Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone have any idea why with sprint we cant receive an animated gif as a picture message?
    Well, we can receive them I guess, just cant view the animation.
    Any thought son this guys?
    This is extremely annoying IMO.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I am not sure if it has anything to do with Sprint itself but it is a known issue with the Palm Pre. They'd need to fix this through an update.
  3.    #3  
    Does anyone know if this is an issue with sprint?
    I know my Instinct phone was not able to accept animated gifs either.
    Anyone ever have a sprint phone that can accept animated picture messages?
    What about animated wallpaper?....that's would be so cool..
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    It has nothing to do with Sprint. It has to do with Palm. Animated .GIFs worked on the Treo and Centro but not Pre. Ask Palm to add support for animated .GIFs.
    sorry no can doo
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    not sure i have owned about 10 dif phones from sprint and none did gif's. dang phones.
    the blackberry pearl did gif on sprint.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    It has nothing to do with Sprint. It has to do with Palm. Animated .GIFs worked on the Treo and Centro but not Pre. Ask Palm to add support for animated .GIFs.
    It's already in the Pre! The homebrew weather app displays animated .GIF files from a government web site, and they work fine. You can't open the same image links in the browser and see the animations, though.....
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    From what I've read, it is a problem with Web Kit. iPhone has the same problem.

Hopefully someone write an extension to Web Kit that supports animated gif.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I was wondering the same thing about animated GIF'S. My last phone which was a htc touch supported GiF'S. Palm needs to get some updates out in a hurry so we can enjoy our phones more.
    This has been killing me! I've bookmarked a link to a current radar animated GIF in my Treo(s) for years. When I briefly had the iPhone (and then the iPhone 3G for that matter) I was terrified to see that the webkit based browser would only display the 1st frame of the GIF. Of course with the radar, the 1st frame is the oldest and least useful. I was pretty upset to see the Palm browser does the same. I don't think this is best classified as a "bug", but definitely something I would like to see the browser support with a future update. Message Palm and vote for this feature!
  13.    #13  
    Any update on this, or a workaround.
    I hate receiving a text with an animated image and not being able to view it.
    It is really annoying.
    well at least let them work on all the other things that need to be fixed first lol an ani mation does not compare to most of the other updates people want lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Umm, I have animated gif working in Internalz new imageviewer, so I'm pretty sure the os is capable.

EDIT: on second though, it's probably that I'm on the emulator that it works.
  16. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    It's already in the Pre! The homebrew weather app displays animated .GIF files from a government web site, and they work fine. You can't open the same image links in the browser and see the animations, though.....
    No the phone does not support the file type.

The developer of the radar site you mentioned said he had to break the sourse gif into multiple jpg files and then cycle through them.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    No the phone does not support the file type.

The developer of the radar site you mentioned said he had to break the sourse gif into multiple jpg files and then cycle through them.
    I invite you to download/unzip/install the attached simple demo app, which simply displays this remote animated .GIF image file on your Pre.

[IMG]http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/6183/bull****amplifierdetect.gif[/IMG]

(If anyone else needs a bull$hit detector app for their Pre, feel free to download/modify it to your heart's content!)

With that piece of mis-information disposed of, I suspect that the problem is that Palm has several references to "lightweight" browser settings in their SDK docs. I haven't finished reading the materials by a long shot yet, but I did not see any reference to a non-lightweight browser mode, or how to enable/disable this mode. If I was the betting type, I'd put my money on the current browser only being the "lightweight" version, which doesn't render animated GIF files in some silly attempt to save battery power or CPU cycles. Figure out how to change that mode, and I bet that animated GIF files loaded by the browser app will suddenly start working.....
    Attached Files Attached Files
  18. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    When I'm wrong I'm wrong.

So I should have said that CURRENTLY the BROWSER doesn't support them?

In all other respects the phone does support them? Are we able to view them correctly in the photos app? Are developers able to use them in scenes?
  19.    #19  
    Well, Hopefully the issue will be addressed sometime soon.
  20.    #20  
    Is there any way animated gifs could be viewable via a hack/tweak.
    Or am I the only one that is really bothered ny the absense of this feature?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast