Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    You know, I ran out of batteries on my Garmin, so I had to rely on my Sprint Navigation on my Pre. It NEVER once acquired the address to go to the stupid destination. It keeps giving me the "Cannot find your location" that takes a minute and a half to show me. I mean, I DO have a clear view of the sky (I'm driving) and I put the stupid phone on my dash where it can see through the window just fine.

    When that didn't work, I pulled over, stopped the car, and put the phone outside of my window (again with no obstructions to my view). "Cannot find your location". Lastly, I tried google maps, and BAM! It was showing me I was heading West on the 10 Freeway.

    Charged my Garmin, turned it on, and after 5-6 minutes, it acquired the satellites it needed to give me directions to my destination. So I just gave up on Sprint Navigation, since it couldn't find me anyways...

    To me, Sprint Navigation sucks, because it doesn't work for me. If google maps can find me, Sprint Navigation should also. Sadly, it doesn't.

    So I share the pain! It worked about 10-20% of the time I tried it out. Most other times was "Cannot find your location, make sure you have a clear view of the sky... bla bla bla".

    Sprint Nav worked flawlessly for me for weeks. Then all of the sudden this week, this exact thing started happening. I think it may be something with the software itself, because it also has stopped asking for access to my location about half the time. It now no longer works at all anywhere, just does the "getting gps" thing and then fails. I've tried it from about 15 different locations around Atlanta this week.

    I'm going to try a hard reset to see if that fixes it and maybe call sprint.
  2. #42  
    turn the autolocate gps and it will be working fine... there is some software issues when sprint nav is asking for access to GPS... look at google maps it works fine but sprint nav not...
  3. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #43  
    I had a good laugh with Sprint Nav a few days ago when I used it for the first time. I didn't really need it since I knew where I was going (about 55 miles away) but figured I would play with it anyways. Turned it on, was impressed with the constant updates and exact location on a dime, until I came to my exit from the freeway. It told me to go to the next exit instead. Ok, I will play along I thought, so I went to the next exit. It then wanted me to turn right (when I needed to go to the other side of the freeway), but I missed the turn and it was quick to redirect me. It actually had me turn around under the free way and head back towards the exit I should have been directed to get off on in the first place.

    Oh well, it was all in good fun for me. I would have been pissed if I really had needed it to get me somewhere and quickly.
  4. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    I had a good laugh with Sprint Nav a few days ago when I used it for the first time. I didn't really need it since I knew where I was going (about 55 miles away) but figured I would play with it anyways. Turned it on, was impressed with the constant updates and exact location on a dime, until I came to my exit from the freeway. It told me to go to the next exit instead. Ok, I will play along I thought, so I went to the next exit. It then wanted me to turn right (when I needed to go to the other side of the freeway), but I missed the turn and it was quick to redirect me. It actually had me turn around under the free way and head back towards the exit I should have been directed to get off on in the first place.

    Oh well, it was all in good fun for me. I would have been pissed if I really had needed it to get me somewhere and quickly.
    Maybe it follows the UPS "no left turn" policy.
  5. #45  
    It has acted up with me & my cousin in austin & san antonio TX. Basially it would say to make a you turn confusing you while driving or completely saying it could not get network 0 times. I use google maps alot more now with the pre. Sprint does have some nice features though (when it works as it should).
  6. #46  
    I get the "could not find your location" error about 50% of the time. Google works every time. I'd love to hear if someone found a solution to the problem that some of us are having- I'd much rather stream pandora and telenav via bluetooth, and NOT have to look at Google maps while I'm driving.
  7. #47  
    I've found that the GPS works great when compared to my previous phones. Sprint Navigation itself is awfully U-turn happy, but for a free program, I can deal with it.
  8. #48  
    Guys, there's def something to this & its not just the OP.

    I can tell you right now that I've had the Pre since launch & Sprint Navigation used to work great. But OMFG does it ever suck now. I live in Jacksonville FL (which isnt exactly a small city) & this thing NEVER steers me in the right direction.

    For instance, its constantly saying "re-routing", even when I first start my directions. And its just always trying to put me onto the wrong roads, trying to make me do U turns, etc. I swear to God its useless & I end up cussing at it the entire time.

    And I dont think its my internal GPS because Google Maps is always right on & tracks me perfectly. Plus, I've done a couple re-installs with webOS Doctor, even setting up a new Palm Profile so my Pre is totally refreshed & still nothing.

    So yeah, Sprint Navigation is doing some funky stuff on some Pres apparently. Like I said, its complete junk on my phone & useless.

    P.S. Everything is turned On under the Location preferences, so thats not it.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkmonst3r View Post
    When i check the address, the navigation didnt find the provided address so the pre decided to reroute us to another similar address (40 minutes out of the way!!!!)
    Yeah, when you see routing address popup, pay attention to the address. This happens to me once in a while. More often when I was visiting South Carolina recently. Was checking out new housing developments, and basically some of the addresses didn't exist in the system. Funny thing is, the addresses didn't exist in Google Maps either. But they did on MapQuest. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Guys, there's def something to this & its not just the OP.

    I can tell you right now that I've had the Pre since launch & Sprint Navigation used to work great. But OMFG does it ever suck now. I live in Jacksonville FL (which isnt exactly a small city) & this thing NEVER steers me in the right direction.

    For instance, its constantly saying "re-routing", even when I first start my directions. And its just always trying to put me onto the wrong roads, trying to make me do U turns, etc. I swear to God its useless & I end up cussing at it the entire time.

    And I dont think its my internal GPS because Google Maps is always right on & tracks me perfectly. Plus, I've done a couple re-installs with webOS Doctor, even setting up a new Palm Profile so my Pre is totally refreshed & still nothing.

    So yeah, Sprint Navigation is doing some funky stuff on some Pres apparently. Like I said, its complete junk on my phone & useless.

    P.S. Everything is turned On under the Location preferences, so thats not it.
    Go into preferences and try the other types of routes to suit you the best. I am constantly switching between Fastest, Shortest, and Traffic-Optimized depending on where I'm going and what kind of area I will have to go through to get there.
  10. #50  
    I've used Sprint Nav for about 3 years now (Mogul, Touch Pro and now Pre). Works great.

    The rerouting when I miss a turn is superb.

    Highway delay distances are usually dead on.

    Very infrequent that I will argue with the directions the program is giving me(if I know the route) and sooner or later it corrects itself. I usually go with Fastest route.

    As always, your mileage may vary. (Pun intended)
  11. #51  
    i hardly ever use it but when i did a couple time it worked just fine...
  12. #52  
    Hmm, dat sucks. Definitely works A-OK for me, never had a problem. Only wish I can route active directions from Google Maps to the Navigator app. That'd be too sweet! CHOICES Palm, let us do it!!
  13. klau25's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    795 Global Posts
    #53  
    still like my garmin much better. i tested them both side by side once and the garmin gave me a much better route to my friend's house which is the same way i would had taken. i think it's good to use if the place i am going is a new address that's not on my garmin database, or i am in a friend's car who doesn't have gps. otherwise, my garmin is still the default gps for me. don't get me wrong, i still think sprint is awesome to give us a free gps navi as part of the data package, unlike at&t who will charge you extra 10 a month for it. but there def some improvement needed for the sprint navi.

    question, for those of you who say that it works flawlessly, had anyone of you tested it side by side with another gps? what was the results, better, worse or about the same?
  14. #54  
    which is what happened driving downtown Atlanta and Milwaukee Scary!!!

    what do you do?
  15. pico23's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik2009 View Post
    I've had crashing and hanging and failure to lock onto GPS almost every time I've tried to use the sprint navigation app. Also, I don't think there's any way to look at a full list of turn-by-turn directions. Am I wrong?

    Meanwhile, every time I've had a problem getting Sprint Nav to work, I just switch over to Google Maps. Google's app is much much better. GPS lock is fine, searches are instantaneous, and turn-by-turn directions are easy to read. The only limitation is that Google Maps won't talk to you.

    If you have any advice for making sprint navigation suck less, I'm all ears.
    Tap the screen for a turn by turn list.


    As far as it sucking, absolutely not. I expected it to, and wasn't even excited about it. Holy crap, it is VERY VERY GOOD.

    First off spoken names are accurate, the GPS is accurate, routing is good, the traffic alerts and rerouting are good, and it's free.

    Downsides, you can't start it up if you don't have a signal. However, it will run end to end if you start it when you have service.

    If the Pre had more memory, Sprint could download the software to the phone and let it mostly run natively, but my standalone GPS requires about 2-4GB of memory to store all the maps and POI so that wouldn't work on the Pre.

    However, the upside is it's always up to date, and POI database seems quite big if not exceptional.

    I actually rarely use my GPS at all anymore for local stuff (local meaning stuff that is within a days drive of home). For longer trips I still prefer the GPS because I like having the heads up display. It means less chance of missing a turn, and I like location awareness. Plus, you can't "armchair" plan on the pre, although you can use Sprints website to preplan trips and have them downloaded to the phone.

    I guess the biggest reason to not use the Pre is not having the phone tied up as a GPS, and there are still places that I travel to that lack good cell coverage. But overall, I've been very happy with it.
  16. pico23's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by klau25 View Post

    question, for those of you who say that it works flawlessly, had anyone of you tested it side by side with another gps? what was the results, better, worse or about the same?
    Truthfully, I've never been thrilled with any GPS for routing options. I usually use fastest when in doubt because it keeps me on big roads with faster speed limits, and less turns. If I'm in no hurry and traveling in a rural area, I will go with shortest, or economical in many cases just to see if I can save a few miles on the odometer (I drive about 25-40K miles per year).

    On long trips I set intermediate waypoints to force the GPS to give me directions/routes I like. I like rural backroads where I can make up some time on shorter routes, with less chance of finding a laser toting police officer with a fat ticket pad. Plus, the backroads are way more fun to drive.

    I've been very happy with it's routing compared to MS Streets and trips (excellent for long distance trip planning, real time construction data, POI, and a big *** display on a laptop or netbook), and my iGo based stand alone unit. Compared to a magellan it seemed accurate to.

    Routing a purely a personal preference, unless the GPS is taking you on some seriously backwards route, most are similar in time/distance and just a matter of preference to the operator.
  17. APEowner's Avatar
    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    #57  
    I've been fairly impressed with the software but for it to be usable in the North East it absolutely needs to do some sort of caching of the maps. There are just to many areas where there isn't a data signal. There are parts of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont where you can drive for well over an hour with no cell signal. To be a tool that can be relied on it needs to either cache the maps for a route after it calculates it or perhaps the surrounding 50 miles whenever it has a data signal. If I had expected this phone to replace my GPS I would be one unhappy camper.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik2009 View Post
    Works great for me. Used it in downtown Chicago a few weeks ago and couldn't really complain given it's price.
  19. #59  
    Turn ON Auto Locate to use Sprint Nav.
  20. pico23's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
    I've been fairly impressed with the software but for it to be usable in the North East it absolutely needs to do some sort of caching of the maps. There are just to many areas where there isn't a data signal. There are parts of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont where you can drive for well over an hour with no cell signal. To be a tool that can be relied on it needs to either cache the maps for a route after it calculates it or perhaps the surrounding 50 miles whenever it has a data signal. If I had expected this phone to replace my GPS I would be one unhappy camper.
    Yep, a fellow northeasterner. I travel a lot in the Adirondacks, VT, and NH mountains and I always point out this shortfall of cell based GPS.

    Oddly, despite all the hoopla over the last few years of lack of cell coverage in the Adirondacks, and the fact that putting cell towers up in the Adirondacks is a nightmare due to constitutional protections, I can say that VT is now 10X worse, which is odd because almost every VT summit is ruined with a ski hill, or a road, or a tower of some sort.

    So I laugh at the complaints of people driving from NYC to Montreal that The Northway (I-87) is a death trap because of lack of cell coverage...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions