1.    #1  
    Is there any decent way to manage contacts yet? I have quite a few dupes that and it would be nice to be able to swipe-gesture delete

I really don't get the point of having all our data in Palms cloud if we have no means to manage it
    I also have a question about this. When I went to get the Pre, the guy asked if there was anything on my phone that I needed off of there onto my Pre and I said, "No. Everything on my phone is in Outlook."

So, he takes my phone and hooks it up to a cable that connected to my Pre. I thought he was transferring some Sprint info or something. Turns out he did a sync with my phone.

So, I get Pocket Mirror working and sync'd with Outlook. Now I have 3 profiles for every contact in my address book!

I have a quite a few contacts and this will eat up a lot of time. I wish there was some way to do this w/o doing them one by one.

Question with the contacts. I noticed with my duplicated contacts, two of them have two blue arrows in a circle pointing at each other and the third has one green and one blue arrow doing the same.

What do these arrows signify? I don't want to delete the wrong profile.
    You need to merge the duplicates. Click on one and then "link" that contact with its duplicate. Then choose which of the merged profiles to use as the the default. Don't go all the way into "edit" ...when the contact opens just touch the top and it will let you link. Hope this helps.
    Merging the duplicates is the way to go. It's a pain the first time around, since you might have to do it for the whole list, but once it's done, it's done (unless you wipe your device, of course). After that, you might get a straggler or two here and there when a contact you already have joins Facebook or something. So just keep an eye out for that. As long as you stay on top of it, it's just a few seconds out of your day, a couple times a week, at most.

You'll find that once you do have everything merged, it's really handy. To give you an idea, I work in virtual world and game development, so most of my clients and colleagues each have a ton of different names they go by, between all their various avatar names, E-mail addresses, etc., before even getting to other things like Facebook, phone numbers, physical addresses, etc. All told I've got as many as a dozen or so listings each for a lot of my contacts. It used to be I had to do mental backflips to keep track of who was actually who. But now the Pre keeps it all sorted for me. It's been an absolute godsend.

So while I can sympathize with the fact that it might be annoying to sit there and merge three copies each for a few hundred names, I can also say three is not a lot. If it takes you all of an hour to straighten it out, you're doing it slowly. But no matter how long it takes, remember, you only have to do it once.
  5.    #5  
    The issue isnt the need for merging contacts... Its that say for instance I have 15 copies of "Advance Auto Parts" and they all only have the same phone number (no other information)... I really don't need to link 15 copies

deleting is a pain since I have several entities with multiple copies and launching each contact to delete it is way too much work... hopefully palm will add the wipe-to-delete gesture or give us access to our profiles online to manage our contacts better
    I'll agree with you that it would be great if there were more robust way to deal with issues like this. But in the here and now, merging is the fastest thing to do. In the time it would take you to delete two or three copies, you could have all 15 merged, and be done with it. It might not feel like the most ideal thing to do, as it's always more satisfying to throw away things you feel you don't need than just to put them out of sight. But given the way the Pre operates, it is the most practical use of your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    The issue isnt the need for merging contacts... Its that say for instance I have 15 copies of "Advance Auto Parts" and they all only have the same phone number (no other information)... I really don't need to link 15 copies

deleting is a pain since I have several entities with multiple copies and launching each contact to delete it is way too much work... hopefully palm will add the wipe-to-delete gesture or give us access to our profiles online to manage our contacts better
    ^This is my problem. All of the profiles are already linked, but they are three linked profiles and they are all the same! One from my old PPC, one from Outlook, and not sure about the third.

Can anyone provide any insight about the blue or blue and green arrows in a circle on each profile?
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Rebellion View Post
    ^This is my problem. All of the profiles are already linked, but they are three linked profiles and they are all the same! One from my old PPC, one from Outlook, and not sure about the third.
    Beside the fact that it might not feel quite right, in principle, to have multiple redundant entries present, how is it a problem, as long as they're merged? It's not like they take up enough memory to make any noticeable dent in your Pre's capacity, and you certainly won't waste any extra time thumbing through them.

There is a wisdom in this, you know. I realize you said the multiples are all the same, but imagine if there had been any slight differences. Say, perhaps you had included the home address of a person in one entry, and the work address in another. In that case it would make perfect sense that both should be included.

Look, your Pre doesn't care that the entries happen to contain identical information. What it cares about is the fact that they came from multiple sources. It does everything it can to preserve the integrity of each one, as related to its individual source. That way, if you ever want to separate them back out again, you can.

This new paradigm may feel uncomfortable, again in principle, since we're all used to the old "sync at every turn" way of thinking. But if you take a step back, and really look at it, merging is totally non-destructive, while syncing and replacing is potentially destructive. Therefore, the preservation-based approach the Pre takes is much more sensible than the old ways. It just requires a bit of adjustment in our thinking about what it means to manage data.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Rebellion View Post
    Can anyone provide any insight about the blue or blue and green arrows in a circle on each profile?
    How about a screenshot?

My guess is the symbols are icons representing where each entry came from. For me, next to any contact entry that came from Google, I've got Google's little "g" icon, next to any that came from Facebook, I've got Facebook's "F" icon, and any that are only in my Palm profile get two little swirling blue arrows. My guess is one of the symbols means the contact came from Outlook/PocketMirror, and the other one means it came it from your old phone.

Take a look at your Preferences & Accounts page in your Contacts app. I'm guessing you'll see a couple of accounts listed there, with those symbols next to them.