Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    None of these updates concern me.

My problem is, I have bitter memories of Palm releasing no updates and letting problems linger for years so I'm really looking for indications that it will be different this time.

Was expecting more from a 1.1 release. I hope they are just not mentioning a ton of bug fixes that will be included.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    My hope (and guess) is that an update addressing a few bugs/missing functionalty comes before 1.1 Don't forget we got a third update in week four (I think) so hopefully we'll be up to five updates in seven/eight weeks.
    Other threads have mentioned coding in WebOS that has been commented out (purposefully disabled?) for one reason or another so hopefully Palm has solved the issues (or just enabled the coding to create the illusion of update) so we have more stuff before 1.1

I'm not saying that the slide mentioned in the article is definitely genuine but people pointing out that includes a date in May doesn't mean that everything is completely bogus - delays in programming happen more than anyone wants.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    1. Seems totally fake.
    2. This is 1.1? Wow, we'll have video recording when version 5.0 hits..
    0.x releases are usually bug fixes.

x.0 releases are usually means new stuff was added.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Now that I think of it, the date in May does make sense because the update would still have to be tested internally before it was released to us!
    Last edited by TheCIArr; 07/09/2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Typo
    I think that 1.1, or some update is being tested at Palm. I called about my inability to add an Exchange account and after upgrading to level 2 I received a call back today. They asked me if it would be ok with me to give them all of my log in information so that they can do testing on their devices and then get back to me.

My hope is that when they call back (they said 2 days) they tell me that it has been tested and will work when the next update is released. They probably won't say when, but that's good enough for me!
    i wonder if expired ssl cert issue/bypass is fixed. Sorry guys but email functionallity is VERY important, as it's implementation is a direct shot at RIM...
    definitely copy and paste..

ANYONE else impressed by the iphone commercial with copy and paste? certainly looks to be leagues ahead of us, hopefully not for long!!
    Quote Originally Posted by theromanone View Post
    definitely copy and paste..

ANYONE else impressed by the iphone commercial with copy and paste? certainly looks to be leagues ahead of us, hopefully not for long!!
    i fast forward past any apple commercial, so no.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    i wonder if expired ssl cert issue/bypass is fixed. Sorry guys but email functionallity is VERY important, as it's implementation is a direct shot at RIM...
    I'm not sure about expired, but the scenario I explained above is being caused (I believe) by a self signed certificate. I have no idea how our server works but apparently the devices use a certificate but there is none on the server. I have logged into the server and checked out Certification Authority and it comes up empty. Our IT guy said there is no certificate on the Exchange server, or something along those lines.

Whenever I login to OWA from a computer I get the windows security threat screen, but I can login fine from my Pre (having the certs installed).

We shall see!
    Last edited by pavvento; 07/10/2009 at 02:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    if you really want text forwarding, just root your pre and follow this: pre dev wiki: Forward Messages
    While rooting is great and is something I have done myself, some things need to be OOB.

Certain features should be OOB on every phone todate, eg MMS, contact groups, SMS forwarding, and bomb diffusers.

For those asking "why SMS forwarding"
    Imagine if you will your employees need to be notified of something and say they are all highschool kids-- sure you could email them( what highschooler uses email these days?) or call them one by one. However why take all that extra time when you could simply hit "Forward" then throw in a contact group.

The above situation can changed as needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    i fast forward past any apple commercial, so no.
    well, then you missed the part where it's able to copy the text and picture from a website and paste right into an e-mail as a whole.. that includes phone numbers, etc.. pretty nice
    Quote Originally Posted by gsima66 View Post
    if they just include real copy paste, a slider for music app, and text forwarding i should be happy ^_^
    YES +1 +1 +1

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by theromanone View Post
    well, then you missed the part where it's able to copy the text and picture from a website and paste right into an e-mail as a whole.. that includes phone numbers, etc.. pretty nice
    That's Apple for you. Sure it took them a long time to get it out, but when they did it's pretty dam good. Same goes for universal search on the iPhone-it took 2 years, but it searches emails and calendar.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If someone has a work flow that requires them to forward messages every day, e-mail is a much better solution.

There are a bunch of other advantages I can list.
    Wanted to address this: my employees do not have access to their own email accounts, but I need updates throughout the day. They all do, however, have text capable phones with unlimited messaging plans. I respond further up the ladder to my boss via text messages as well, as it is faster and honestly easier than email. Important, I-might-need-a-record-of-this stuff gets emailed (usually from the desktop), but I can see no reason why daily sales updates should be emailed instead of SMSed.
    I'd also like to see better support for phone numbers. Whenever there is a phone number in an email it seems as if the Pre doesn't recognize it to make it clickable. If the number has parenthesis around the area code it doesn't work, and I'm sure there are a few other types of formats it doesn't read.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    The 1.1 release information I would suggest is a sufficiently large enough set to justify several jumps in the 0.x order. I believe we are at 1.03 or 1.04 so a jump to 1.1 would suggest decent bug fixes. So Palm are treating these EAS changes (which I would call additions) as fixes to bugs. So it sounds like they had the code in the original release but left it disabled until they were happy they had it working.

You have to hand it to Palm I don't know of any other provider who is releasing changes at this rate of knots.

I suspect we will see a few more 0.x releases and then a full X.0 release. Hopefully shortly after the GSM model has been running !!

Whilst all of the changes listed in this release aren't good enough for everyone I don't think any other provider would be adding stuff this quickly so you don't have long to wait.

Priorities for me (in descending order)
    1. PIM improvements please - e.g. MUST BE ABLE TO ADD CONTACTS TO AN APPOINTMENT, SEE ATTENDEE RESPONSES etc
    2. Landscape in all programs please
    3. On screen keyboard please

PIM improvements are key for me and the data is already presented by activesync so its just a matter of populating the PIM app with the data - c'mon Palm.

Give me the perfect day
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Apparently the current version is 1.04 (0.0x) and the upgrade is 1.1 (0.x)
    That says to me that the upgrade is going to not only contain bug fixes but minor functionality additions (especially as the next upgrade would have been expected to be 1.05).
    So I would say
    0.0x (i.e. 1.04) provides bug fixes
    0.x (i.e. 1.5) provides bug fixes and minor new features
    x.0 (i.e. 2.0) provides significant functional changes

This seems to hold true when you look at more details coming out about 1.5
    from Tech radar which states there will be more apps, better sound and improved Exchange support
    Palm Pre getting webOS 1.1 upgrade | News | TechRadar UK
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

An excerpt that pertains:

In principle, in subsequent releases, the major number is increased when there are significant jumps in functionality, the minor number is incremented when only minor features or significant fixes have been added, and the revision number is incremented when minor bugs are fixed.
    Please remember, it's 1.0.4, not 1.04

Don't mean to sound harsh or anything . . .
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    This is a jump from 1.0.4 to 1.1. This is going to be a pretty major update, second only only to a complete version jump (1.x to 2.x). I expect a lot of optimizations and fixes.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast