webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Does all this talk about Chrome OS bug anyone else?!
Does all this talk about Chrome OS bug anyone else?!

Old 07/10/2009, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Below is one of 3,524 articles
Google Chrome OS: Web Platform To Rule Them All -- InformationWeek

Hey, world! There already is a cloud based OS built on top of a Linux kernel. For now you need a Palm pre to experience it. It's called webOS

I would venture to guess that Netbooks are on the horizon. Who knows, maybe someday it will see the desktop.
cooknn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think the announcement of Chrome OS just underscores what a timely concept cloud-based operating really is. Google and Palm quite obviously had similar thoughts at the same time. Palm just happened to get to market first with the Pre. But that says nothing about whether Chrome is or isn't worth the hype in its own right.

It's totally unnecessary to frame either one in terms of the other, but if you must, then I'd encourage you to embrace Chrome's presence for the simple reason that competition is good. The better Chrome turns out to be, the better WebOS will also end up being in order to stay competitive. Everybody wins.

Also, keep in mind, a couple months ago, all those blogs and news sites trumpeting Chrome were blaring on and on about WebOS in the exact same way. For good or ill, that's just how the news cycle works these days.
ABBlockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

It bugs me for a whole variety of reasons. Not the least of which is the rationale for cloud-based computing. Sure, bandwidth is getting to be huge but is it now, or will it be in the foreseeable future, as fast as getting something from your drive to your monitor? Will it ever be as reliable?

You have nearly complete control over how much storage space you have and how you backup your data and how you power your machine. You have absolutely zero control over bandwidth at any given point in time. Why would anyone make that trade off?
groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 04:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Why would anyone want to rely solely on cloud computing? What if your isp is really crappy?
If i can play awesome 3d games without forking out a ton on a videocard, im all for it.
failmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't think anyone's advocating using the cloud for everything. There are obviously certain things I'd never want to put anywhere near the cloud, for reasons ranging from security/privacy to performance to reliability to control. But I do find that the ability to access certain data from anywhere has proven to be something I'm relying on more and more these days.

Exactly what gets added to that "certain data" in coming years is anyone's guess. I suspect that in 10 years' time, we'll be using distributed computing in ways we can't even imagine right now. But for the near and foreseeable future, there's a big distinction between what kinds of things must be local, and what kinds of things are better suited to the cloud. There's no reason to be concerned about erasing that distinction. That's not what we're talking about.

All I'm saying is that the cloud is an idea whose time has come, as the emergence of not just one, but two distinct cloud-based operating systems has clearly indicated. How little or how much you want to embrace the concept is up to you. But we're all using the cloud to one degree or another, and we'll only continue to do so.
ABBlockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
...I'd encourage you to embrace Chrome's presence for the simple reason that competition is good. The better Chrome turns out to be, the better WebOS will also end up being in order to stay competitive. Everybody wins.
Excellent point. I guess I failed to consider all the press that webOS got after CES. My thought regarding all the Chrome OS press today is that at least webOS deserves a mention. I haven't seen one.
cooknn is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0