Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    I've heard that it should be here by the 22nd. Anyone else here the same??
    Yep, but don't set high expectations on it. If it comes, great. If it doesn't, okay then.
    i really hope it has a effect on that turd of a battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    The Pre is the first device I've seen, however, where the charger may not be able to power the device. For example, that the battery could go from 50% to 45%, while plugged in, simply because you're using Pandora or Sprint Nav.
    This happened to me as well. What the hell is the point of the navigation utility if running it won't let me have battery for more than an hour and the phone plugged in still causes the battery to drain?!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RLovelett View Post
    This happened to me as well. What the hell is the point of the navigation utility if running it won't let me have battery for more than an hour and the phone plugged in still causes the battery to drain?!
    For trips that are under 60 minutes drive time?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RLovelett View Post
    From what I've heard, others have complained to Palm about this. Palm says that charging is intended to work for "normal operation" and running software is not considered "normal operation." In other words, they claim, it's for charging the phone while it's idle (or off?). It's a charger, not a power cable.

I disagree, but Palm reps are apparently telling people this. For their part, Sprint told me that the Pre is not intended for people that need that battery to last very long. "If you don't fit the customer profile for this phone, you have 30 days to return it."
    From what I've heard, others have complained to Palm about this. Palm says that charging is intended to work for "normal operation" and running software is not considered "normal operation." In other words, they claim, it's for charging the phone while it's idle (or off?). It's a charger, not a power cable.

I disagree, but Palm reps are apparently telling people this. For their part, Sprint told me that the Pre is not intended for people that need that battery to last very long. "If you don't fit the customer profile for this phone, you have 30 days to return it."
    I actually just got off the phone w/ Sprint Tech support. I got the pre on Saturday, and have been very disappointed by the battery. Today, I babied it, I mean, I used it for maybe 30 minutes, total. That includes some voice calls, and some very light web browsing. WiFi off, BT off, screen brightness down, 15 email fetch interval, and no google-chat. By 6PM, I was down to 18% battery. The signal in my lab is fairly good, three or four bars ish.

The Sprint Rep (Bobby), said that its fairly typical for that phone. I really hope that there is a battery conditioning period on this phone as some on this forum suggest, as I find this battery to be unacceptable. I cannot expect to be near a charger every day, I need a phone that lasts 1.5 days under typical usage.

From my reading of what is coming in 1.1, I hope that Palm has been able to wring out some more power saving from the code. There is some serious optimization issues they need to deal with. Quite frankly, I wish Palm would have held off until they had these problems fixed to launch, but I think they were under pressure from the 3GS launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by nethed View Post
    I actually just got off the phone w/ Sprint Tech support. I got the pre on Saturday, and have been very disappointed by the battery. Today, I babied it, I mean, I used it for maybe 30 minutes, total. That includes some voice calls, and some very light web browsing. WiFi off, BT off, screen brightness down, 15 email fetch interval, and no google-chat. By 6PM, I was down to 18% battery. The signal in my lab is fairly good, three or four bars ish.

The Sprint Rep (Bobby), said that its fairly typical for that phone. I really hope that there is a battery conditioning period on this phone as some on this forum suggest, as I find this battery to be unacceptable. I cannot expect to be near a charger every day, I need a phone that lasts 1.5 days under typical usage.

From my reading of what is coming in 1.1, I hope that Palm has been able to wring out some more power saving from the code. There is some serious optimization issues they need to deal with. Quite frankly, I wish Palm would have held off until they had these problems fixed to launch, but I think they were under pressure from the 3GS launch.
    I agree that the Pre battery sucks, but I dont understand why, if its the same battery that the Centro uses. My wife takes her Centro off the charger at 8 in the morning. She makes calls non-stop and checks emails all day. By the end of the night(9pm) her battery is at about 67%. I unplug the Pre at about 12noon, make no calls[since its not my primary phone] check email on a regular basis, no wifi, no bluetooth, very light web surfing[checking account balances] and by 9pm my battery is in the range of 30-40%. And the Centro battery is almost 2 years old.

Is this why PALM suggest we dont use the Centro battery, to force us to buy an extra Pre battery? Or because they simply "want" bad reviews of the Pre's battery floating around the internet?
    My pre charges quite well while I am listening to music and browsing the net at the same time. It always increases the battery.
    i actually like the battery on the pre. it can go a full day without a charge. i mainly use it for the web and i don't get a lot of calls. i remember when i had the htc touch that battery wouldnt last what seemed like an hour.
    I'm hoping they do fix the battery, however there some sync issues that need to be fixed as well. Sometimes my cal won't update appointments I change on tthe pc, my facebook contacts don't seem to come in after the initial sync, and sometimes calendars take some work to show up. Its a 1.0 though so I expected it. Just lookin forward to fix's (and more apps so that when my friend wit hhis iphone 3gs tells me his phone is better than mine cus of the apps I can shut him up lol.)
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson View Post
    I agree that the Pre battery sucks, but I dont understand why, if its the same battery that the Centro uses. My wife takes her Centro off the charger at 8 in the morning. She makes calls non-stop and checks emails all day. By the end of the night(9pm) her battery is at about 67%. I unplug the Pre at about 12noon, make no calls[since its not my primary phone] check email on a regular basis, no wifi, no bluetooth, very light web surfing[checking account balances] and by 9pm my battery is in the range of 30-40%. And the Centro battery is almost 2 years old.

Is this why PALM suggest we dont use the Centro battery, to force us to buy an extra Pre battery? Or because they simply "want" bad reviews of the Pre's battery floating around the internet?
    If I have read correctly, one Sprint manager claimed that the Centro battery is different from the Pre battery based on the "computer" inside them. Their timings and voltages and such must be different. But that's all I know.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson View Post
    I agree that the Pre battery sucks, but I dont understand why, if its the same battery that the Centro uses.
    I don't think it's the battery's fault. At least not mostly.

It's the Pre's fault. It uses power inefficiently. (Those that have rooted their phones and have turned on CPU scaling report significant improvement in battery life)

More, it uses significant battery at times when it really shouldn't. For example, certain IM functions will actually turn the phone on to almost full power. Other devices are able to do these functions at very low power settings.

It also keeps ratcheting up the power when it can't get a signal. I take the subway and, even when the phone is in standby, I can feel it get warm (even sometimes hot) in my pocket because it's ramping up the power trying to get a signal. My old Blackberry didn't have speedy data in the subway (there is Verizon service down there), but it still worked and never got hot.

Combine this with the fact that the Pre just isn't as good as other phones in getting a signal, and even in areas that other phones do just fine, the Pre will not be able to get a signal and will keep ramping up power.

Most of these things should be fixable with software. At least, I hope.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    This seems to only occur with the palm branded car charger. The official Sprint charger allows me to run both programs while on a phone call and it still charges the batter....the phone gets a little toasty though.
    Some of the charger issues may be due to too-low amperage. Pre takes more than some other phones, and not every charger provides the 1 amp I think the Pre consumes on maximum usage. Even some Palm chargers (e.g. the Treo Pro's car charger) may fit but not work well under load.
    I have to say, I'm really surprised with all the battery complaints that we're still seeing.

When I first got my Pre (launch day), I was also aggravated at the really poor battery life. I figured it'd get better after the battery was able to cycle a few times, but it was so bad that I didn't think it would improve quite as much as I'd like so I kept my eye out for the extended battery.

That being said, after about 5 days and 5 full drains with 5 complete recharges, my battery is outstanding and I've declined to purchase the extended battery.

I have multiple email accts sync'ed "as it arrives", multiple calendars, tasks, etc... Location services always on, wifi on but bluetooth only on when i use it and the list goes on. The point being, I don't worry about battery management options anymore. The only thing I've done is keep IM off and turned the screen down to the lowest brightness. (~30 minutes of web browsing and 30 minutes of music this morning after being off the charger for 4 hours and I'm at 88%).

The only issue I can possibly think of for everyone having problems has to be coverage area. I'm in Chicago and Sprint coverage is amazing (always Evdo, never dropped calls, etc...) I'm sure Palm can implement a little bit of improvement with firmware updates, but I'd be inclined to think that if you're in a poor coverage area, your battery just isn't going to last and you need to buy a spare.

EDIT: I would agree that the PALM OE car charger doesn't seem to charge as well as my TouchStone; however I am still able to use the OE car charger with Navigation and the battery will not drain. It will still charge, just very slowly.
    Last edited by WindyCityPre; 07/21/2009 at 10:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    I have to say, I'm really surprised with all the battery complaints that we're still seeing.

When I first got my Pre (launch day), I was also aggravated at the really poor battery life. I figured it'd get better after the battery was able to cycle a few times, but it was so bad that I didn't think it would improve quite as much as I'd like so I kept my eye out for the extended battery.

That being said, after about 5 days and 5 full drains with 5 complete recharges, my battery is outstanding and I've declined to purchase the extended battery.

I have multiple email accts sync'ed "as it arrives", multiple calendars, tasks, etc... Location services always on, wifi on but bluetooth only on when i use it and the list goes on. The point being, I don't worry about battery management options anymore. The only thing I've done is keep IM off and turned the screen down to the lowest brightness.

The only issue I can possibly think of for everyone having problems has to be coverage area. I'm in Chicago and Sprint coverage is amazing (always Evdo, never dropped calls, etc...) I'm sure Palm can implement a little bit of improvement with firmware updates, but I'd be inclined to think that if you're in a poor coverage area, your battery just isn't going to last and you need to buy a spare.
    My Blackberry 8830 was able to go for at least 2 days, maybe more, on a battery charge under the same conditions. And, with the Blackberry, my coverage was significantly better. For example, I was able to get EVDO in areas that now show as 1X. I was able to get 4 bars in areas I now get 1.
    My Blackberry 8830 was able to go for at least 2 days, maybe more, on a battery charge under the same conditions. And, with the Blackberry, my coverage was significantly better. For example, I was able to get EVDO in areas that now show as 1X. I was able to get 4 bars in areas I now get 1.
    I don't have hard data handy to back up any claims I make, but I've been able to go more than 2 full days on with my Pre when the days are lighter-use. I'd say with moderate use (and it really is moderate), my pre will be dead in 2 full days.

In your case, I guess I'd be inclined to think that it's a hardware issue with your phone not getting the best signal.

As far as the blackberry is concerned, I'm pretty certain that they have a significantly higher battery capacity and don't provide the same data-sync feature set. Granted the BB is an email/task/calendar machine, but it doesn't do quite as much everywhere else.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    I don't have hard data handy to back up any claims I make, but I've been able to go more than 2 full days on with my Pre when the days are lighter-use. I'd say with moderate use (and it really is moderate), my pre will be dead in 2 full days.

In your case, I guess I'd be inclined to think that it's a hardware issue with your phone not getting the best signal.

As far as the blackberry is concerned, I'm pretty certain that they have a significantly higher battery capacity and don't provide the same data-sync feature set. Granted the BB is an email/task/calendar machine, but it doesn't do quite as much everywhere else.
    I used to be able to web surf (slowly) and read RSS feeds during my 30-40 minute subway ride (using the Blackberry). Now, I don't even take the Pre out. And, yet, I'll lose 8-10% of the battery simply because the phone was on standby.

I'm hesitant to take the Pre in for an exchange, because I've not had any of the physical problems (e.g., Oreo, cracked screen) that others have had. And, given that Sprint is replacing Pre's with used ones (with scratches and all), I might as well wait to see if the update helps enough.
    I have no battery issues. For those who loose 10% of your battery on a 40min subway ride with the phone is in standby I would say there is something wrong with your settings or you're doing too many syncs or something. I've had my phone on standby for almost three days without charging. I have my phone set to "as mail arrives" activesync account, and I have none of these issues. I love my phone, and I'm very happy with the battery life.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradb21 View Post
    I have no battery issues. For those who loose 10% of your battery on a 40min subway ride with the phone is in standby I would say there is something wrong with your settings or you're doing too many syncs or something. I've had my phone on standby for almost three days without charging. I have my phone set to "as mail arrives" activesync account, and I have none of these issues. I love my phone, and I'm very happy with the battery life.
    Like I said, senior Sprint rep (one of the dan@sprint team) said that this is how the Pre was designed, that there is nothing wrong with my phone, and that I should have returned the phone within the 30 day period if that kind of battery life doesn't work for me. Another rep told me the same thing, but said that Palm was developing a bigger battery and I could buy one of those when it comes out.

I will admit: I have IM turned on. I actually didn't see a substantial difference, so I just leave it on. I have "as mail arrives" on. For GPS, I don't see a substantial difference with it on or off. I never have BT on. I have WiFi turned off, except when I'm at home and my Touchstone is there.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast