Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by drnycallstar19 View Post
    feel bad for bartman and the cubs..but since when is it the steve bartman curse? All he did was keep the goat curse going.
    go marlins!

:d
    I'd say today, thurday 7/9
    I asked a local Palm Reader because I figured, of all people, she would know. She said next monday (07/13/09).
    aug. 1st
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    As long as there's some 'newness' in it..
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Whenever it is they better get a lot more stuff fixed than in the previous releases. This is not a critiscm of the last set of updates but a statement that the challenge is growing. The reason is that more and more people are getting to the edge of capability and expectations of the device are growing (rightly or wrongly).

Just take a look at the geeks on here and the list of stuff that for them isn't functionally sufficient. This chatter will be heard by wider audiences and unless the chatter changes to "WOW Palm responded to the top 20 issues listed within a month....." then consumers may (strike that) WILL take a pause before leaping in (if at all). The purchases now need to start being emotional rather than functional ones but the lack of functionality and escalating noise this is creating will dampen any enthusiasm quickly. The only way to generate real emotional purchasing is through brand and extensive marketing which Palm doesn't have the money for and probably still has quite a few patches to go before they start blowing their trumpet.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I agree with you and also want to comment that we have noticed here that there are many settings and feature that are allready built in the OS such as adding additional pages on the launcher, that it makes me personally think that this is a strategy by palm.
    I think they may have wanted to release the device with not 100% of its capabilities or features, get response from users and then later on release an update that a. adds the features that were not released yet and b. add fixes that users mentioned are needed and by that re-awaking the excitment arround the device.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I am currently reviewing the strategy for the whole company (13,000 emplyees) regarding mobile phones and PDA's and there is some interest in the changing landscape. However we are a Windows & Nokia shop in the main and any new devices need to provide the key functions for us to consider something else.

I am willing to have some limited functionality as I don't expect the device to provide as much integration as our current Windows mobile fleet but there are some functions that are deal breakers.

Leaving out what most users would see as key features is a gamble where the benefits don't warrant the gamble. I think we are talking about two different sets of functionality. The additional page and tweaks like customisations of appearance etc are probably built in and not enabled to see what the stability and performance of the device in the wild was like. Changes such as missing features e.g. not being able to invite attendees to an appointment is not disabled. I truly believe Palm just didn't write the code for it in the first version because they didn't see that as a priority at the time.

Both of the above are valid in and standard approaches in my opinion but its what they do next in terms of responding to those "missing" features that will count and will mark the type of support users will get. So far they have done very well by responding VERY quickly. In fact I would say they are class leaders in the current field. However as stated the next set of additions are more demanding and in most cases more crucial to cementing and building a sustainable user base for Palm.

Lets hope they respond.

My biggest concern is the lack of PIM functionality. I use calendaring almost hourly to review who has accepted meetings, adding/deleting attendees changing the time and location etc. In my role as an architect I network as a major part of the role. If my communication/networking device doesn't provide those functions then I wont use it.

I haven't purchased a PRE yet as I live in Australia but the fact remains if the PIM function is not more functional in these key contact/calendaring functions I and many of my colleagues (who have been waiting for this device) will not be purchasing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Anyone want to wager as to when the next update is gonna happen?

I'm going with FRIDAY 7/10. Because, heh, I like Fridays
    In 10 minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnell3 View Post
    I doubt the update will come on Friday as that is just a bad day to such things. Say something goes wrong you would have to bring people in over the weekend to fix it.
    1.0.2 and 1.0.3 both came out on Fridays.

I am gonna go with 7/17 unless there is some sort of "emergency" fix such as the one they did to close the whole with installing the homebrew apps via email.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
    1.0.2 and 1.0.3 both came out on Fridays.

I am gonna go with 7/17 unless there is some sort of "emergency" fix such as the one they did to close the whole with installing the homebrew apps via email.
    But 1.0.4 came out on a Monday. So my vote is for Monday, July 13.
    Hey so am I an *****? One of my grips with the store so far was that I had no good way of updating the apps without going to the store, seeing which ones were marked with an update and going one by one and updating them.

In hopes that I may have 1.0.5 pushed down, I went to the phone update app, and while I did not get the 1.0.5 that didnt exist yet, I did get it telling me which apps were out of date and had it let me update them all at once.

Am I the only one that didnt know it did this?
    Probably not the only one. Now the only one on the forum that is willing to admit it.... :-D
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by killface666 View Post
    Hey so am I an *****? One of my grips with the store so far was that I had no good way of updating the apps without going to the store, seeing which ones were marked with an update and going one by one and updating them.

In hopes that I may have 1.0.5 pushed down, I went to the phone update app, and while I did not get the 1.0.5 that didnt exist yet, I did get it telling me which apps were out of date and had it let me update them all at once.

Am I the only one that didnt know it did this?
    I've always update my apps that way easiest and fastest unless you get a network fart and have to start over
    the terrible formatting for the e-mails/txt replies is killing me.. and the lack of controls of notifications..

if these were fixed, i'd be OK for now.. but at this rate i think i'll be back to my bberry soon
    Even if you have a network/brain fart, the Pre recognizes which one messed up and sends it to the end of the list to download what it missed.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    The Palm CEO's daughter's cousin's neighbor's best friend's nanny's daughter's baby daddy's uncle's cleaning lady's aunt's professor told me with undeniable certainty that the next update, 1.1, will be released Tuesday, July 21.
    Looks like my earlier prediction...errrr...source, was right on the ball. What do I win if the 1.1 update is dropped on 7/21 instead of the newly rumored 7/22?
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrogen76 View Post
    Friday, August 14th
    no doubt, there should be a section for latest releases with dates
    Wed the 17th
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    When it shows up on your phone.....thats when it will be available
    The Wams
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123