Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Alright... So I have removed the EAS account. It worked no problem. As soon as I went back to the Screen & Lock settings, it showed a little pad lock next to the drop down and voila... the drop down was now available, so needless to say I turned it back to off. I went to try and re-add my work EAS account via the email accounts & preferences to see what would happen now. I did just as I have previously. I entered email address, secure incoming server, left domain blank, added username, password, and then clicked on "Sign In." Now this is the window on the bottom half of the screen that showed up...

"Phone Password Required" (title of window)
    To access this account you must turn on secure unlock and set a password. (text under title)
    Cancel Sign In (clickable button)
    Set Password (clickable button)

The funny part is that before the update, I never had any issue at all whatsoever with needing a password. I got the phone about a week ago and figured out on my own what I needed to enter to set it up after much trial and error. I have now since helped 2 other coworkers with Pre's to do the same thing with their work email/Outlook. To my knowledge, all of my coworkers use company issued Blackberrys (the ones that get company issued phones anyway) to get their work email and use the Blackberry exchange. No one else seems to have bothered trying to sync their own phones or ever knew how. That's why I helped my other 2 friends to do it. My boss knows and doesn't mind at all. We don't have much for an IT dept or even an IT guy. The one we do have is not so nice and told me that my Pre would NOT be able to do EAS and that the company only supports access by company issued Blackberrys. But... somehow I figured it out on my own accord.

My 2 other friends with Pre's (here at work) still have the same access that I did before yesterday (no password needed), when I did the download and install of the update. They obviously haven't done the update yet. So to me it seems that now this upgrade is making it a huge pain in the *** to do EAS when that was supposed to be one of the huge benefits of this phone. THIS SUCKS!!!

Any thoughts???

Last edited by snafu2dj; 09/30/2009 at 09:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Also, I'm not sure as to how to do that patch or whatever it is. I don't know how to find or where to look for...

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/app/controllers/securityconfig-assistant.jsjsjs

I also looked at these instructions...

Patch WebOS Bypassing Lock Screen - WebOS Internals

I don't know how to do that either. I guess I'm too new at this. Where do you find these lines and how do you edit them?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by snafu2dj View Post
    Also, I'm not sure as to how to do that patch or whatever it is. I don't know how to find or where to look for...

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/app/controllers/securityconfig-assistant.jsjsjs

I also looked at these instructions...

Patch WebOS Bypassing Lock Screen - WebOS Internals

I don't know how to do that either. I guess I'm too new at this. Where do you find these lines and how do you edit them?
    You probably don't want to mess around with that until the community comes out with a patch. You can probably find more out in the thread related to the PIN bypass (I have no experience with it).
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    No I am not. Exchange 2003. Was the Pre not accepting the PIN enforcement with 2007/2010 deployments in 1.1?
    Not sure about 2007 - I have been on 2010 for some time, and it did not take the EAS policies until 1.2. Interesting
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmeltzer View Post
    Not sure about 2007 - I have been on 2010 for some time, and it did not take the EAS policies until 1.2. Interesting
    I heard of some differences with the Pre's interaction when the mailbox was on Exchange 2007 and or 2010, but since I'm running 2003 (and at home at that - it's not even important) I hadn't really paid attention. Has device management gotten any better in 2010?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Alright... So I have removed the EAS account. It worked no problem. As soon as I went back to the Screen & Lock settings, it showed a little pad lock next to the drop down and voila... the drop down was now available, so needless to say I turned it back to off. I went to try and re-add my work EAS account via the email accounts & preferences to see what would happen now. I did just as I have previously. I entered email address, secure incoming server, left domain blank, added username, password, and then clicked on "Sign In." Now this is the window on the bottom half of the screen that showed up...

"Phone Password Required" (title of window)
    To access this account you must turn on secure unlock and set a password. (text under title)
    Cancel Sign In (clickable button)
    Set Password (clickable button)

The funny part is that before the update, I never had any issue at all whatsoever with needing a password. I got the phone about a week ago and figured out on my own what I needed to enter to set it up after much trial and error. I have now since helped 2 other coworkers with Pre's to do the same thing with their work email/Outlook. To my knowledge, all of my coworkers use company issued Blackberrys (the ones that get company issued phones anyway) to get their work email and use the Blackberry exchange. No one else seems to have bothered trying to sync their own phones or ever knew how. That's why I helped my other 2 friends to do it. My boss knows and doesn't mind at all. We don't have much for an IT dept or even an IT guy. The one we do have is not so nice and told me that my Pre would NOT be able to do EAS and that the company only supports access by company issued Blackberrys. But... somehow I figured it out on my own accord.

My 2 other friends with Pre's (here at work) still have the same access that I did before yesterday (no password needed), when I did the download and install of the update. They obviously haven't done the update yet. So to me it seems that now this upgrade is making it a huge pain in the *** to do EAS when that was supposed to be one of the huge benefits of this phone. THIS SUCKS!!!

Any thoughts???

Since this is only an issue only now that the 1.2 update has been installed on my phone (I never needed any type of password previously with my EAS), can't something in the new code for 1.2 just be deleted since it has been apparently added in the new update???
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I heard of some differences with the Pre's interaction when the mailbox was on Exchange 2007 and or 2010, but since I'm running 2003 (and at home at that - it's not even important) I hadn't really paid attention. Has device management gotten any better in 2010?
    Yes, but not significantly so for the Pre. For WinMo devices, there are a lot more controls in 2010 (and with WinMo 6.1/6.5).
    I say there will be a tweak or update to correct our concerns. It is horrible that my phone locks as much as it does.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    The 3 min limit is a pain. Not to mention the not differentiating between screen lock out and device lock out.

I'm slowly wanting to go back to WinMo...
  10.    #30  
    Since this is only an issue only now that the 1.2 update has been installed on my phone (I never needed any type of password previously with my EAS), can't something in the new code for 1.2 just be deleted since it has been apparently added in the new update???
    I doubt it's going to be as easy as modifying one or two files. These were likely changes within the EAS protocol and how the Pre interacts with the server. Honestly, if you have PIN enforcement it's just because your Pre works as it should have from day one. Now Palm just needs to get the device security to work as it should have on day one.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmeltzer View Post
    Yes, but not significantly so for the Pre. For WinMo devices, there are a lot more controls in 2010 (and with WinMo 6.1/6.5).
    I read a bit about the outlook mobile experience on 6.1 with exchange 2007 and was pretty impressed. I think Windows Mobile and Exchange is quickly becoming the best platform for a mobile email experience. Makes me miss my Touch Pro a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ChriSeeger View Post
    I say there will be a tweak or update to correct our concerns. It is horrible that my phone locks as much as it does.
    There has to be an update that brings WebOS's device lock feature up to par with every other device out there. I just hope it's soon.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I read a bit about the outlook mobile experience on 6.1 with exchange 2007 and was pretty impressed. I think Windows Mobile and Exchange is quickly becoming the best platform for a mobile email experience. Makes me miss my Touch Pro a lot.
    If only MS would do something about the awful UI. Even 6.5 doesn't fix it.
    I agree - which is why I wanted to get rid of the PIN policy in the first place, and my phone got stuck on it. I don't know of any other EAS capable device that suffers from locking immediately when the screen times out.
    Def. agree with you both, this is a must have tweak and or Palm fix. My treo locked during every like 30 minutes of inactivity. And that wasnt very often with how I use my cell. This new lock on the palm is horrible. And I cant not have work email on my cell,
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPalm View Post
    Def. agree with you both, this is a must have tweak and or Palm fix. My treo locked during every like 30 minutes of inactivity. And that wasnt very often with how I use my cell. This new lock on the palm is horrible. And I cant not have work email on my cell,
    I agree with you completely! Is this just my experience that this lock is only happening since the install of the 1.2 update??? Has anyone else been syncing with no problems, locks, or a password/PIN until the update??? It seems as though this has been an ongoing issue for many people for a long time, even before the update. I'm looking for help on this issue initiating post 1.2 install. Is there any way to undo the update???

Previously, it just started to sync when I hit "Sign In." I cannot possibly have to enter an alpha numeric password (not PIN) each and every time my display goes off, but I absolutely need my work email/appts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You can try to remove the acct. but if you are like me you need the acct. there. The account auto enables this feature. I heard issues of removing it anyway. WebOsDoctor will wipe you clean but you just need to be sure to remove the work acct. calling forth the simple PIN lock. It def is a upgrade cause, for the previous version palm had was flawed and enabled us to use our work email semi-unprotected. Well they fixed it but overdid how often it locks, unlike on treo's etc. ... There needs to be a idle lock feature not just a lock everytime you put your phone down feature.
    I agree with you completely! Is this just my experience that this lock is only happening since the install of the 1.2 update??? Has anyone else been syncing with no problems, locks, or a password/PIN until the update??? It seems as though this has been an ongoing issue for many people for a long time, even before the update. I'm looking for help on this issue initiating post 1.2 install. Is there any way to undo the update???

Previously, it just started to sync when I hit "Sign In." I cannot possibly have to enter an alpha numeric password (not PIN) each and every time my display goes off, but I absolutely need my work email/appts.
    To sum it up, you and me are screwed until the amazing people on this site create a Tweak to fix it, or maybe in 5 months palm will get around to fixing it lol love ya palm developers, Maybe we will get access to the Navy now
    wow they killed my navy joke because i metioned obbam8 as having a securied blackberry less protected then our new pre's with upgrades. thats no fun. I hope this one go's threw so my joke is a sucess.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPalm View Post
    You can try to remove the acct. but if you are like me you need the acct. there. The account auto enables this feature. I heard issues of removing it anyway. WebOsDoctor will wipe you clean but you just need to be sure to remove the work acct. calling forth the simple PIN lock. It def is a upgrade cause, for the previous version palm had was flawed and enabled us to use our work email semi-unprotected. Well they fixed it but overdid how often it locks, unlike on treo's etc. ... There needs to be a idle lock feature not just a lock everytime you put your phone down feature.
    snafu2dj, I'm wondering if maybe you could get a copy of the old WebOSDoctor that would restore 1.1 to temporarily solve your problem. It would restore your phone to factory defaults, but if you could also disable updates (via a hack) you could stay on 1.1 for a while.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Wouldn't it make more sense if they moved the pin to just lock down the particular exchange account instead of the whole phone? Why should the use of my entire phone be dictated by one email account on it? I don't get it.

They should have the PIN code pop up when you want to access that email account only.

You think programmers would think more logically.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jthapar View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense if they moved the pin to just lock down the particular exchange account instead of the whole phone? Why should the use of my entire phone be dictated by one email account on it? I don't get it.

They should have the PIN code pop up when you want to access that email account only.

You think programmers would think more logically.
    Well that would just make to much sense...

For the time being, I have removed my EAS account from my phone (which really sucks btw) and have to be near my computer all day long... BLAH!!! I don't see how this makes anything more secure. Is the entire point of this lock mainly so if someone else finds, steals, grabs, picks up, etc your phone, then they can't access your "sensitve/confidential" work email and see that info???

And yes, I have heard that there are ways to go back (downgrade) to 1.1, but I'm not sure how. I guess that Web OS Doctor is one option, but now the new post on the homepage of this site recommends that we keep the update due to the security flaws fixed now in 1.2. Either way, this is a rediculous way to be "synced". Isn't the point of the Pre supposed to be the simplified nature of this beast, i.e. synergy, syncing your entire life, contacts, emails, appointments, etc??? I thought this phone is supposed to make everything easier. I'm still within my 30 days and I'm seriously considering taking it back and going back to my Treo 755p. I will miss the GPS Apps though. Maybe I'll wait and see what else comes out. The Hero is due any day now... Just a thought. Or is there still hope coming for this Pre EAS nonsense anytime really soon?

And Btw... You still can't copy/paste text messages or forward them either with this new update. How annoying.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    ...if they just locked down access to the email or relevant data (calendar, etc.) WHEN you attempted to access THAT data that is required to be protected due to Exchange policies.

I am one of the people that got surprised by the 1.2 update and the sudden enforcement of the PIN. I don't have a problem with requiring a PIN (I could lobby our guys here if so, because we're a small company), but it seems dumb to:

1. Lock the entire dang phone (REALLY annoying as I get frequent texts, work-related notifications, often) and not just the EAS-protected account data (emails, calendar, etc.)

2. That it require PIN entry for EVERY access to the phone -- how about once every 24 hours? Every hour? Every 30 minutes? Hello?

I hated it so much I just deleted my work stuff off of my phone and am going back to my old way of having Exchange forward relevant work emails to my personal email account which works just fine on IMAP with the Pre.

It's a smartphone, for Pete's sake -- meaning, I use it frequently throughout the day, to look up something in Wikipedia, to update my Twitter ... to compose emails, to enter data into my check register, etc -- I am not dealing with a PIN unlock every time, especially when it's slow and unresponsive as it often is -- frequently, I would have to use the keyboard (pull down slider) because the screen's keypad was turtle slow or didn't catch my input at all.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast