1.    #1  
    After updating to WebOS 1.1 I have noticed that changing the Use GPS option in location services doesn't actually turn off the GPS. I opened up Google maps expecting to have to look for my location, instead it popped up quickly with my location. Even with the GPS off Sprint Navigation works also.
    i noticed this too when my battery life was going down more than usual...
    I noticed this as well. Did not realize that the GPS was now always on.. Hope they add the option to turn it off when apps are not using it. Or an options to have it off to save battery life.
    I noticed this and thought it was the culprit for my battery drain. When I tried to turn off both GPS and auto locate, Google Maps didn't load or at least was so slow I exit before it finished.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    It could just be triangulating your location from nearby cell towers and not actually using the gps. Just speculating.
    Last edited by monoab; 07/25/2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Typo
    1.1 hasn't changed anything for me, except that it turned the GPS on, so I had to turn it off. Now when I go to SprintNav, it tells me that GPS is off--same as before.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by monoab View Post
    It could just be triangulating your location from nearby cell towers and not actually using the gps. Just speculating.
    Using ##GPS# gives a GPS fix.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    This may seem like a silly question, but coming from WinMo, I have to ask..

Does GPS remain active despite Google Maps or Sprint Nav not being open?

My old Windows Mobile phone would leave GPS on at all times, and it impacted battery life.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I always leave GPS on, however It seems my battery is going to **** faster after the update.