Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I need my gif pr0n dammit
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bignell007 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing about animated GIF'S. My last phone which was a htc touch supported GiF'S. Palm needs to get some updates out in a hurry so we can enjoy our phones more.
    That's funny cause I had the Touch for a little while and don't remember it supporting animated .gif's. As a matter of fact no HTC phone that I"ve ever owned (6700, 6800, Touch Pro) ever supported it. I always thought it was a WinMo problem and not a carrier one.
    animated gifs also work as a file attachment in your email. at least it works through hotmail. its funny you can view the file through the email app but not on the browser viewing web pages
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    i dont remember the centro doing gifs. never worked when i got one of those random texts with some cartoon character acting inappropriately.

i play a game that has a gif map with embedded links that i cant select. sure wish that problem was fixed.
  5.    #25  
    Any other updates on animated gifs?
    Anyone know if this would even be possible with a future update, etc.

I hate receiving txt messages with an animated gif, and not being able to play it.
    Sounds insane to me with todays technology.
    Boy will I second this request! I also have used the NWS animated radar for years on Treos and a Centro. The fact that the Pre can't display this radar is a MAJOR factor in making me reconsider this phone (which I otherwise LOVE).

The animated WxRad app is great (and major thanks to the dev for keeping it free), bit those regional sector views just don't have the resolution of the local radar views. I fly for an airline and I used to use these NWS radar loops literally every day. Animated gifs are one of the oldest and simplest forms of moving graphic. The fact that a bleeding edge device like the Pre (is suppsed to be) can't display them on a webpage is nothing short of astounding. In my mind, it is a MASSIVE blunder on the part of the folks who built this browser.

*** Palm? Please fix this! Do you really want to be like MS and force people to downgrade just to be able to use basic functionality they depend on?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    From what I've read, it is a problem with Web Kit. iPhone has the same problem.

Hopefully someone write an extension to Web Kit that supports animated gif.
    I have animated GIFs on a web site I run. They animate just fine on iPhone (and Blackberry), but not on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Umm, I have animated gif working in Internalz new imageviewer, so I'm pretty sure the os is capable.

EDIT: on second though, it's probably that I'm on the emulator that it works.
    I just tried my site (which has animated GIF's) using the browser in the emulator. No dice.
    Hi guys.

Just came across some interesting info.

In /etc/palm/browser-app.conf there's this bit:
    # disable gif animations till display list is optimized
    DisableGifAnimations=true
    Which would make sense why gif images work in apps, but not in the browser app
    Ok that would be a great feature for this phone and maybe then I can see my picture mail move.
    Going to see if it works.....
    has anyone tried to turn it on and see if it works?
    it still wouldnt work even if it is turned on...
    Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406 View Post
    it still wouldnt work even if it is turned on...
    Yea, I'm guess there's deeper coding than just the config.

On a similar note, I feel I should mention, regardless of the config file, a gif in an img tag in a scene's view does seem to display animated gifs on the emulator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stearmandriver View Post
    Boy will I second this request! I also have used the NWS animated radar for years on Treos and a Centro. The fact that the Pre can't display this radar is a MAJOR factor in making me reconsider this phone (which I otherwise LOVE).
    . .

*** Palm? Please fix this! Do you really want to be like MS and force people to downgrade just to be able to use basic functionality they depend on?
    -----------

1) Goto ...(3Ws)palm.com/us/company/feedback.html, Feedback & Feature Requests Palm USA. And you request again!
    2) I requested ani.GIF ~Aug25.........
    3) My PREmature DOES load Intellicast.com ~500KB, 9-frame ani.GIF.
    BUT. By time indicator it only displays the last frame.
    4) See 10/28/2009, 11:01 PM Jason Robitaille (below) & thank him for the clue.
    -
    "Hi guys.

Just came across some interesting info.

In /etc/palm/browser-app.conf there's this bit:
    Quote:
    # disable gif animations till display list is optimized
    DisableGifAnimations=true
    Which would make sense why gif images work in apps, but not in the browser app "
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I invite you to download/unzip/install the attached simple demo app, which simply displays this remote animated .GIF image file on your Pre.

[IMG]http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/6183/bull****amplifierdetect.gif[/IMG]

(If anyone else needs a bull$hit detector app for their Pre, feel free to download/modify it to your heart's content!)

With that piece of mis-information disposed of, I suspect that the problem is that Palm has several references to "lightweight" browser settings in their SDK docs. I haven't finished reading the materials by a long shot yet, but I did not see any reference to a non-lightweight browser mode, or how to enable/disable this mode. If I was the betting type, I'd put my money on the current browser only being the "lightweight" version, which doesn't render animated GIF files in some silly attempt to save battery power or CPU cycles. Figure out how to change that mode, and I bet that animated GIF files loaded by the browser app will suddenly start working.....

:ROFLOL: :LOL: :LMAO: :ROFLMAO: BSMETER.ipk
  17.    #37  
    Sent in the request to palm.com/us/company/feedback.html
    Lets get everyone to send in this request so palm can make this request a reality.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I too am truly bothered by the absence of this feature while eagerly awaiting the arrival of flash support also since Adobe should already have a beta version ready and we know it should work...
    Any updates on if / when palm will fix this problem ?

Thanks
    Joe
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Keep in mind that enabling animated gifs will burn a few more cpu
    cycles and thus suck the battery a bit more.

ian
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast