Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72
  1. bamf1500's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #41  
    If you have songs on your pre from itunes and want to remove them how would you go about doing that if you have already updated your itunes? Also is itunes going to try and come up every time i use the media sync option on the phone? Is there a way to disassociate yor pre from itunes? With the drag and drop method where do you drop the files on the pre there is no "music" folder that i can see just see where i can drag and drop pics? Still new to this smartphone stuff so any input helps. Thanks.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by pugnut View Post
    Took the bait? As a investor I am glad they clsoed the door. Clearly Palm noticed the improtence of having a iTunes link as do many of you. Those who are *****ing about it and then stating "Just don't update iTunes" iTunes is not a operating system, period and there are many other sources for you to obtain music and vidoes hence it is their product and have every right to protect it. There is nothing is law that states since you have the best product and no one else can seem to innovate without your ideas you must hand it out for free.

    .
    You might be right that closing the door works out better for Apple than ignoring what I think is a small nusiance - but I think you have to agree that it's creating a lot of free publicity for Palm. Just being mentioned in comparison to the iPhone has to help awareness of the Pre among non-tech savvy consumers.
  3. #43  
    Not a big surprise that Apple doesn't like ANY 3rd party hardware messing with their iTunes or anything... look at their track record for (lawsuits) on hardware and software.

    The Pre guys are all ex-Apple employees and well aware what they were getting into. Honestly I wonder why they even wasted their time and more importantly wasting owners times in dealing with the inevitable of finding another way to manage their music.

    They should have pushed Windows media player or another 3rd party or develop their own.
  4. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #44  
    who cares? just don't update, or downgrade and like another poster said how is this Palm's fault?
  5. #45  
    I agree that Palm knew this would happen, but I don't see the downside of what they did. I think they played it perfectly.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
    You might be right that closing the door works out better for Apple than ignoring what I think is a small nusiance - but I think you have to agree that it's creating a lot of free publicity for Palm. Just being mentioned in comparison to the iPhone has to help awareness of the Pre among non-tech savvy consumers.
    Agree press is good, but not in the case. Like it or not people use and like iTunes, especially non-tech people. They rip their Cd's once and that is it, it is their forever. They are not going to dig out the CD's and re-burn them. What I do beleive is that they underestimated this, plam that is. How can this be their plan? Spending $400 million borrowed dollars and not haveing a clear path with a media player is just wrong.
  7. #47  
    Yes.....But see people got the palm pre cause it's the latest and greatest.

    Running anything other then itunes 8.2.1 is so pre 07/15/09.

    sorry I saw a pun, had to punt it.

    also, since the PRE can bs the usb protocols as they see fit, it's just a matter of time before someone writes an app that will let you put whatever the hell you want as the identifier and then apple will be screwed and won't be able to do anything.

    Even if it meant just cloning your old rinky dinky 5GB ipod's usb id.

    Then apple will have to start selectively targeting ipods left and right and they won't go there in fear of breaking connectivity to a legitimate ipod user in which case a class action lawsuit will come down hard on them.
  8. chrono807's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Not a big surprise that Apple doesn't like ANY 3rd party hardware messing with their iTunes or anything... look at their track record for (lawsuits) on hardware and software.

    The Pre guys are all ex-Apple employees and well aware what they were getting into. Honestly I wonder why they even wasted their time and more importantly wasting owners times in dealing with the inevitable of finding another way to manage their music.

    They should have pushed Windows media player or another 3rd party or develop their own.
    The biggest issue I see is that Apple's built a huge iTunes empire already.... it was one of the first successful per-track music purchasing options (or possibly THE first - I forget, too long ago!). iTunes has become so massively popular that even people who don't purchase music from the iTunes store use it to manage their music libraries.

    iTunes has features that many other music library apps don't - for example, I LOVE the fact that when you add or update the ID3 tags in a file, it automatically refiles and renames it to ensure that it's always named "[music root]\[Artist]\[Album]\[Track#] - [TrackName]". I love that feature, because I never have to worry about ending up with 600 copies of "(1)" at the end of a filename because some wackjob accidentally downloaded a hundred copies of the same song on LimeWire.

    Also, if you're using a Mac, songs you download from Frostwire (maybe Limewire too) automatically appear in your iTunes library - and are filed away correctly once you correct the ID3 tags. It takes a multi-step "cleansing" process and simplifies it, and even as somebody who works in IT and has been a Linux fan since I was in 7th grade, that's some pretty elegant simplicity that no other jukebox has offered yet.

    Long story short, people have many reasons why they may not want to abandon iTunes even if they're not tied to the iTunes store / iPod system.

    Look at it this way - Microsoft's LONG allowed Windows Media Player to sync with any device the manufacturer wants to provide drivers for. Many dissatisfied Zune users will be the first to tell you that they abandoned their Zune because it was an inferior product, not because they had other options aside from Windows Media.

    To look at it another way, if people are choosing to use their Pres with iTunes, shouldn't Apple be getting the message that they're doing so not because they hate Apple, but because they're either dissatisfied with the iPhone or AT&T's network and pricing? Ask any sensible business owner, and they'll tell you flat out, if a customer chooses a competitor's product over yours, it's because you're either offering an inferior product, selling it with inferior marketing, or placing unreasonable restrictions (i.e. a particular cellular network that doesn't work well in all areas) on customers of your product.

    Especially now that iTunes is mostly DRM-free, all Apple is doing by locking out the Pre is turning down potential income from people who don't want AT&T or DO want a physical keyboard. Customers have already started voting with their wallets (for Sprint and the Pre), and Apple didn't like what they saw so they closed the voting booth.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by faz View Post
    Incase if you did just in case ..
    download the older Version from
    Old Version of iTunes Download


    Thank you ! Just what I was looking for .
  10. #50  
    I like how the Palm site now has an * for the following feature:

    Plus, use the Palm media sync feature to transfer your DRM-free iTunes music, videos, and photos to your Pre.6

    "6 Compatible with iTunes v8.2. Compatibility with future versions not guaranteed. Within wireless coverage area only. "
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by pugnut View Post
    ... Most people will complain to Plam ...
    I don't think it's fair to be using the Plam word. Palm isn't clamping down on it's users as you say. In fact, they went out of their way to provide us access to that popular music store - Not because it's good - simply because it's popular.

    Apple makes some great products, and they want to protect their brand. I understand that and your point. The misspelled version of Palm's name was fine in the time when they were totally clueless. That's no longer the case, so please respect Palm's brand as much as you do Apple's.

    thanks
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  12. #52  
    Slightly OT

    I have an iPod that I use in my car and to be honest, after an initial synch I can't really say that I use iTunes anymore. I'd like to get rid of iTunes to free up some space on my laptop. I am assuming that Windows Media Player can also synch with an iPod, or Media Monkey, Amarok, etc ?
  13. #53  
    I have a mac and use itunes for all my music but still prefer drag and drop. I hate how itunes hides ur sync'd music/files
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Apple doesn't want my money? Ok. I'll buy my mp3s from someone else.
    Exactly. Like I really needed yet another reason to stop using iTunes, the nail is in the coffin now.
  15. sam1am's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by pugnut View Post
    Took the bait? As a investor I am glad they closed the door. Clearly Palm noticed the improtence of having a iTunes link as do many of you. Those who are *****ing about it and then stating "Just don't update iTunes" iTunes is not a operating system, period and there are many other sources for you to obtain music and vidoes hence it is their product and have every right to protect it. There is nothing is law that states since you have the best product and no one else can seem to innovate without your ideas you must hand it out for free.

    As far as the App's go, Palm will begin to put the clamps down on the Homebrew people. They need some level of control. Most people will complain to Plam when that App is sucking the battery, or casuing other core system failures. They are proecting a $400 million dollar investment and their life for that matter. This is due ot die for them, I would hope they would protect the brand as well as Apple does

    You couldn't be more wrong on both points if your name were Wrongy W. Wrongstein.

    Your theory doesn't jive well with the law or the past. Do you think Microsoft has the right to tell you which browser you can use? Of course not, but not for lack of trying. So if iTunes is the most popular way to get music online, they don't really have the right to tell you which portable media player it can end up on. Someone will eventually challenge Apple on this, and Apple will lose. They are not obligated to support 3rd party players, but specifically blocking them is anti-competitive. I wonder what their music-distributor partners think about this?

    Your second point is so laughable it barely deserves a response. The app store is about Palm taking a cut of every app sold for the device. Period. It has nothing to do with stability or battery friendliness or anything else.

    Every other platform in the history of mankind has managed to allow people to develop and distribute applications freely without going out of business from people calling the device manufacturer for third party application support. Even my grandma could tell if some application was sucking battery life and delete it. Furthermore, it doesn't take a battery sucking 3rd party program to find complaints about the Pre's battery life.

    Also, if 3rd party apps are causing "core system failures" then people should be complaining to Palm about it, because decent operating systems don't usually allow that to happen (that was one of the reasons Palm OS sucked so bad back in the day). On a decent operating system, things will crash gracefully 99% of the time.

    I would suggest being informed rather than just opinionated. Good luck with your investing, though.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by carlsoj View Post
    I saw reference to USB mode but have not be able to find it. Can you provide guidance?
    When you plug the Pre into your computer you're prompted with 3 options:

    USB Drive
    Media Sync
    Just Charge.

    USB Drive = USB Mode

    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong on both points if your name were Wrongy W. Wrongstein.

    Your theory doesn't jive well with the law or the past. Do you think Microsoft has the right to tell you which browser you can use? Of course not, but not for lack of trying. So if iTunes is the most popular way to get music online, they don't really have the right to tell you which portable media player it can end up on. Someone will eventually challenge Apple on this, and Apple will lose. They are not obligated to support 3rd party players, but specifically blocking them is anti-competitive. I wonder what their music-distributor partners think about this?

    Your second point is so laughable it barely deserves a response. The app store is about Palm taking a cut of every app sold for the device. Period. It has nothing to do with stability or battery friendliness or anything else.

    Every other platform in the history of mankind has managed to allow people to develop and distribute applications freely without going out of business from people calling the device manufacturer for third party application support. Even my grandma could tell if some application was sucking battery life and delete it. Furthermore, it doesn't take a battery sucking 3rd party program to find complaints about the Pre's battery life.

    Also, if 3rd party apps are causing "core system failures" then people should be complaining to Palm about it, because decent operating systems don't usually allow that to happen (that was one of the reasons Palm OS sucked so bad back in the day). On a decent operating system, things will crash gracefully 99% of the time.

    I would suggest being informed rather than just opinionated. Good luck with your investing, though.
    Thanks for calling this guy out. How come an investor can't properly spell or use English grammar?
  17. Clack's Avatar
    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    And this is Palm's fault because?
    They leveraged off something on our behalf essentially for free. now the free lunch is over with no free Sprint/Palm solution to the problem knowing Apple would likely cut off the Pre.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  18. Clack's Avatar
    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    who cares? just don't update, or downgrade and like another poster said how is this Palm's fault?
    Creating a dependency on a service that Sprint/Palm knew wouldn't and no replacement service makes it Palm's fault.

    Some people with an understanding of the law would call Palm's actions Fraud.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  19. fredc1's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #59  
    Never mind....

    Mod---delete this please
    Last edited by fredc1; 07/15/2009 at 10:35 PM.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Well for one thing, iTunes gets the album art right. When I just moved my stuff over without itunes, the album art didn't show up at all, or not correctly on my Pre, when I did it with iTunes it worked great.

    Does Double Twist do this? When you first start Double Twist, can it just import all my music from iTunes, and if yes, does it synch correctly to the Pre as far as album art is concerned?
    Use media monkey, syncs with the pre and has the option to tag the album art so it is embedded in the song file. Actually a better system than itunes.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions