Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Great. Not only do we lose iTunes sync, we are now going to be subjected to the Pre Defenders who will try to justify how losing compatibility with one of the worlds most popular music players isn't a big deal and that trolls like us should stop whining.
    One might think that if you love the almighty itunes so much you would have bought its best accessory which is an iphone.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    The only thing I use itunes for is to sync updated podcasts to my pre. Haven't found a program that does this as easily as itunes yet. But as others have already pointed out. Just don't update to 8.2.1. Problem solved.
    I initially used iTunes, but quickly realized that using USB was simpler, and that it was much easier to stream podcasts via Google Reader than to remember to sync to iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Yep, they have never coded anything to specifically make the environment difficult for their competitors. Which is also why they didn't have to pay millions and millions of dollars in fines for it. Or maybe the other way around.

Not much different between Microsoft and Apple and many big companies. Find good ideas. Buy them. Market them. Make money.
    I didn't say MS does everything right. I was just saying that this particular type of conduct isn't what they usually do.
    Hopefully Apple continues this line of "fixes" and helps "encourage" the sheeple to wake up from thinking itunes is a usable piece of worthwhile software.
    if anything, this will help palm develop a desktop music player....i'm sure they'll even copy itunes.

itunes 4 pre not crippled bc this cat didn't update....booyah!
    Well for one thing, iTunes gets the album art right. When I just moved my stuff over without itunes, the album art didn't show up at all, or not correctly on my Pre, when I did it with iTunes it worked great.

Does Double Twist do this? When you first start Double Twist, can it just import all my music from iTunes, and if yes, does it synch correctly to the Pre as far as album art is concerned?
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Apple doesn't want my money? Ok. I'll buy my mp3s from someone else.
    I'm surprised Apple "took the bait" on this issue. They look like a big bully and are creating lots of publicity for the Pre. Plus the homebrew people will figure it out how to get it working quickly. I wonder how many Pre users were actually syncing to iTunes? I don't even use iTunes for my iPod because it's too bloated for my netbook.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I use iTunes for *gasp* my iPod but if I want to listen to music on my Pre I will just drag and drop if I have to. Either way I don't see how this is that big of a deal.
    drag & drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple.Sevens View Post
    Why do you even need a media app? Just drag and drop in USB mode, doesn't get much simpler then that.
    Generally I agree. Abs hate iTunes. Never used it. Never will. However, a good portion of my music media is in wma format (which the Pre currently can't play). So I've been using doubletwist which converts the files to mp3. However, I'm seriously considering reripping all my CD's (about 500 CDs, Eeek!) as mp3 so I can drag and drop to my heart's content. Only thing stopping me (besides the shear number of CDs) is that I prefer the sound of quality wma's over mp3's.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Why do you even need a media app? Just drag and drop in USB mode, doesn't get much simpler then that.
    Sure it does. Plug in a Pre. iTunes syncs. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Does anyone mind summarizing what the benefit of iTunes sync is? You can still get your music on your device using USB cut and paste correct?
    Playlists, Podcasts, Popularity (Alliteration is unintentional)

Playlists - We only get 8GB so we have to be selective on what we put on here and Smart Playlists are a great solution. For example, my "Shuffle" playlist parameters are set for All Songs within the 3-5Star range, Limited to 2GB and chooses songs based on Least Often Played. So every time I plug in it will update my playlist to stuff I like but haven't heard recently.

Podcasts - Podcasts come in randomly so manually managing a few dozen shows then iTunes does all the aggregating for you and it all automatically syncs with the Pre.

Popularity - Like it or not, Apple is a big deal and iTunes is a popular product and saying "It syncs with iTunes" makes the iPod/iPhone transition easier. But if they have to fight in order to get a basic feature to work, or if they expect the average consumer to rely on 3rd party software/hacks then they'll be scaring away a lot of customers.

This is a pretty big move that shouldn't be dismissed so easily. Not only because it blocks us for now, but mainly because Apple is saying straight out that they will actively prevent Palm users from sitting in their lawn.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    MediaMonkey Free Media Jukebox, Music Manager, CD Ripper & Converter is, IMO, the best music manager out there. It can transcode your music ala doubletwist, as well as download podcasts etc. It does everything that iTunes does, but it does it better, IMO.

Give it a shot.
    Duh. Bug flies near face. Swat at bug to see if it goes away. It doesn't. Squash Bug.

No news here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Next volley from Palm. Pre looks like an iPhone and runs iPhone apps.

While nigh on impossible (can you imagine writing THAT emulator?) it would be hilarious.

They both user an ARM Cortex-A8 CPU, with similar hardware. Very little "Emulation" would be needed. There would have to be some translates for the hardware versions. Virtualizing the iPhone OS and/or The Web OS on the there counterparts is really quite in the realm of possibilities. Now what Apple's legal team will do with your body if you attempted this, that I can't comment on.
    I saw reference to USB mode but have not be able to find it. Can you provide guidance?
    I use Sharepod with my netbook because it's very lightweight and does the simple stuff very well. I'm going to try it with my Pre tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphemz View Post
    What if there is a song that you downloaded but dont want IN the Pre?

Or just want to add ONE picture??

You do what? Drag and Drop INTO the itunes THEN sync???

Im sorry, but i like more control over what I add to my phone, never liked iTunes anyway.
    1) Simple. Just create and sync playlists of music you DO want in the Pre. It's not that big a deal if you already use iTunes to manage music. If you don't then you should've been using an alternative method in the first place.

2) Actually it's already been mentioned that syncing photos with iTunes takes the full size image (even if you checked off optimize) which is really a waste of space. From a Mac user point of view, I would export photos in iPhoto to 3MP size (Max dimension of 2000) and then use the drag and drop method.

By the way, here's a thread with alternatives to iTunes:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...ernatives.html
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 07/15/2009 at 02:56 PM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
    I'm surprised Apple "took the bait" on this issue. They look like a big bully and are creating lots of publicity for the Pre. Plus the homebrew people will figure it out how to get it working quickly. I wonder how many Pre users were actually syncing to iTunes? I don't even use iTunes for my iPod because it's too bloated for my netbook.
    Took the bait? As a investor I am glad they closed the door. Clearly Palm noticed the improtence of having a iTunes link as do many of you. Those who are *****ing about it and then stating "Just don't update iTunes" iTunes is not a operating system, period and there are many other sources for you to obtain music and vidoes hence it is their product and have every right to protect it. There is nothing is law that states since you have the best product and no one else can seem to innovate without your ideas you must hand it out for free.

As far as the App's go, Palm will begin to put the clamps down on the Homebrew people. They need some level of control. Most people will complain to Plam when that App is sucking the battery, or casuing other core system failures. They are proecting a $400 million dollar investment and their life for that matter. This is due ot die for them, I would hope they would protect the brand as well as Apple does
    Last edited by pugnut; 07/15/2009 at 03:03 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast