webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Google Voice (all the missing Pre features fo' free)!
Google Voice (all the missing Pre features fo' free)!

Old 07/09/2009, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

After requesting an invite what seems like centuries ago. I finally got my invite to Google Voice.

Let me tell you, it's amazing. I selected my own phone number and managed to keep the last 4 digits of my real cell the same.

Anyway...the best part is for those Visual Voicemail users or transcription service subscribers (youmail and <insert other companies here>) you'll like that the Google transcribes voicemails for FREE!.

They also allow you to send a call to voicemail all messages are sent to your Google Voice inbox, you can have a link emailed to you to listen to your voicemail. The message is transcribed and sent in a text. Aaaaand while they're leaving a voicemail you can listen in on the vm (using your phone) and if you like what you hear you can pick up the call in mid-voicemail).

As usual Google went above and beyond. The emailed vm link and transcription was critical for me as it allowed me to have a make-shift Visual Voicemail.

Only one problem, the email link to listen to vm doesn't play well with the Pre so no sound. But the transcription sent to text makes up for it.

Side note: Palm really needs to get it together when it comes to opening email links of certain types and email file attachments. I'm really starting to get annoyed.

Example 1: Couldn't open an HTM file attached to an email. That was annoying!

Example 2: Couldn't listen to the Google Voice voicemail through a link (I assume it was a streaming link).

Example 3: PDF file sent to me wouldn't open properly.

Example 4: Word Doc emailed to me wouldn't open at all.

A smartphone should at the very least open the most basic/common of file types. Hope to see these issues resolved soon.
derrickonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have been with Google Voice (Grand Central) for years. As much as I love it to death, I fear one major thing.
Google is so flakey when it comes to products like these, I am afraid they will drop support and leave me high and dry.
cjdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree. Actually from what I've read they've transitioned Grand Central to Google Voice. I think this product may actually stick around.

However I'm not taking chances. All important people get my real phone number, friends, family, wife. Businesses, sluts, and all others get my Google voice number since I can also block them very easily.

It's another option we have that's all. I HAAAAATE checking voicemail. I usually end up with 10 voicemails by the end of the week and eventually I get up off my lazy *** and check them.

I get tired of going through all the trouble just to hear someone say "hey derrick call me back".
Old 07/09/2009, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Are you able to change your Voice #? Block #s?
I assume you can register it with the Do-Not-Call registry?
Is the GVoice # going to be linked directly to my Google account?
majikTib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, you can also add a bunch of phones that it can ring you on.
Yes you can block numbers
I assume so
Yes it is.
Old 07/09/2009, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickonline View Post
sluts
That's funny.
bpdamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have had a Google Voice for a few years now, started as Grand Central. I really like what Google has done with it.

What we really need is a dialer application that will dial our Google number then 2 (I think) then the number in our contact. That way the call will come from our Google number.

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

I love my google voice. I agree it would be nice if the pre could play the vm from the email and a dialer app for the pre would be really slick.

Actually a full blown google voice app for the pre would be great, basically it would be a way to have visual voicemail.
gabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would pay good money for a gv dialer type application. I carry an iphone and a pre and find myself calling out from the iphone more because of the gv app. Another option would be a way to spoof my caller id to show my gv number instead of my cell number.
thomase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomase View Post
Another option would be a way to spoof my caller id to show my gv number instead of my cell number.
There is an actually an android app for the t-mobile g1 that automates dialing your google voice number hitting *2 then dialing your contact, right from your phone contact list. It also gives you direct access to your visual voicemail.

I wish someone would work on an app for the pre. Thats the only thing holding me back from buying one.
MrDeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Anyone able to pass an invite over yet? I registered like everyone else long long ago...

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
christo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 08:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

for some reason they don't allow users to give out invited like they did with gmail.
aairman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

I would love to be able to forward the calls I decline to GV. Sprint charges $0.20/min for forwarding services, other carriers do not. I've read once upon a time you were able to change your Sprint voice mail to a third party VM service, but this not longer can be done.

I emailed dan@sprint.com and a nice lady from his office called me back telling me that they were never able to do that. I think she was misinformed, but I didn't feel like debating this with her.

Hopefully one day I can port my number to GV or get free forwarding on Sprint.
jiron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 01:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jiron2000:
I would love to be able to forward the calls I decline to GV. Sprint charges $0.20/min for forwarding services, other carriers do not. I've read once upon a time you were able to change your Sprint voice mail to a third party VM service, but this not longer can be done.

I emailed dan@sprint.com and a nice lady from his office called me back telling me that they were never able to do that. I think she was misinformed, but I didn't feel like debating this with her.

Hopefully one day I can port my number to GV or get free forwarding on Sprint.
Why don't you just give out your GV #. You can have it forwarded to your mobile and still see who's calling. You have an option to p/u or ignore the call. If you ignore the call, it will be on GV. There isn't an extra charge for that on Sprint. I use "youmail" that's a service that forwards all unanswered calls that go to your mobile number. That is the service that Sprint charges for.

You're trying to change the GV into a "youmail feature. That's fine, but GV the way it is already meets the need that you've described.
bdhu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 03:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks... but no thanks.
groovy is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0