Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. yiffzer's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
       #1  
    Did anyone notice that with the new WebOS 1.1 update, Google Maps is now more accurate with pinpointing your location? Previously, I was pinpointed 2 miles away. Now I am pinpointed just 500 feet away. I say this is very good.

    Can anyone post their experience with this?
    Last edited by yiffzer; 07/23/2009 at 10:29 PM.
  2. RickNY's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    Did anyone notice that with the new WebOS 1.1 update, Google Maps is now more accurate with pinpointing your location? Previously, I was pinpointed 2 miles away. Now I am pinpointed just 500 feet away. I say this is very good.

    Can anyone post their experience with this?
    Probably because when you checked before, you were not outdoors and Google Maps couldnt get a fix from the GPS -- and thus resorted to triangulation.

    Has nothing to do with the update -- its always been like that
  3. yiffzer's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
       #3  
    Eh, I was in the apartment when I did this. I even tried again and again in or out and I always ended up in the same location. For the first time ever, it accurately pinpointed where I am.
  4. WAMS's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    #4  
    my google map is still the same, im in my kitchen (rear of my house) zoom in im actually in my back yard.....i would say within 30 feet!! worked the same before the up date!
    The Wams
  5. #5  
    It used to be way off for me and then updated after a minute to the right location. Now it picks it right up when the app loads. I don't think this is google apps specifically, but the GPS on the phone in general.
  6. zna03's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #6  
    Still way off on mine...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    Still way off on mine...
    Have you tried it outdoors? If you are inside its probably triangulating using cellphone towers and if there just aren't that many it can't do that good of a job. I used to have to give it a minute, then hit the blue dot again and it would pick it up.
  8. zna03's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    Have you tried it outdoors? If you are inside its probably triangulating using cellphone towers and if there just aren't that many it can't do that good of a job. I used to have to give it a minute, then hit the blue dot again and it would pick it up.
    Ya know I was thinking about that... i'm inside right now and theres a bad storm out.... i'll give it a shot later, because in my apartment it's spot on to probably 10 feet. Thanked ya
  9. #9  
    For those that are reporting it being way off, are you sure its not because you haven't double tapped to zoom in?

    The first time I went to GMaps, I thought it was off too - then I realised that the initial view isn't a zoomed in one, and if I just kept double tapping, it would keep zooming in and show me my exact location.
  10. #10  
    My google maps is not working at all. A few of us are having the same problem that is discussed in the main Palm Pre forum. I can't post links to the thread but it's near the top of the list on that forum.
  11. zna03's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    For those that are reporting it being way off, are you sure its not because you haven't double tapped to zoom in?

    The first time I went to GMaps, I thought it was off too - then I realised that the initial view isn't a zoomed in one, and if I just kept double tapping, it would keep zooming in and show me my exact location.
    Although I think we resolved my issue, in response to your post it showed me in someones home about half a mile away.
  12. bbkat's Avatar
    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    #12  
    Can anyone compare Pre's Google map traffic in 1.1 to the PC version? I use it all the time for my daily commute from Ventura county to Redondo Beach and there's always a big difference. The Pre typically showing less congestion and turns out to be less accurate so I rely more on my PC.

Posting Permissions