webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > New to Wi-Fi on cell
New to Wi-Fi on cell

Old 07/09/2009, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

I am new to having a cell phone with Wi-Fi. I know that T-mobile had phones that used Wi-Fi for calls when using it. How does the Pre use Wi-Fi?
sciteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Everything except phone calls and SMS text messages.
Caitlyn McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciteach View Post
I am new to having a cell phone with Wi-Fi. I know that T-mobile had phones that used Wi-Fi for calls when using it. How does the Pre use Wi-Fi?
The Pre can use WiFi as an alternative to EV (or 1X or...) data for receiving/sending e-mail, web browsing, calendar/contacts sync, etc. As the previous poster said, it cannot be uses for SMS (or MMS) or to make phone calls.

Basically, it's an alternate way to "do data." In theory, it's faster. And works in places where you can't get a good data connection.

You'll need to have a WiFi router, of course. And be in range of it.

The nice thing on the Pre is that it'll switch between connections automatically. So, for example, I can walk home using EV. Then, when I come inside my house, it picks up that I have a WiFi router and switches to that. Later, I can go back on a walk and switch back to EV. If I go to a coffee shop that has free WiFi, it can switch to that when I go inside.
squeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Caitlyn & squeff!
sciteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Also doesn't use WiFi for SprintTV, based on my great WiFi at home, but poor data and therefore terrible SprintTV streaming at home.
sacherjj#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

i have 2 EV bars in my house sometimes none at all im connected via wifi right now and the srint tv isnt the clearest ive seen it, but its never ever CLEAR for me so idk if its using wifi or EV, but when i close the tv it says on wifi
Mesha718holla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesha718holla View Post
i have 2 EV bars in my house sometimes none at all im connected via wifi right now and the srint tv isnt the clearest ive seen it, but its never ever CLEAR for me so idk if its using wifi or EV, but when i close the tv it says on wifi
Sprint TV most likely uses EVDO only because it's a Sprint service. Best way to figure it out is turning airplane mode on, leave Wi-Fi on, and try starting Sprint TV.

Sprint customer since 2001

Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 07/12/2009 at 08:15 AM.
EeZeEpEe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
The nice thing on the Pre is that it'll switch between connections automatically. So, for example, I can walk home using EV. Then, when I come inside my house, it picks up that I have a WiFi router and switches to that. Later, I can go back on a walk and switch back to EV. If I go to a coffee shop that has free WiFi, it can switch to that when I go inside.
Is there any noticeable battery drain by having it search for WiFi? Or is it better to manually turn WiFi off / on? Thanks!

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
Bujin#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

ok so i have airplane mode on and wifi is on as well
opening sprint tv....

live
disney channel
ERROR
Please turn OFF airplane mode to use this feature. (10021)

So i guess it does use EVDO
Mesha718holla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2009, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
Is there any noticeable battery drain by having it search for WiFi? Or is it better to manually turn WiFi off / on? Thanks!
If there is an available wifi signal that the Pre can use, you save power by using it instead of EvDO. My impression is that you save a lot of power this way.

If there isn't... searching for it must consume some power, so turning it off could in principle save you power. I doubt it's very significant, though.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0