Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    Use media monkey, syncs with the pre and has the option to tag the album art so it is embedded in the song file. Actually a better system than itunes.
    Problem with third-party apps is that the Pre wasn't designed to work with them. MediaMonkey will get you music, but not any playlists you've created in iTunes. Or videos, or pictures. Drag-and-drop really does seem to be the best way to go for now.

I noticed something interesting on the Apple iTunes support forums. It seems that the iTunes version before this latest release was causing big headaches for a lot of iPhone users because it wasn't recognizing their phones. Perhaps the latest version was really just an attempt to fix that flaw...with the unintended (though I'm sure Apple doesn't mind) consequence of breaking Pre association.
  2. geridh
    Just checked my version of Itunes 8.2.0.23. Pre still syncs fine. Is there another update? If so is there a way to insure I don't have automatice updates turned on?
    The laugh will be if Palm are able to restore it by an OTA update.
    If i dont update Itunes will the Pre sync the same with Itunes?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    If i dont update Itunes will the Pre sync the same with Itunes?
    Yes, i skipped the update and my pre syncs perfectly still. I'm gonna play around with double twist for a bit too
    Quote Originally Posted by geridh View Post
    Just checked my version of Itunes 8.2.0.23. Pre still syncs fine. Is there another update? If so is there a way to insure I don't have automatice updates turned on?
    Yes; that's what this thread is about: 8.2.1

Go to EDIT->PREFERENCES. In the GENERAL tab, you'll see an option to deselect automatic update checks. Not that the stupid "Apple Software Update" program won't go looking for one ayway, but it won't install unless you choose to.

Added: Just noticed you can set the Software Update program to "never" check for updates as well. Same thing...EDIT->PREFERENCES.

Ooooh! Also just noticed that DoubleTwist syncs playlists and album art just fine! Well, at least for me. My entire iTunes library was organized by playlists, not albums, or artists, or anything else (someone else organized 6000 songs this way; funny thing is, each playlist is effectively an "album"), and the playlists sync perfectly. The only ting is that, unlike sync'ing with iTunes, the playlists no longer appear in the "playlists" tab, but as perfectly ordered albums in the Pre! So I get the same thing, except I now look for my albums in "albums" instead of "playlists." Woohoo!!!!
    Last edited by PookiePrancer; 07/16/2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: More added
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    www apple com /support/itunes/store/creditcard/# (I modified all urls because of the limit, you can piece them back together if you care to check them out)

If you go to that site and click the chat link at the bottom, it's pretty much the only way I've seen to cancel an account so far. We have 2 Palm Pre's, a 30Gig video iPod, and an old 4gig nano. I used to use iTunes all the time to purchase television shows and music while I was working in Spain. I was enjoying being able to use all of my devices with the same piece of software. Now that we can no longer use iTunes with the Pre, I have transitioned to Amazon and I use DoubleTwist to sync. Yes, I can drag and drop too, but sometimes it's nice to sync. Not to mention, DoubleTwist automatically converts everything to Pre appropriate file format and resolution.

If anyone cares, here is a transcript of the cancellation process:

* Welcome to iTunes Store Chat!

Hi, my name is Tracy. It'll be just a moment while I review the comments you provided.

Tracy: Hello Anthony

tonuello: hello

Tracy: How are you doing, Anthony?

Tracy: I understand that you would like to cancel your itunes account. Is this correct?

Tracy: Please let me know if there's something I can do to set things right for you. The iTunes Store doesn't want to see you go.

tonuello: Yes, and I was unable to find out how to do it anywhere on the support site or in my account settings. (I'm fine, I hope you are too).

tonuello: Allow the Palm Pre to use iTunes and it might be worth while, but I don't see that happening

Tracy: Have you used the itunes feedback link to submit comments.

tonuello: no, I figure this will send a stronger message. If things change in the future I might open a new account if I haven't found a better solution.

Tracy: There are a couple of options that will allow you to retain full access to the items you purchased that have digital-rights management (DRM) while preventing your account from being used to make additional purchases:

Tracy: I understand

tonuello: but its just silly that it was working yesterday and not today

tonuello: I liked the store in the past, and I like the iTunes the program, I'm just not interested in being in the middle of a spat between Palm and Apple

Tracy: Is the Palm Pre an app or podcast?

tonuello: its a competitor to the iPhone

tonuello: as of the new update to iTunes it was specifically blocked from using iTunes

tonuello: we have a nano and video ipod, I liked being able to use all 3 with one piece of software.

Tracy: Okay, I see. Since you have updated your iPhone and now you are unable to use your Palm Pre.

tonuello: I updated the iTunes program, and now am unable to use my Palm Pre

tonuello: I don't own an iPhone.

tonuello: www precentral net /apple-blocks-palm-pre-itunes-syncing

Tracy: Thanks for the link.

tonuello: np. It makes it easier to understand.

Tracy: That was a huge help, one moment while I check my resources.

tonuello: ok

Tracy: iTunes: About unsupported third-party digital media players support apple com /kb/HT3642

Tracy: This links says that Apple only provides support for apple products, but this doesnt mean that you cannot use itunes with your product.

Tracy: Maybe the makers of your Palm Pre can make it compatible.

tonuello: It was until yesterday or today. It wasn't blocked because it is not compatible, its because apple doesn't want a competing product using iTunes

Tracy: For example: Since I am in an itunes department I will not be able to answer questions about google, yahoo, other sources besides Apple.

Tracy: Apple makes sure that the products can be played with Apple products.

Tracy: But Since we are copyrighted as apple we cannot interfere with another companies products to make our products fit.

tonuello: I understand. You are being very polite and courteous. I appreciate your help, however, if you could tell me how to cancel my account I can do that and send an email to the appropriate department later letting them know why I canceled

Tracy: No problem

tonuello: That's like microsoft saying apple can't use its iPod with Windows because it wants it all for its media player the "Zune"

Tracy: I will need the billing address information listed on your account for security reasons.

tonuello: Update: Apple's now gone beyond the "verification of Apple devices" phrase, calling out the Pre by name in a statement issued to BusinessWeek: "It also disables devices falsely pretending to be iPods, including the Palm Pre. As we've said before, newer versions of Apple's iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with unsupported digital media players." In other words, "we told you this was going to happen, and it did."

tonuello: tonuello

tonuello: ***address info***

Tracy: Thanks

Tracy: Before cancelling, the ability to access your account and items purchased will no longer have access

tonuello: np, I understand (silly DRM)

Tracy: Okay, I am having your account cancelled now, one moment please.

Tracy: Thank you for your patience.

Tracy: I have cancelled your account.

Tracy: Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

tonuello: Thank you very much!

Tracy: You are very welcome. Have a wonderful week!

tonuello: No, again, you've been great. Have a good day!
    Thats great. Never liked i tunes anyways.
    To me itunes is nothing but tardware. Sharepod isn't bad and I will try that doubletwist. Seems like Apple loves taking as much control away from the user as possible. I never liked the way Itunes arranged music in the music library and the fact that it's pretty much one way is extremely frustrating. Of course there are ways around it but why deal with that? I'd rather try the other stuff out there and give my money to one of the other stores. Apple could shove itunes right up their a** as far as I'm concerned.
    I'm also trying to get rid of iTunes sync-ed music since I just downloaded doubletwist and it works great.... okay I found an old version, but now it's telling me I can't install the old version cuz I already have a newer version installed... is there any way to delete the music off the phone without installing a version of iTunes that syncs the Pre?
    Last edited by boogaloo; 09/11/2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: first attempt failed..
    hey question... i am using the old itunes so it is synching with my pre - BUT i notice now that when i usb my pre to my computer none of my music shows in any folders. Any ideas? I work out of state and away from my home computer ( my itunes base) and wanted to pull a song off my pre and download it to my computer. any ideas on how to access the music on the pre without using itunes?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenosek View Post
    hey question... i am using the old itunes so it is synching with my pre - BUT i notice now that when i usb my pre to my computer none of my music shows in any folders. Any ideas? I work out of state and away from my home computer ( my itunes base) and wanted to pull a song off my pre and download it to my computer. any ideas on how to access the music on the pre without using itunes?
    Are you saying that you synced to a different computer than the home computer that contains your music? That's probably the issue then; when you sync an iPod (or a Pre pretending to be an iPod) to a computer, it's going to bind to that computer's music collection and ditch any previous computer's music collection that may have been synced at an earlier time.

If you just want to access music from an iPod/Pre, hook it up and look in the left pane of iTunes, where you can select the device and play music off of it (or copy/export the music if it's not copy protected). DO NOT SYNC IT THOUGH!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234