Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. snafu2dj's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by trellus View Post
    ...if they just locked down access to the email or relevant data (calendar, etc.) WHEN you attempted to access THAT data that is required to be protected due to Exchange policies.

    I am one of the people that got surprised by the 1.2 update and the sudden enforcement of the PIN. I don't have a problem with requiring a PIN (I could lobby our guys here if so, because we're a small company), but it seems dumb to:

    1. Lock the entire dang phone (REALLY annoying as I get frequent texts, work-related notifications, often) and not just the EAS-protected account data (emails, calendar, etc.)

    2. That it require PIN entry for EVERY access to the phone -- how about once every 24 hours? Every hour? Every 30 minutes? Hello?

    I hated it so much I just deleted my work stuff off of my phone and am going back to my old way of having Exchange forward relevant work emails to my personal email account which works just fine on IMAP with the Pre.

    It's a smartphone, for Pete's sake -- meaning, I use it frequently throughout the day, to look up something in Wikipedia, to update my Twitter ... to compose emails, to enter data into my check register, etc -- I am not dealing with a PIN unlock every time, especially when it's slow and unresponsive as it often is -- frequently, I would have to use the keyboard (pull down slider) because the screen's keypad was turtle slow or didn't catch my input at all.
    At least you only have to deal with a PIN... Mine is forcing me to use an alphanumeric PASSWORD, so I have to type a combination of buttons (such as letters, then option, then numbers, BLAH...) Until this darned update, I had no problem. Never needed any password/PIN.

    And what really gets me peeved... Is that everyone here (at my work) who has Blackberries (using Blackberry Enterprise) DOES NOT have to enter any type of password/PIN at all, EVER. So why is it that I have to enter one (every single time I pick up my Pre) using EAS??? I'm about ready to goto Blackberry and try out that Tour if Palm/Sprint can't get this taken care of ASAP! This is hands down my biggest issue with this phone. I loved my Pre until about 3 days ago other than some texting issues with copy/paste and forwarding (that btw, they still haven't fixed even with all the feedback)...
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by snafu2dj View Post
    Well that would just make to much sense...

    For the time being, I have removed my EAS account from my phone (which really sucks btw) and have to be near my computer all day long... BLAH!!! I don't see how this makes anything more secure. Is the entire point of this lock mainly so if someone else finds, steals, grabs, picks up, etc your phone, then they can't access your "sensitve/confidential" work email and see that info???

    And yes, I have heard that there are ways to go back (downgrade) to 1.1, but I'm not sure how. I guess that Web OS Doctor is one option, but now the new post on the homepage of this site recommends that we keep the update due to the security flaws fixed now in 1.2. Either way, this is a rediculous way to be "synced". Isn't the point of the Pre supposed to be the simplified nature of this beast, i.e. synergy, syncing your entire life, contacts, emails, appointments, etc??? I thought this phone is supposed to make everything easier. I'm still within my 30 days and I'm seriously considering taking it back and going back to my Treo 755p. I will miss the GPS Apps though. Maybe I'll wait and see what else comes out. The Hero is due any day now... Just a thought. Or is there still hope coming for this Pre EAS nonsense anytime really soon?

    And Btw... You still can't copy/paste text messages or forward them either with this new update. How annoying.
    The PIN policy was designed to protect company assets and data, which at the time of EAS's conception (and in many cases) was meant to include the actual hardware as well. Also, just password enforcing the email may not completely protect the data, especially if you download an attachment or use the phone for business calls. Once the pre get's a file explorer, you will probably be able to find the default area where the emails are stored. A PIN on the email application GUI wouldnt help much there.

    Quote Originally Posted by trellus View Post
    ...if they just locked down access to the email or relevant data (calendar, etc.) WHEN you attempted to access THAT data that is required to be protected due to Exchange policies.

    I am one of the people that got surprised by the 1.2 update and the sudden enforcement of the PIN. I don't have a problem with requiring a PIN (I could lobby our guys here if so, because we're a small company), but it seems dumb to:

    1. Lock the entire dang phone (REALLY annoying as I get frequent texts, work-related notifications, often) and not just the EAS-protected account data (emails, calendar, etc.)

    2. That it require PIN entry for EVERY access to the phone -- how about once every 24 hours? Every hour? Every 30 minutes? Hello?

    I hated it so much I just deleted my work stuff off of my phone and am going back to my old way of having Exchange forward relevant work emails to my personal email account which works just fine on IMAP with the Pre.

    It's a smartphone, for Pete's sake -- meaning, I use it frequently throughout the day, to look up something in Wikipedia, to update my Twitter ... to compose emails, to enter data into my check register, etc -- I am not dealing with a PIN unlock every time, especially when it's slow and unresponsive as it often is -- frequently, I would have to use the keyboard (pull down slider) because the screen's keypad was turtle slow or didn't catch my input at all.
    You make a valid point about the delayed PIN enforcement, but as I had stated earlier, this is how every other device that connects to EAS works, and in fact is how the PIN/Password policy is set on the server (you set the timeout in minutes or hours).

    Quote Originally Posted by snafu2dj View Post
    At least you only have to deal with a PIN... Mine is forcing me to use an alphanumeric PASSWORD, so I have to type a combination of buttons (such as letters, then option, then numbers, BLAH...) Until this darned update, I had no problem. Never needed any password/PIN.

    And what really gets me peeved... Is that everyone here (at my work) who has Blackberries (using Blackberry Enterprise) DOES NOT have to enter any type of password/PIN at all, EVER. So why is it that I have to enter one (every single time I pick up my Pre) using EAS??? I'm about ready to goto Blackberry and try out that Tour if Palm/Sprint can't get this taken care of ASAP! This is hands down my biggest issue with this phone. I loved my Pre until about 3 days ago other than some texting issues with copy/paste and forwarding (that btw, they still haven't fixed even with all the feedback)...
    This is because your IT department sucks and didn't uniformly impose policies. It is not an technological advantage/disadvantage. The Blackberry's have the same ability to be locked after a timeout, but it's not enforced from the Exchange Server (and, in fact, the Exchange Server has no idea of the Blackberry handset's existence. It only has a connection to the BES). You may be able to use this in your argument to turn off the locking feature on Exchange.
  3. #43  
    +1, I can't wait for this issue to be resolved this is completely stupid that I have to enter a PIN on MY phone everytime it locks just because I have an EAS account linked to it, I'd have no problem entering a PIN to access just the EAS account, but to access my phone to reply to a text message... come on!!!!!
  4. #44  
    This can be fixed on the mail server itself, login and open the exchange system manager, then expand global settings, go into properties of mobile services, then to Device security, then into exceptions. Add yourself into the list. Remove your exchange account from the pre, reboot the pre.
    Then remove the Simple pin (lock), and finally re-add the Exchange account.
  5. #45  
    Until I become the CEO of my company, I am with the rest of us in saying we need a fix on Palms end, I can only imagine its possible for the same acct. on my treo did have a idle lock out not a everytime i want to twit, or update a FB status or goto my calander LOCK !!
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by sheff121 View Post
    This can be fixed on the mail server itself, login and open the exchange system manager, then expand global settings, go into properties of mobile services, then to Device security, then into exceptions. Add yourself into the list. Remove your exchange account from the pre, reboot the pre.
    Then remove the Simple pin (lock), and finally re-add the Exchange account.

    How do you open Exchange system manager for Windows XP?
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by sheff121 View Post
    This can be fixed on the mail server itself, login and open the exchange system manager, then expand global settings, go into properties of mobile services, then to Device security, then into exceptions. Add yourself into the list. Remove your exchange account from the pre, reboot the pre.
    Then remove the Simple pin (lock), and finally re-add the Exchange account.
    My IT guy loves me!!! I sent him the link to this thread and asked him to please consider putting my account into exceptions. After reading through this, especially regarding Blackberry and Iphones not being subjected to the pin, he changed my acccount. I followed the instructions regarding removing the account, rebooting and readding, and TA DA.....the pin is gone. Even if you work for a big company, I would suggest shooting your IT dept an email with this link attached. The worse that can happen is that they say no. I am once again thrilled with my phone!
  8. #48  
    yeah, I'm an it guy too, I had to find a solution, I hated it.
  9. beaker77's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #49  
    Still no solution to this? I love my Pre but this is driving me crazy.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    How do you open Exchange system manager for Windows XP?
    you cant, this has to be done on the exchange server.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions