Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or posted about it so here I go.

I was downloading some homebrew apps, and noticed that some were not downloading...long story short...the app launcher maxes out at something like 88 apps.

Is there a way to increase this as I don't want to have to keep deleting/downloading apps everytime I want something different.

Thanks!
    I had the same issue tonight but don't know it is the number of apps or a single app causing the problem. I deleted some and was able to install more but the first time it happened I had deleted Chess then attempted to install a new version.
    hopefully the next update will solve this
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    I had the same issue tonight but don't know it is the number of apps or a single app causing the problem. I deleted some and was able to install more but the first time it happened I had deleted Chess then attempted to install a new version.

I thought the same thing at first BUT...it was on the new version of the Craps game and then 5-in-a-Row game. neither was the problem after about 10min of testing it kept maxing out when i got to that number of apps. The exact number of apps (or at least icons) in the app launcher for me = 87. this number includes all the MFR laoded stuff like device info, help etc.
    So in device info i have 56 downloaded apps, and 35 built-in apps = 91 from the software menu in device info.

Background from my pre - WebOS 1.0.4 with 5.8gb free space.

Not sure what the problem is...seems like an odd number 87 or 91 to stop at for maximum apps.
    I believe I remember reading on here that while the apps don't show up on the launcher (after whatever number), you can still type in the app name with universal search and it will come up.

Also, some that have rooted their Pre made some changes to the launcher and increased the number of pages available in the launcher, not sure if that means they can display more.

I would have searched for you to provide link, but I'm in a bit of a rush.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    I believe I remember reading on here that while the apps don't show up on the launcher (after whatever number), you can still type in the app name with universal search and it will come up.

Also, some that have rooted their Pre made some changes to the launcher and increased the number of pages available in the launcher, not sure if that means they can display more.

I would have searched for you to provide link, but I'm in a bit of a rush.

TRUE....that could be...will have to try it.

BUT...eventhough it doesn't show up in the launcher, under device info and software it should still show it as an item and the version like the rest...correct?

Weird.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    thats not good im sure they will fix it though
    Are you sure about this? I know I had 89 apps loaded and visible before I deleted PrePackage, so I now have 88 - no issues I can see.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I have had this problem and posted about it in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...lp-please.html

It is also discussed in posts #392 and 393 in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ll-method.html

If you find you can add more homebrew apps only after deleting some homebrew apps, then you have this problem. I have only been able to install 30-32 homebrew apps as a result (deleting app catalog apps doesn't seem to help). In this thread someone was looking at repartitioning the location where homebrew installs and doing some linux programming/rooting stuff (over my head) to fix the problem: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...gh-memory.html

I have seen posts about this problem in multiple different threads here, but it does not seem to have gotten a whole lot of attention (yet). Hopefully someone can come up with a solution to this problem soon. Sounds like changing the directory into which homebrew apps install may be necessary.

EDIT: After having the above-mentioned problems with homebrew apps for the last 3 days, I was just able to install 2 out of 3 additional apps tonight without deleting anything. The last app wouldn't install at first, but after persistently trying 4 times, it suddenly decided to appear in my launcher. After the first 3 attempts, when it was not visible in the launcher, it did not come up on a universal search or on the Pre's software list.

I have no idea why apps are suddenly installing again, as I have made no changes to my Pre recently. ???

EDIT #2: OK, I seem to have maxed out again but this time at 37 homebrew apps and not 31-32. I failed to mention that while no error message seems to appear in the PreBrew install window, a "FAILED_NOT_ENOUGH_INSTALL_SPACE" error appears during the old fashioned palm-install.bat method.
    Last edited by DrNoah; 07/22/2009 at 09:56 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Not sure why they would do something stupid like making a partition for apps...especially when you only have 8GB. They should just allow the full 7.2GB or whatever is left after the OS install to be filled however you like.

But thanks for finding those posts and now it all makes some sense...not good sense...but sense none-the-less.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    88? that's still a **** ton of applications man. lol.
    I can confirm that I am limited to 87 cards (apps and website cards).

BLiip
    ugh..i hope palm fixes this asap!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm only at about 70 with no issues...... but just curious has anyone tried adding more pages to the launcher or are you guys maxing out at 3 pages???
  15.    #15  
    The launcher maxes out at three. Im sure you can add more if you root your pre, but as far as NR Pres you can only have 3 unfortunately.
    That's a ton of apps you probably hardly ever will use...i mean 88??
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I always had apps on my treo that I may not have used more than once or twice. I still liked having those apps on the phone just in case I needed or wanted to use them. Sometimes it was not me that was looking for the use that the app may have offered.
    To Honor With Dignity- USAF Honor Guard
    The problem may not be with actual number of apps installed, but with the amount of disk space used by the apps. The Palm Pre's HD is configured with three partitions:

1) /dev/mmcblk0p1 defined as a Linux/PA-RISC boot partition is only 4MB
    2) /dev/mmcblk0p2 defined as Linux partition and is 32MB mounted as /boot
    3) /dev/mmcblk0p3 defined as a Linux LVM partition is 7.62GB

The /dev/mmcblk0p3 partition is a Linux Volume Group that is sliced into six Logical Volumes:

/dev/store/root mounted on / (root) 456 MB
    /dev/store/var mounted on /var 256MB
    /dev/store/update mounts on /var/lib/update 56MB (not mounted)
    /dev/store/log/ mounted on /var/log 40MB
    /dev/store/media mounted /media/internal 6.69GB
    /dev/store/swap linux swap 128MB

It appears that if /var or / (root) usage is greater than or equal to 90% than the FAILED_NOT_ENOUGH_INSTALL_SPACE error is generated. "Builtin" applications reside in /usr/palm/applications. Downloaded apps and those installed with palm-install reside in /var/usr/palm/applications. Also for rooted Pre's some linux-based apps are stored in /var/opt.

One fix for a rooted Pre is to create a virtual linux filesystem using a portion of the space allocated to //media/internal using a procedure similar to this one:

Linux Online - Using a file instead of a partition

Then use it on /opt vs binding /var/opt to /opt. Of course moving everything under /var/opt to the new virtual filesystem.

NOTE: The /dev/store/update is mounted when you run the Update process. It would seem that the updates are stored here (at least some of them) prior to installation.
    Last edited by 1lnxraider; 07/25/2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: New info
    I just ran into this problem as well. I think one of the reasons it's not showing up in the forums very much is because you can't search for "FAILED_NOT_ENOUGH_INSTALL_SPACE" through the forum search engine. I had to go to Google to find the thread here!
    If app catalog apps are stored in a separate folder, why am I now also getting a "not enough memory" message when I try to download some apps from the catalog? Also app updates are not downloading, with an "install failed" message. I deleted some homebrew apps and I'm still getting the error messages from the app catalog.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast