Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    first I've heard anyone say it sucks
    so its probably you
    i love it
    I'm 50/50 in Sprints NAV; at least it is leaps and bounds better than it use to be a few years ago, but in time everything gets better! Yes if blows away Google and Live but is sucks compared to the Garmin XT I had on my q9c. Mainly because I had the maps on my phone instead of constantly dl'ing data and it told me my speed which was great when my speedometer died and it also has points of interests like red light cameras. Now I do not make a habit of running red lights, but I have been known to go thru some yellows but not if I had a red light warning! Oh and speed cameras, who couldn't use that info................I really wish Garmin would be available on the Pre, but I doubt it will!
    I tried it for the first time Monday and it worked fine for me. I like it a lot better than google maps.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    the other night we thought the Sprint Nav was being wacko, telling us to turn where we knew we shouldn't...& then I noticed that we were on the wrong road & the Nav was trying to tell us the correct way.....& we were data roaming!
    So in my experience, it works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkmonst3r View Post
    and everyone in the car was mad jocking the pre, listening to my music, watching me send emails and text seemlessly while driving, also watching Charlie the unicorn without missing a beat on youtube...
    All of that while driving?

No wonder they need to pass laws against cell phone and text usage while driving!
    I love telenav!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    It's been great for me.
    I think it's just you it works better than my Garmin, if I had a car mount for it I would sell my Garmin.
    Love my Sprint Nav!!
    I enjoyed Garmin XT on my LG Incite as it worked flawlessy. I live in St Louis and driving on the major highways I couldn't get a GPS lock even though it showed full service. However, my friend with an HTC Mogul loves the Sprint NAV. I turned my phone off and then on and it has worked fine as far as getting a signal since then, I am just still used to Garmin's UI. The girlfriend loves it and says she has had no problems so i am sure it will grow on me. Try shutting the phone off and on if you haven't already.
    Only thing missing is a GPS only mode. It loses it's luster when going through areas with little or no Sprint signal. Crapped out on me only 2 or 3 times in 2 years so no real big deal. Just don't get lost in the moutains with it.... you're screwed.
    Works fine for me, although it doesn't hold a candle to TomTom. The main problem I have with it is if you can't get a data signal you can't use it. Understandable I suppose.
    You know, I ran out of batteries on my Garmin, so I had to rely on my Sprint Navigation on my Pre. It NEVER once acquired the address to go to the stupid destination. It keeps giving me the "Cannot find your location" that takes a minute and a half to show me. I mean, I DO have a clear view of the sky (I'm driving) and I put the stupid phone on my dash where it can see through the window just fine.

When that didn't work, I pulled over, stopped the car, and put the phone outside of my window (again with no obstructions to my view). "Cannot find your location". Lastly, I tried google maps, and BAM! It was showing me I was heading West on the 10 Freeway.

Charged my Garmin, turned it on, and after 5-6 minutes, it acquired the satellites it needed to give me directions to my destination. So I just gave up on Sprint Navigation, since it couldn't find me anyways...

To me, Sprint Navigation sucks, because it doesn't work for me. If google maps can find me, Sprint Navigation should also. Sadly, it doesn't.

So I share the pain! It worked about 10-20% of the time I tried it out. Most other times was "Cannot find your location, make sure you have a clear view of the sky... bla bla bla".
    After several tests, I find the routing engine in Sprint Navigation to be extremely poor. It chooses weird routes and it will eventually state that it "can't find your location." It re-routes very slowly and seemingly intelligently for me. Additionally, the volume for voice prompts is extremely low and you can't use it landscape. The phone gets extremely warm during use. Sprint Nav is worthless if you can't get a data signal. I also have never been a fan of Teleatlas maps (though they are supposedly on par with Navteq)

I would never choose Sprint Nav over a standalone GPS unit. I normally always have a standalone GPS on me. I would only use Sprint nav in severe circumstances or just to show it off to someone. Your mileage may vary, since I'm a GPS purist and the owner of several Garmin and Magellan models.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drac0Linux View Post
    Navigation has worked great for me on a trip to Tallahassee. I just wish it would show the current speed though (maybe it exists and I haven't found it yet.)
    Do you mean you want the current speed of traffic conditions of the roads along your route? If so I've found that if you hit the 'traffic' tab it will show the MPH on major roadways. I agree, it would be nice to know if traffic is moving along on the side streets as well...do the Garmins and Tom Toms provide this info?

I use the Sprint Nav faithfully because my job requires traveling throughout the state of NJ, lots of it in rural areas. The nav indicated that a major highway was congested and offered an alt route through the boonies arriving 10 min earlier to my destination. Unfortunately it didn't say there was slow moving traffic for about 5 miles on the one lane road. I lost signal a few times, but it picked right back up and did not steer me off course, and I arrived on time as scheduled. So, I'm pretty pleased with it, hasn't gotten me lost yet in this uncharted territory. Just need a holder.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    After several tests, I find the routing engine in Sprint Navigation to be extremely poor. It chooses weird routes and it will eventually state that it "can't find your location." It re-routes very slowly and seemingly intelligently for me. Additionally, the volume for voice prompts is extremely low and you can't use it landscape. The phone gets extremely warm during use. Sprint Nav is worthless if you can't get a data signal. I also have never been a fan of Teleatlas maps (though they are supposedly on par with Navteq)
    I agree, the phone gets extremely hot, but have no problem with the voice prompts...Sally talks loud enough for me and repeats quite often to make sure I heard.

Wierd routes?...haven't gotten that because I set it to ask me how I want to go each time (traffic optimized, fastest, shortest, avoid highways, etc). I check out what she's suggesting and if I don't like it I try one of the other selections just to compare...but if there are two ways and the one I pick is not the best, she offers an alternative anyhow, and I usually take her advice.

Re-routing can sometimes be slow, and sometimes it says I'm off track when I'm not, or it will re-route to the route it was already following...but I've seen these same things happen with a standalone GPS and also on my mom's Verizon phone (is that telenav too?)

As mentioned before, I did lose signal for a few minutes and was fine...although the screen stopped moving in 3d, I could still view the listed traffic route so I would not have missed my turn because I could read where to go. The signal came back in and out (I was up in the mountains of Hunterdon County)...but I arrived to my destination just fine. Now, I hope that when I go to West Va. with all those mountains and poor reception (I can just imagine), I hope I don't have a problem. Think I will bring along a standalone GPS just in case...but I'm going to still let Sally take the lead and hope she shines!!
    Its just you.
    The software is great but the navigational routing needs a little work. Taking me from my home to my gf's job it insists I spend 15 minutes in city streets when I can shave a bunch of time off by just taking the on ramp to the freeway and getting off two offramps later.

Also, when taking me from my gf's job back home, it again insists on city streets and tries to make me go backwards down the one way street i live on. I know I can't do that so I skip that step then it tells me take the next right. I take the next right and it drives me to the end of the road where you can walk through a pathway to get to my street but unfortunately it's 2 feet wide and my car won't fit. LOL!
    Probably the best Navi I've ever used, first of all. TeleNav is always updating the App to give you the most up to date roads and POI's. My wife has an Instinct and we will be sitting in the driveway going somewhere and she tries to load up the address her phone craps out and gives the whole "weak gps" non-sense. Fire up the Pre and in about 30 seconds we are on are way with A GPS lock. So the App is awesome but you have to have good Hardware as well. Will never buy a Stand-Alone GPS.

Also went cross country driving (almost) New Mexico to DC with no probs, found hotels and places to eat along the way. Cant' say enough good things about this app.

So yeah it's "You"
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    That sucks that some of you are having issues. I haven't had any of the issues mentioned, and I've used it pretty extensively in the DC and Baltimore metro areas; mostly walking, though.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast