1.    #1  
    Hi Guys,

is it possible to take the stock apps(email, dialer, ect) and copy them to your desktop, packaged or not. I would love this because i have a friend who wants to do pre developing but doesnt have a pre yet.

Thanks,
    Scoutcamper
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcamper View Post
    Hi Guys,

is it possible to take the stock apps(email, dialer, ect) and copy them to your desktop, packaged or not. I would love this because i have a friend who wants to do pre developing but doesnt have a pre yet.

Thanks,
    Scoutcamper
    If he just downloads the leaked SDK he'll essentially have a "Pre" to work with. All the primary apps are on it.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
  3.    #3  
    however, it would be easier for himif i could give him the apps, as he has tools at work he can use, but he cant install the sdk on his work pc.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcamper View Post
    however, it would be easier for himif i could give him the apps, as he has tools at work he can use, but he cant install the sdk on his work pc.
    There isn't much he'd be able to do with the apps without the SDK, at least in terms of testing them. I think any modifications to the original applications could be considered messing with Palm's code, a big no-no. Regardless, I think they'd have to be "repackaged," as they exist on the device as installed applications, and obviously not the .ipk files. The only other thing I could suggest would be downloading the WebOSDoctor, which has a full OS image, and digging through there to see if they are packaged before they are installed.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    You can do plenty with the code and not the SDK. I don't have the SDK and I've done plenty. He can download the webosDR and open it to explore the files inside like how this all started, the entire file structure of a "stock" pre is in there and he can browse the code of the various files.

You can also sftp into your pre and copy any of the directories. Apps aren't "Installed" in the same manner as an installed windows program, but are structured like web pages or java apps. So just a copy of the program directory gets you everything you need and you can even debug them in Safari.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  6.    #6  
    how do i sftp?