webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Homebrew ipk links on v1.0.3: What if nothing happens?
Homebrew ipk links on v1.0.3: What if nothing happens?

Old 07/13/2009, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

So I have a pre that's still on 1.0.3 for whatever reason, so i thought I'd try to install some of the homebrew apps via email links, as it sounded like it was only after 1.0.4 hit that the email installation deal was broken...

I picked ones that didn't require rooting.

I tried to install:
  • My Notifications
  • Stopwatch/Timer
  • Solitaire
  • Othello
  • Tetris

My Notifications worked. For each of the others, i clicked on the links, waited the highlighting of the link went away, then checked the launcher. Nothing new there.

So I gathered from the threads that I might need to do more work for those to work (using the SDK)...

...but if i don't feel like doing that, and I'm fine with them not being installed, can I just leave my Pre the way it is? Is there any danger of things being only half-installed and my Pre now being unstable in some way?

I did a backup via the Backup program just before it...so if I need to I can do that...but do I need to?

Thanks!
Shadowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2009, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

They won't install via email unless the ipk files are signed, and since you may be the last person left using 1.0.3 (ok, exaggeration), most authors aren't bothering to do that anymore.

By "the way it is" do you mean on version 1.0.3? Sure. It's a security hole, but since you're the last person left using 1.0.3, probably no one will bother to target it. Eventually your Pre will update itself, or version 1.1 will come out and you may want to upgrade. Or do you mean leaving your Pre in developer mode? That's also a security hole, but possibly only when the Pre is actually plugged into a computer, and probably won't be a problem. Certainly I haven't seen anyone report any problems due to doing so.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2009, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

oh, by "the way it is", I mean whatever state the unsuccessful installations might have left the phone in. I'm wondering if the installations might have done any changes, just not finished, so that my Pre might be in some middle state of having things partially installed, in which case, it might be a good idea to erase the Pre and restore from backup just to be in a "known good" state.

I'm hoping that the unsigned ipks mean that no changes at all were made, and I don't have to do a restore.
Shadowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2009, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
I'm hoping that the unsigned ipks mean that no changes at all were made, and I don't have to do a restore.
That would be my assumption. At worst the ipk file might be sitting somewhere taking up space, but they're pretty small (many less than 100k) so even that would be trivial.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0