1.    #1  
    Just thought of this. It would be cool if someone could make an app where you could make a folder and put your App shortcuts into the folder, so your launcher isn't so cluttered. I'd do it myself, but I'm clueless when it comes to that lol.

Like there's a little folder icon, tap it, and you put icons into it. I download a lot of Homebrew apps, so I'd use it to store my homebrew apps.

Not sure if this is even possible, but just an idea
    Once they allow for additional launcher pages, clutter won't be an issue. Instead of a folders to open, you'll have pages to flick to. It's basically the same concept, just a slightly different metaphor.

Official support for launcher customization isn't here yet, but you can add more pages now, if you root your Pre, and uncomment a couple of lines of code.

Click here to learn how to root your Pre.

Click here to learn how to enable adding/deleting of launcher pages.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    Once they allow for additional launcher pages, clutter won't be an issue. Instead of a folders to open, you'll have pages to flick to. It's basically the same concept, just a slightly different metaphor.
    I'd have to disagree. Having additional launcher pages would be nice but the idea of having to flick to page 9 as opposed to having categories or folders that are 1-2 clicks away doesn't sound very inviting! I rather have Catagories/Folders on my first page (mixed with programs of course) that I can click through rather then flick x times looking for the launcher page that happens to have my program - expecially if I have to scroll then on each page to see more!

Just my $.02
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrducklumps1 View Post
    Just thought of this. It would be cool if someone could make an app where you could make a folder and put your App shortcuts into the folder, so your launcher isn't so cluttered. I'd do it myself, but I'm clueless when it comes to that lol.

Like there's a little folder icon, tap it, and you put icons into it. I download a lot of Homebrew apps, so I'd use it to store my homebrew apps.

Not sure if this is even possible, but just an idea
    yuck....sounds like an ex-BB user.....
    i always hated folders on the blackberry interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

While it's obvious what your personal preference is... why limit options?

Maybe an icon on any launch page you want that jumps or slides you to a launch page defined by that icon. (kind of like a folder)

Ability to personally label/tag launch pages and incorporate that into universal search.

options options options!!!

Different methods of organization work differently for different people.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I agree with Folders. I love Folders as I am not very organized and a page with, say 12 folders representing 12 different sets of apps would really help me.

Also, Nested Folders. Anyone here old enough to remember when Windows added Nested Folders? I am, and it rocked!

Ooops, in the vernacular of that time, it was groovy...
    To me, it's all the same. A Page IS a folder, as far as I'm concerned. The only difference is whether you swipe to it or click on it, which is trivial.

WhoAmI, I get your point about not wanting to flick through nine pages to get to the one you want, but the same could be said about not wanting to open multiple levels of sub-folders to get to what you want. It's arguable that folders are a more compact management system in the short term, but once you've got enough stuff in them, they really don't scale any better than pages do. And even that short-term advantage can be matched by pages, if you add in the ability to label them, and put a "Jump To..." option in the top menu. At that point, there would be really no difference at all, except for cosmetics.

For whatever it's worth, I think I prefer pages simply because they feel a little different from using a PC. It's a small thing, but sometimes little differences can be refreshing. There's something pleasing about swiping, rather than clicking or tapping. I'm not sure how to define it, but it's there.

But as I said, when it really comes down to it, it doesn't matter to me whether the graphical metaphor is a page or a folder. As long as I can keep my stuff sorted, it's all good.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    Nope, never owned a BB in my life. I had no idea that they had folders to be honest :P
    ------
    ~Sam

Crappy generic phone > Another crappy generic phone > Treo 700w > Palm Pre
  9.    #9  
    Well I completely forgot about this thread, it got lost in my posts :P
    I got Preware on my pre, so now I have pages, and i have 5x4 icons, so that makes it easier. I'd still enjoy folders though. I guess we'll have to wait and see if something happens with this.
    ------
    ~Sam

Crappy generic phone > Another crappy generic phone > Treo 700w > Palm Pre