1.    #1  
    If you search for careers at Palm, I came across Job ID# 4594. In it follows:

To work with the Linux networking components to create a great networking experience for Palm's WebOS platform.
    This includes modifying open-source software to meet the needs for an embedded device, developing and maintaining WebOS specific VPN networking components.

Working Knowledge of SSL Certificates
    Working Knowledge of Cisco VPNC client, PPTP, and/or SSL Tunneling

Responsibilities:

5+ year experience with networking

2+ year experience developing VPN Technologies.

Advanced working knowledge of networking routing protocols.

5+ years experience with C/C++
    Cellular data networking experience.

Great news! I believe Palm really is looking ahead with WebOS. It's going to be a fantastic OS.
    I would hope it will be sooner than 2.0. I would love a Cisco compatible VPN client integrated into webOS by 1.3 or 1.4.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    OK, I'm not a programmer, or a hack, or anything of any significance in the world of computers and gadgets, but this is something I've been dreaming about. Who needs a 32gig pre if you can VPN to your multi-terabyte video/song collection at home? I'm so glad I bought this phone!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    Who needs a 32gig pre if you can VPN to your multi-terabyte video/song collection at home?
    Cell networks will love that.
    yep, and you know it's coming. But consider this: since I got my pre on June 6, and now have a phone with wifi, my Sprint data usage has been cut by two-thirds, from about 3gb/mo to just barely 1.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    OK, I'm not a programmer, or a hack, or anything of any significance in the world of computers and gadgets, but this is something I've been dreaming about. Who needs a 32gig pre if you can VPN to your multi-terabyte video/song collection at home? I'm so glad I bought this phone!
    No kidding dude! We just moved to our new data center and we now have a 10gb direct link to the cloud, and having my media server on that is going to be insane!

Who needs 16gb+ when, like you said, i can have access to my 4tb server ( I don't have too much media on it yet)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtkwol View Post
    Cell networks will love that.
    haha!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I would hope it will be sooner than 2.0. I would love a Cisco compatible VPN client integrated into webOS by 1.3 or 1.4.
    My best guess is WebOS will follow Apple with one major software revision per year. VPN to me is a "biggie" that would be on a X.0 release, where the 1.X new features will be minor and disappointing to some. I'm not expecting much with 1.1 when that releases. We might not see a 1.3 or 1.4, as Apple has not pushed out anything higher than X.2.
    No indication that it will be coming in v2.0 of WebOS. Speculation at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    No indication that it will be coming in v2.0 of WebOS. Speculation at best.
    Yeah. In it's final form, it will probably take a couple of years to implement this. But, this has to mean is that somewhere, someone is already tinkering with it. Who knows, mybe it's one of our own homebrew developers, and maybe we can all be beta testers.

It's too bad that I'm on vacation. I can't wait to get home and download the sdk, and start messing with all the cool stuff this phone can do!
    Last edited by amateurhack; 07/19/2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Seplling