it's KILLING my battery. why am i experiencing this problem?

i checked the other gmail sync option and it's set to 7 days.... perhaps this is causing some type of looping problem?
  9.    #9  
    if it matters my email settings in gmail are set to the default.

Under POP Download the options are all blank. (Enable POP for all mail, enable POP that arrives for mail from now on, disable POP).

Under IMAP it is set to IMAP enabled.

Would turning off IMAP solve my problem? Or what about selecting one of the POP options?
    Quote Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
    ughhhhh, so it seems to have reverted back to syncing with the email at real time. don't get me wrong, i'd prefer this route vs. opening up the email app just to get rid of the new email notification but it's KILLING my battery. why am i experiencing this problem?

i checked the other gmail sync option and it's set to 7 days.... perhaps this is causing some type of looping problem?
    You have two gmail accounts? What are they set at (show email and get email)? Anything particular happen or is being done with the pre that coincide with it reverting to as items arrive?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    You have two gmail accounts? What are they set at (show email and get email)? Anything particular happen or is being done with the pre that coincide with it reverting to as items arrive?
    no, i only have 1.

the settings in gmail are set to:

POP: enabled for all mail that has arrived since 12/04/04.

IMAP: is enabled.

I haven't messed with settings with the phone nor gmail itself to cause this syncing stuff. I've tried shutting off the phone, waiting for 10 mins and turning it back on and now it's syncing with gmail constantly. (by syncing i mean, if i get an email, i open up gmail on my pc and read/delete the email. once read/deleted the notification goes away on the pre.) in the past the notification would not go away until i opened the email app in the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
    no, i only have 1.

the settings in gmail are set to:

POP: enabled for all mail that has arrived since 12/04/04.

IMAP: is enabled.

I haven't messed with settings with the phone nor gmail itself to cause this syncing stuff. I've tried shutting off the phone, waiting for 10 mins and turning it back on and now it's syncing with gmail constantly. (by syncing i mean, if i get an email, i open up gmail on my pc and read/delete the email. once read/deleted the notification goes away on the pre.) in the past the notification would not go away until i opened the email app in the pre.
    Are you downloading pop email addresses with your gmail? I don't have that set on mine so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. The settings I was after though are the ones on the pre. I sent a test message to myself from another email address of mine and then read the email on my pc but the email notification icon didn't go away. But I didn't delete the email. However deleting it did shortly after clear the new mail icon. So it does appear to be sending the delete status to the pre. I'm not sure this at least in my opinion would be undesirable however I almost never read my email with my pc any more unless the mobile can't display it properly. But then I also don't get a lot of email only maybe a dozen at most any given day. So the issue is in your case the impact on battery. Ignoring the strange case from the other day can you detail a day in the life of your pre? so I can get an idea of all that goes on related to its use. Perhaps I'll have some tips or solution to help make things better.