webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > It's Ba-a-a-ck! New Rumor on WebOs for Netbooks
It's Ba-a-a-ck! New Rumor on WebOs for Netbooks

Old 07/09/2009, 02:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Quote:
It seems obvious, in light of Google's Chrome operating system initiative, that Palm's plans for its WebOS software are much bigger than the Pre phone.

Here are three reasons Palm will push into the netbook market:
  • Laptops are shrinking to the size of, well, Palm tops.
  • Palm has dipped a toe here before with the ill-fated Foleo.
  • Smartphones and mini-notebooks are almost the same and, it's where all the action is.

The market for software to run next-generation mobile computing devices is surprisingly wide open. Microsoft, Apple, now Google and eventually Palm are leading the race to this space. And while the opportunity is huge, developing the right system, one that's light enough to run for nine hours but muscular enough to hoist several programs at one time, is the big challenge.

Tech giants are approaching the target from different angles. Microsoft and Apple have to scale down computer operating systems, while Google and Palm have to beef up smartphone software.

Linux software seems to fit the specs. The cheap, open-source, developer-friendly system is at the core of Google's Chrome plan, and it is the code inside Palm's WebOS.

Analysts like Trip Chowdhry with Global Equities Research have proposed that Palm will make netbooks. And numerous bloggers have speculated that Palm will take another stab at the Foleo, a failed early netbook effort designed puzzlingly as a smartphone accessory
Tech Rumor of the Day: Palm | Technology | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
SharonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 03:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

This will be an interesting "battle". Right now, the majority of netbooks run Windows, and I think a few run Linux (out of the box). Google will be bringing Chrome OS (which sounds similar to webOS if you think about it), Palm is bring webOS, and Apple is possibly bringing out a netbook Mac with OS X. Interesting.
BlaqkAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 03:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ok I understand where you are coming from but a statement like
"Smartphones and mini-notebooks are almost the same"
is stretching it too far. Like I said I know where you are coming from but you need to give the reader a bit more of an understanding as many will disagree with you on this.

My opinion is Palm has enough of a challenge agains the smaller phone manufacturers and its a matter of how many battles you can fight. As Palm are only now dragging themselves out of the mud it would do them well to sit back and wait. There will be fallout as the web centric OS matures and there will be some very big guns in there. What you don't want is Palm to be part of that fallout. Let others make mistakes (and grab market share) and there will be enough to go around once the standards based Web OS starts to be adopted by the 2nd (and more significant) adoption wave.

Just my humble opinion
as147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 03:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Seeing how:
- webOS is currently only available for one phone
- webOS is still missing a lot of functionality
- Palm is just recovering from a near crash
- and the company has only around 1k employees to go around

... I don't see this happening any time soon. I think making webOS a success on phones will be enough work for them the coming, let's say, two years..
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: hrdcamjc
Old 07/09/2009, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't see it either. Basically the rumor says, hey look, Google is doing it, it must have been part of Palm's plan all along! Which is ridiculous. And now that Google is doing it, would Palm really be looking for ways to square off in direct competition?
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

This would be great, if Netbooks were really garnering the public's attention. Unfortunately, Netbooks are selling about as well as the pet rock did, and most are showing up refurbished at this point.

You can actually read a great article about Netbooks and pursing a new OS on them here: Analyzing Google's Chrome OS strategy | Speeds and feeds - CNET News
Siraris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
This would be great, if Netbooks were really garnering the public's attention. Unfortunately, Netbooks are selling about as well as the pet rock did, and most are showing up refurbished at this point.

You can actually read a great article about Netbooks and pursing a new OS on them here: Analyzing Google's Chrome OS strategy | Speeds and feeds - CNET News
Unfortunately the writer doesn't have a clue regarding Netbooks.

He states that the refurbished market confirms his suggestion that they are "not good for much"

Tell him to look at any industry research org (IDC, Gartner, Forrester etc)

EVERY manufacturer (except Apple) are producing consumer AND Enterprise class netbooks

Netbooks over the last two years have consistently been the only growth in the PC market and Laptops/Netbooks have started to finally outsell desktops

MS had to extend the life of XP and had to drastically drop its OS prices for netbooks. I could go on (as I have had to study this stuff) but I'll leave you with a few facts and figures
  • In Q3/08 Netbook sales grew 160% - NPD 2008
  • Gartner Expects shipments of netbooks to rise to more than 50 Million in 2012, the market for netbooks should hit 35million during 2009. ABI 2009
  • In a single year netbooks had become 7% of the worlds entire laptop market, next year it will be 12% IDC 2009
  • Telcos are selling Netbooks with GPRS plans (using the same model as phones i.e. heavily subsidised or free). This is disrupting the traditional PC supplier ecosystem
  • Netbooks are here to stay. In Q4/08 Netbooks topped Amazons sales charts for the top 09/10 laptops sold.
Here is a key point
Netbooks can run applications and perform perfectly well for 80-90% of your standard users. And now the new ATOM systems have dual core ATOM processors and NVIDIA ION processors which enable better graphics rendering than on standard PCs.

Combine this with the portability and the ability to run for more than 6 hours without mains power and you can see why these are actually selling like hotcakes

Netbooks are now entering the corporate world.
Nettops (a new class of ATOM based) desktop is emerging with many of the same power and cost saving benefits.

Google and Microsoft are looking at powering their datacentres with ATOM based processors. Because ATOM processors use upto 70% less power and generate 60-70% less heat they are very appealing to datacentres that power the cloud. They can cram three processors in a 3.5x3.5 inch square motherboard. Three ATOM processors provide the required power to replace one blade server which is significantly more expensive. The financial, environmental (coolling,electricity) savings is enormous

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx

Last edited by as147; 07/09/2009 at 12:21 PM.
as147 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0