Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    This is obvious, yet so much so that some people might not have thought of it.

I just loaded some comics onto my Pre to see if I would easily be able to view them, and it worked perfectly!!! I just mounted my Pre as a USB drive, then copied a folder with a comic volume onto it. I ejected the volume, and presto, my folder appeared in the Photos app. With its mutli-touch display, the Pre is perfect for pocket comic or manga viewing. The only caveat is that you need to make sure your image files are numbered appropriately so that you can read your comics in order. Enjoy.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    What format were the comics in? CBR/CBZ? Did you extract them or just rename to .rar/.zip? What format were the comics in within the archive? png? jpg?

So many questions...
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Just tried it out myself. CBZ, CBR, ZIP, and RAR files won't work. If you extract them JPG, JPEG, and PNG all work fine.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Candles, you beat me to the punch. You need to extract CBZ, CBR, ZIP, and RAR files, and then just copy over the images. I don't know exactly what formats the Pre supports offhand, yet it is probably fine with anything that you're likely to have (JPG or PNG). FYI, to extract from a CBZ or CBR file, just change the extension to either ZIP or RAR, depending on the extension (CBZ is ZIP), and extract.
    Nope, the Pre does not support PNG.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    According to the manual, it does.

Update: jhoff80, you were right. I searched the forum, and saw that due to a bug, PNG images don't appear in the photo app. I tested it, and the bug is still there. So it looks like one needs to convert to JPG.
    Last edited by roninj; 07/08/2009 at 12:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Wah. I'm assuming you guys use comic readers in Windows or Linux (or Mac?). How hard could that be to homebrew? Do you know if unzipping or unraring functions are built into WebOS? (Although compacting jpg's are really just to package them together, not to reduce size, so it doesn't really matter.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Wah. I'm assuming you guys use comic readers in Windows or Linux (or Mac?). How hard could that be to homebrew? Do you know if unzipping or unraring functions are built into WebOS? (Although compacting jpg's are really just to package them together, not to reduce size, so it doesn't really matter.)
    I was gonna make a comic book reader months ago, but I found no unzip/unrar functionality in the WebOS. I'm working on a substitute at the moment, though testing is going very slowly as I'm Canadian and without a Pre. Bad news is that chances are it'll only work on rooted devices.

But I absolutely agree, I love how the WebOS handles images and it's optimal for comic book viewing. I'll keep you guys updated when I have more substantial work done. Oh, if you guys have any ideas for an icon for the app or a name for it, PM me.
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 07/08/2009 at 06:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    But being Canadian doesn't disqualify you from having a Pre? Oh wait, you must mean you LIVE in Canada too. My bad.

Since I'm feeling especially witty, I won't PM you, I'll just post my name suggestion here:

Pre-Com

(Guess you won't be asking for an icon after a suggestion like that...)
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Is there a mobile website with the comics?
    Quote Originally Posted by netz23 View Post
    Is there a mobile website with the comics?
    There's probably a few specifical comic books that provide mobile counterparts, but the vast majority don't unfortunately. Marvel Comics is planning something call Motion Comics (though I don't expect that to be as successful as they want). CBR and CBZ readers are generally the only way to get them on the mobile devices
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    OneManga for online reading of manga.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Pre-Com
    Hahaha... Sounds akin to something sexual
    It is already been done for you

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...t-c-h-etc.html

Thanks to roar there is a very good comic app for you pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I create a lot of themes and most of the time, I have to change the image file to a .png file just for it to show on the Pre. I would say as far as the Pre goes, it definitely supports .png
    First Alltel "smartphone" HTC Touch (4 devices); then HTC Diamond (1 device); then Blackberry Pearl 8130 (1 device; the Blackberry Curve 8330 (6 devices due to becoming Verizon customer ); then.... Finally the wondrous and amazing Palm Pre and I will never go back!
    I have been dying to read the Walking Dead graphic novels and have been looking for a way to load them on to my Pre. I will try this, is it really that easy to read them through the Photos App?
    First Alltel "smartphone" HTC Touch (4 devices); then HTC Diamond (1 device); then Blackberry Pearl 8130 (1 device; the Blackberry Curve 8330 (6 devices due to becoming Verizon customer ); then.... Finally the wondrous and amazing Palm Pre and I will never go back!
    Quote Originally Posted by stephani.forsythe View Post
    I create a lot of themes and most of the time, I have to change the image file to a .png file just for it to show on the Pre. I would say as far as the Pre goes, it definitely supports .png
    Palm actualy recommends using .png over .gif or .jpg for use within apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephani.forsythe View Post
    Back in July 2009 when I posted that, it didn't in the photo viewer app.
    Is a cbz reader possible now?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Is a cbz reader possible now?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    very much so, and I'm happy to say I've got some code started on it cbr is another natter, unfortunately and may take additional time. However, keep in mind, my top priority at the moment is getting Internalz and systoolsmgr ready for webOS 2.0.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast